• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally Getting My First M1009.

KF4ACN

For many years I have always wanted one and now I have one. Going to have a lot of work ahead of me but it will be well worth it. I would Like to try and restore it back to original but not sure if I am going to keep it a 24 Volt system. Fist time posting and very happy that this site is up and have found lots of information already. For the Past week all I have been doing is read and reading some more. Here is a Picture of my latest project. Any input is much welcome.

Thanks
John
West Palm Beach Florida.

Attachments

danoscooter

Welcome! What are your plans for your m1009? Daily driver, toy, or restoration? Either way tons of information here at SS! Just keep reading and pictures coming.

Daniel

KF4ACN

Everyone thanks for the warm welcome. I plan on doing a complete restoration on it to pretty close to original as possible. No it's not going to be a daily driver but I plan on driving it around. As you can tell by my forum name I am a Ham operator and do plan on installing some radios in it in that era. Don't know if I am going to put the real deal as far as radios and or some commercial radios such as the GE Rangr with the 825 control head which has been used by the Military. I bought it from a friend of mine that had it for about 10 years and didn't have much time for it so it sat. So $ 500.00 later it's mine. Engine is in working order just not charging the batteries. I just recently bought some rebuild kits for the altenatiors as I mine as well do both of them at the same time. It's like head lights you just don't do one you do both. Well the first thing is to get it at 100 percent working and stock as stock get's then think adding to it. Has anyone got parts from LMC.

Thanks
John

jets1959

Hello and welcome from the PNW!!! First project is the Doghead starter relay mod. It is cheap and easy. Keep it 24 volt. The starter is not an issue. Get a spare starter on eBay and a bracket from gm or rockauto.com, then if your starter goes bad swap it out and have your original starter rebuilt. Note: keep that original bracket they are getting hard to find, also look now to see if it is installed. It is one cause of starter failure if it isn't there. Good luck and what a deal for five hundred!!![thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks