• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CA Finally found insurance for our deuce and a half

Tapper02

That's interesting. I bought an M915A1 from a buddy who had his insured through State Farm for the past 8 years. I contacted his insurance agent and asked to transfer the insurance over to me and thought I was good after making the payment and getting the insurance card. Then, two weeks later I get a notice in the mail stating that the vehicle is "ineligible for antique/private passenger rates due to the use and/or type of vehicle". No courtesy call, no email, no request for amplifying information....
This, despite the fact that I specifically told them I WAS NOT using it for commercial purposes and it was simply to move my own vehicles around. Now I'm looking for insurance again...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's interesting. I bought an M915A1 from a buddy who had his insured through State Farm for the past 8 years. I contacted his insurance agent and asked to transfer the insurance over to me and thought I was good after making the payment and getting the insurance card. Then, two weeks later I get a notice in the mail stating that the vehicle is "ineligible for antique/private passenger rates due to the use and/or type of vehicle". No courtesy call, no email, no request for amplifying information....
This, despite the fact that I specifically told them I WAS NOT using it for commercial purposes and it was simply to move my own vehicles around. Now I'm looking for insurance again...
I was just having a conversation with another member with a HMMWV and he was having similar problems. His answer was just a flat out NO. Don't hesitate to call other places. My previous SF agent did the same when I called. New SF agent that I talked to said absolutely yes and had me written in less than a workday. M1088, M1089, M936 M37 and a string of trailers all fully covered with the new guy.

Don't hesitate to say thanks for you time, goodbye and hang up. Then call the next one on your list. When I first started looking I was told no often and it wasn't my driving record causing it. What we want isn't "normal" so they are happy to say no...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
After being rejected by many insurance agencies, we finally obtained a policy through State Farm. Don't remember the exact amount off hand but roughly $260 for a 6 month policy for liability only. They were very easy to work with. We have a 1980 M35A2D
Congratulations zoomiefog !

It looks like you need my welcome message too.
Welcome to the outfit!

Glad that you have the insurance coverage you needed and now it is time to hit the road :cool:
Don't hesitate to download the TM's for your truck.
A splash of grease using the Lubrication Order TM will make your vehicle and you smile!

Tim

slantflat

I had State Farm for my Deuce until they changed my private passenger vehicle insurance to commercial. I said, this is a privately owned vehicle NOT being used for commerce of any kind. My agent said it doesn't matter, it's just because of the size of the truck. No thanks. Next thing you know some over-zealous person at the DMV decides it's a real commercial vehicle and my registration just tripled along with all the extra rules I need to abide by.

I called Hagerty and they didn't bat an eye. I don't remember what it costs exactly but it wasn't more than a couple hundred bucks for the year.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get a notice in the mail stating that the vehicle is "ineligible for antique/private passenger rates due to the use and/or type of vehicle". This, despite the fact that I specifically told them I WAS NOT using it for commercial purposes and it was simply to move my own vehicles around. Now I'm looking for insurance again...
For the last 12 or so years it's been increasingly hard to obtain antique vehicle insurance for tractors and dumps .. My first hit was in 2010 when I tried to insure a 1978 commercial tandem dump we restored for parades .. It was deemed "too new and commercially useable." The next hit was a year or two later when I tried to insure a 1950's IHC tractor we yanked from retirement to haul a stepdeck trailer "float" in parades, Many insurance companies offering antique policies do not want trailers attached to an antique or historical-registered vehicle, and many will say that you are not covered if an accident occurs while you are hauling cargo of any type. As a result, I have a few 1950's-70's "antiques" on the commercial fleet policy . Not happy about it since they see less than 500 miles annually, but apparently we can't get cheap "antique" insurance and expect to be able to haul a bunch of stuff to boot. Several companies send you a paper to sign where you state that you will not haul anything with the vehicle . My antique insurance carrier stated they had to crack down on reducing the risks in order to keep rates low

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
For the last 12 or so years it's been increasingly hard to obtain antique vehicle insurance for tractors and dumps .. My first hit was in 2010 when I tried to insure a 1978 commercial tandem dump we restored for parades .. It was deemed "too new and commercially useable." The next hit was a year or two later when I tried to insure a 1950's IHC tractor we yanked from retirement to haul a stepdeck trailer "float" in parades, Many insurance companies offering antique policies do not want trailers attached to an antique or historical-registered vehicle, and many will say that you are not covered if an accident occurs while you are hauling cargo of any type. As a result, I have a few 1950's-70's "antiques" on the commercial fleet policy . Not happy about it since they see less than 500 miles annually, but apparently we can't get cheap "antique" insurance and expect to be able to haul a bunch of stuff to boot. Several companies send you a paper to sign where you state that you will not haul anything with the vehicle . My antique insurance carrier stated they had to crack down on reducing the risks in order to keep rates low
I have been talking to my Agent and it seems that adding a trailer dragging my own smaller MV's is no problem. If I was hauling for others, that would be a problem. My policy is also written as a commercial policy so there aren't size and weight restrictions. The historic trucks are insured on the same policy but at the historic rate.

Danspomer

I have State Farm on my cars and home, but my agent specifically told me they would NOT touch the deuce with a ten foot pole.

I tried Hagerty and a few other places,with no success. Finally, Geico took me on with an online application! It’s around $60 per month for maxed out liability plus comprehensive.

Tapper02

I have State Farm on my cars and home, but my agent specifically told me they would NOT touch the deuce with a ten foot pole.

I tried Hagerty and a few other places,with no success. Finally, Geico took me on with an online application! It’s around $60 per month for maxed out liability plus comprehensive.
I'll give them a try. Still stalled out right now....everyone is trying to insure under classic/antique stipulations and requires indoor storage. Not what I want...it's happy outside, I NEED to use it to haul other MVs for personal use only and not commercial. Might have to resort to a commercial rating plan for non-commercial use, whatever that means...haven't gone down that route with the State Farm branch that cancelled me as they've gone dark after the policy cancellation. :mad:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'll give them a try. Still stalled out right now....everyone is trying to insure under classic/antique stipulations and requires indoor storage. Not what I want...it's happy outside, I NEED to use it to haul other MVs for personal use only and not commercial. Might have to resort to a commercial rating plan for non-commercial use, whatever that means...haven't gone down that route with the State Farm branch that cancelled me as they've gone dark after the policy cancellation. :mad:
Seems that after talking to my State Farm guy - it appears that there are personal and commercial policies. And then there is a different type of commercial policy that is personal vehicles owned by an individual that are not commercial.

I think part of who will cover what is the agent. The agent has to be willing to go up and explain and negotiate with the Corporate Underwriters for you to get coverage. Some agents know how, some don't and some don't care.

---

Until I started insuring big green trucks, I really didn't know that insurance works that way. Insurance is sold through third parties and you can't buy it from "Corporate". Not sure if that is to create separation for legal reasons or what. Don't know the percentage, but the Agent gets paid. AND the employees of the Agency gets paid and the Agent gets a cut of what they sell. It is all a racket, but knowing how it works is what you need to be able to buy what you need.

Big thing to know (in a bigger city) is that you said State Farm "told you no". That isn't especially so. The Agent that you talked to said no. Try another agent and the answer might be completely different.

Also, State Farm was being picked on by me. Could have used Nationwide and it works the same way...

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
State Farm will write a commercial policy for non-commercial use for a deuce, no problem. However, State Farm has a requirement that they won't write this type of policy unless you have at least one vehicle insured with them under a standard passenger car policy. I think they figured out that they can increase their customer base this way because a lot of people end up moving all of their insurance to State Farm just to insure their MV. If a State Farm agent won't work with you, find another agent.

Tapper02

Seems that after talking to my State Farm guy - it appears that there are personal and commercial policies. And then there is a different type of commercial policy that is personal vehicles owned by an individual that are not commercial.

I think part of who will cover what is the agent. The agent has to be willing to go up and explain and negotiate with the Corporate Underwriters for you to get coverage. Some agents know how, some don't and some don't care.

---

Until I started insuring big green trucks, I really didn't know that insurance works that way. Insurance is sold through third parties and you can't buy it from "Corporate". Not sure if that is to create separation for legal reasons or what. Don't know the percentage, but the Agent gets paid. AND the employees of the Agency gets paid and the Agent gets a cut of what they sell. It is all a racket, but knowing how it works is what you need to be able to buy what you need.

Big thing to know (in a bigger city) is that you said State Farm "told you no". That isn't especially so. The Agent that you talked to said no. Try another agent and the answer might be completely different.

Also, State Farm was being picked on by me. Could have used Nationwide and it works the same way...
Made an in person visit to the local State Farm today....they went the commercial vehicle for personal use route, and cited they couldn't go any other route since it's over 10,000 lbs. I thought everything was going well until we got to the end....no Collision or Comprehensive coverage since it is, and I quote, "an ex-military vehicle". The kicker....$179/month!! I find it interesting that they want over $2000/yr to cover a vehicle that will spend less than 15 days/yr on the road.
What's so frustrating with them is that it was previously insured as "limited use/antique vehicle", but they don't seem to be be able to/want to differentiate between the two. It's a limited use vehicle!

As far as Hagerty, even if I could find indoor storage, their stipulation about not hauling anything negates the whole reason I bought this rig!

I will call Geico tomorrow, but don't anticipate any different outcome...
M915A1_M871 loaded with M2A1 halftrack.jpg

Danspomer

Made an in person visit to the local State Farm today....they went the commercial vehicle for personal use route, and cited they couldn't go any other route since it's over 10,000 lbs. I thought everything was going well until we got to the end....no Collision or Comprehensive coverage since it is, and I quote, "an ex-military vehicle". The kicker....$179/month!! I find it interesting that they want over $2000/yr to cover a vehicle that will spend less than 15 days/yr on the road.
What's so frustrating with them is that it was previously insured as "limited use/antique vehicle", but they don't seem to be be able to/want to differentiate between the two. It's a limited use vehicle!

As far as Hagerty, even if I could find indoor storage, their stipulation about not hauling anything negates the whole reason I bought this rig!

I will call Geico tomorrow, but don't anticipate any different outcome...
View attachment 847867
Try to use the Geico online tool first, or the app. Just my two cents worth…

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is 280$/year agreed value of 15,000
I took a good look at the website you posted: it doesn't indicate whether someone can or cannot haul loads (or semitrailer) with a truck , but a section at the botton of the page indicated that "risk assessment" would be performed by their underwriters during the application process..

For about 35 years I have had JC Taylor covering the oldest part of the fleet .. But since 2012 their underwriters nix everyone who wants to haul loads or even an empty trailer.. Their underwriters have no less than said the antique policy is null and void should one be hauling loads or pulling a trailer and an accident happen, regardless whether or not it is a non-commercial task (ie: parades, trailer your deuce to a show, yank your trailer to a truck shop for new skins or bearing/seal/brake work etc) ..

As I mentioned in a previous post, when they started making their clients sign statements that we would not haul loads nor trailers/semitrailers under their coverage, regardless whether it was private not-for-hire or was commercial use, I was forced to switch some of our 6x6's and a couple antique class 8's over to the regular commercial fleet policy (Progressive) even though we only haul our own supplies, tools, materials, & equipment with the "antiques".. . (not for hire / non-commerce) ... As Mullaney said, some agencies "just don't care" about the difference and will only look at the capability/capacity of the vehicle and assume a lot of things that may not be true despite what you tell them or prove to them ..

I will give "american collectors insurance" a call next week and ask them right out of the gate about hauling loads and trailers/semitrailers .. Better to know what's in their can of beans first-hand (GET IT IN WRITING) than to assume you are good to go and possibly face multi-million $ litigation should an "uninsured" accident occur

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks