• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally going to buy my first M35A2 Deuce!

FloridaAKM

Friday morning, I am going to checkout & probably buy 1987 Deuce from a member here. The recovery is going to be fun as the truck is in North Georgia & this is going to be a solo recovery back to Gainesville, Florida. There will be no more posting in the new members thread by me about this, but here as everything unfolds this coming weekend.

Yeah, I know, it didn't happen without pictures so I will post a few from the ad. I still can't post pictures from the home computer, so tomorrow I will post them from work in the early am for those who want to see what I am wanting to buy bad enough to drive 400 miles to go see!

Wish me luck or just call me sick!

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck , Hopefully it's been serviced and all new filters since leaving the DRMO . Even with new fuel filters in it I would take spares.

FloridaAKM

Here's the pics I promised. Yes, I will take spare fuel filters. Off hand, do you know the number for a NAPA fuel filter set?
deuce2.jpgdeuce3.jpgdeuce5.jpgdeuce.jpg

If I posted this in the wrong thread mods, please move it to where it is supposed to be. This is going to be more fun than going to Knob Creek, Kentucky for the fall machine gun shoot! ;)

Last edited:

bonedoc

Very Nice truck!! Good luck with the recovery. I'm in Northeast PA and going to be doing a 400 mile recovery into North Carolina in a few weeks as well.

RAYZER

Nice looking truck, glad you found one! 400 miles in a deuce is a very long day with stopping for breaks and fuel, maybe 11 hrs.
I have made the Fl to the Georgia Rally trip straight through (450 miles) and that's a 13 hr day,
Fatigue can set in after about 6 hrs (in a deuce) and that becomes dangerous.
In my opinion, planning the trip so you can stop half way around dark to get some sleep is a good idea.

bonedoc

Planning on heading down on a Friday night. Get truck by mid day Saturday and start heading north. Then stop for night about halfway, continue through on Sunday. That is the plan...barring any mechanical problems...lol. Keeping fingers crossed

Rmtaunton

Just bring all the usuall parts and tools and Dont forget lots of water the heat through the cab dehydrates yuo very quickly also might want to think of rigging up a cup holder for the coffee :)

Good Luck Robert

Oh and if passing near Atlanta , and have trouble let me know I dont have a tow bar but but all tools and most parts you might need

FloridaAKM

I will be leaving Friday morning about 06:00 in order to get to North Georgia sometime in the early afternoon. The route up is the standard I-75 to North of Atlanta to what ever highway takes the the remainder of the trip. The return trip will be Hwy 60 thru Dahlonega thru Gainesville; then 129/11 South to Clarke & Hwy 441. From there, it is a matter of following Hwy 441 to within 15 miles of home. I do not want to drive the Duece on the interstate all the way back from North Georgia, so the back roads will be the best route for me. If I chose a bad route, please tell me. The owner has checked out all the fluid levels & other necessary items before I go to pick it up. I will post on the way home how things are going...provided I am not to frazzeled...or estatic!

FloridaAKM

The Deuce was listed on here & in the Atlanta Cragslist for $7900.00. I'll post what I paid for it after the sale is final in due consideration to the seller, I think it is a fair deal for both sides or I wouldn't be driving 420 miles one way to see it in person & drive it! Unless it won't make it back to Florida upon inspection, it is considered sold & paid in full.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Tomorrow morning @ 05:00 starts the trip to check out & drive the Deuce in North Georgia. I probably should do the recovery in a different thread. If I do, the software may just merge the entire thread. We shall see.!

Last edited:

Cruceno

Hope its not to late, but pick yourself up a good set of hearing protection. I prefer the 3M Worktunes headset, so I can pipe a little music into it. Your ears will thank you, and the music will help make the trip a little more enjoyable.

FloridaAKM

I have several sets of plugs & earmuffs; no there is no reason not to block out all the extra loud noises. No tunes on the way home, though. The trip begins within the hour! I'll keep you guys posted from the rest stops on the way back. :driver: :whistle:

RAYZER

There's heavy rain forecasted in the area today, check tire pressure and be mindful that those ndt's are not the best on wet roads especially around corners.
Also take a couple of towels to wipe the fogged up windows.
Good luck with your trip!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AKM,
Nice truck, I got one out of the same sale as the owner. They are well kept AirForce trucks. Run a little Diesel Kleen in the fuel for the ride home.
It will really clean up the IP and injectors, should purr like kitten. Take pictures and be safe.
JC