• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally Bought an XM211 Deuce! 8-)

BugEyeBear

Where in Eastern GA? I saw that truck on ebay and almost bid! Glad you got it!! Good find!! I know where some parts trucks are if you need anything. there are two in SC that are rough but have most everything between them! I hope to see you at rally!:-D
Airmech,
I'm located near Statesboro (approx 1 hour west of Savannah).
I might be interested in looking at those parts trucks as my tailgate is a bit bent up & I need a few other misc pieces (shifter knob, carb to filter hose & elbow)... I'm bound to discover a few other missing bits & pieces once I see it in person!
Do you know if the parts trucks owner will sell parts? Or does he want to sell them as a whole unit? (prob not interested in the whole unit as transpo costs will be prohibitive...)
"Cheers!"
-Bear-

BugEyeBear

THANKS to former M211 Owner (& SS Member)!!!

I did some digging via Google, then via eBay, and then finally via the SS site and I managed to identify/locate the former owner (the owner before the guy I bought it from) of my new XM211 Deuce.

I took a chance and sent him an email & a private message requesting info on what had been done to this Deuce, all with the desire to better understand the truck's history, what items have already been addressed, and what Gremlins might still exist.

To my amazement I received a lightning fast and very informative response within minutes of my query!

I will allow him to remain anonymous, but I'd like to repeat my private message response here as a testiment of how great SS members can be...

DUDE YOU TOTALLY ROCK!! :not worthy:

Thank You so very much for the detailed answers and the lightning fast responses!!

Sounds like you put a whole lot of time & effort into making her road worthy... Thank You for all of your hard work!

I have added "Adjust Steering Box", "Fix Headlight Gremlins", "Change Trans Fluid", & "Plane Intake & Exhaust Manifolds" to my growing list of things to do!

Keep an eye on the SS site & I'll post updates on my progress.

& IF EVER you are down in this part of Georgia please stop by & visit.

"Cheers!" :beer:
Kevin -Bear- Berry

This is a great example of how valuable this resource is. The resource I'm referring to is NOT the SS site itself, but the SS Members!
THANKS AGAIN!! [thumbzup]

pedormont

Your new baby looks awesome!! I have two of them and am finding it difficult to part with either. The do steer better than the M35 and just seem to be more congealed. Still quite a few parts (NOS) out there. Best of luck and quit grinning so hard. Your face will hurt in the morning.

nattieleather

You reminded me....there are two types of M serries GMC owners...those that have a leaky exhust manifold and those that will... :D I never did get mine to stop leaking..... :(

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice looking truck. I was very close to buying an M211 as my first MV. I found my M35 closer to home and at a great price so I went that way. I do like the M211 body style...very cool.

The Rambo Mobile

Wild Horse Hans

That 211 was 50 miles from me. I was going to bid on it myself. I wish I had after seeing what it went for on ebay.
Best of luck with it!!!! I know it will serve you well.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why did they add the Y oil fill tubes to the later M211's? I have a 1954 and it has a Y pipe to fill the crankcase with oil.

Jim

I am not sure about this but I thought the Y oil filler pipe was super early production on the M135. I have only seen one of those and hundreds of the usual kind.

Nice truck by the way, that is how you hope to find them, so you don't have to fix every single thing and get burned out in the process!

jim-m35a2

I am not sure about this but I thought the Y oil filler pipe was super early production on the M135. I have only seen one of those and hundreds of the usual kind.

The truck is a M211 but the engine was either new or rebuilt from Memphis Equipment. Attached is another picture of the Y Oil pipe fill tube, may want to tilt your head to the right to see it. Were rebuilt engines blue?

Jim
________
Latin Girl Live

Attachments

Last edited:

KaiserM109

In '67 there was a 1954 M109 shop van with the same cab and chasis as an M211 for auction at GL just south of Washington, DC. I really, really wanted it! It was pictured with a tow bar still attached to the bumper.

I researched the truck and found out about the automatic transmission and its reputation. I also found out that Memphis Equipment Co had a rebuilt on on their shelf. I finally gave up on it because it would be too long of a recovery from Wash. DC to Denver, CO. The biggest factor was that it was 11 ft. tall and would require a lowboy trailer to haul it because of Interstate bridge clearances.

I cried when the truck went for $210.00.

I always liked that model truck because it is just about the ugliest thing the Army ever produced. I am eyeballing an M211 and an M215 in a field near here. I'm just not sure that I'm up to that kind of restoration.

BugEyeBear

...I always liked that model truck because it is just about the ugliest thing the Army ever produced. I am eyeballing an M211 and an M215 in a field near here. I'm just not sure that I'm up to that kind of restoration.
As they say, "BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER!"

Peronally while I like the M35s (& might get one some day) I prefer the lines of the older trucks.

Some people may see something as being old & ugly, while others will prefer to see it as mature, rugged, experienced, or even attractive...
...good thing for me as this allows me to still appeal to some women!! :cool:

Something out there for all of us!

"Cheers!" :beer:
-Bear-

nattieleather

IMHO I wished the Army had stuck with the M211 and modernized it as they did the M35s. I think the truck rides better, had a little better off road ability and yeah the lines of the truck were cool too. I'm sorry I sold mine, but at the time it was the right thing to do... :cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks