• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally got a CUCV

cliffyp

Well I did it. Just drove home an '86 M1008. I picked it up for $1500. The body is in great shape, very minor rust and just a couple little dings and dents. Engine cranks up and runs great, I had to drive it about 45 minutes to get it home. The trans has a crack on the top of the housing. I don't know how that happens. But it means it doesn't loose fluid too fast while driving and doesn't loose any while parked. So now the adventure of putting a new transmission in begins. I figure I'll go with a 700r4 since I've go to pull it anyway. Seems like OD will be nice with the 4.56 gears. I've been reading up on the threads where several you Steel Soldiers have already done this.

Let the fun begin!

Cleptomaniac

Welcome to the crazy train! :? I love my 1009 and when I get done with it it will be my dd.
Be shure to keep us up to date and I have to do it:razz:
nopics

trooper632

1500 bucks, what a steal since they seem to be going for close to twice that on gl, got my 1028 about a month ago and paid twice that, although the body is straight and no rust it would have been nice to find it cheaper. just painted mine od green, but i think im gonna try to camo it, its still taped up so what the ****, if i the camo doesnt look good, I'll just shoot another coat of od over it.

cliffyp

Yeah I thought $1500 was a steal. The seller was asking $3000 for it but I used the cracked trans housing as bargaining leverage even though I knew I wanted to swap it anyway. He didn't want to mess with the trans and his wife was making him sell it. She listed it on Craigslist and he didn't even know it.

tmike

Definition of an understatement:

Yeah I thought $1500 was a steal...
Holy cow! What a good deal. If that guy ever finds out what they are selling for he'll be really po'ed.

Two weeks ago I paid $3306 for mine (including auction premium). There were two M1008's for sale at the GL auction that I bought mine at. The nicer of the two went for over $4000 - at the bid price. They also had to pay the auction taxes and premium as well. I'm sure it added up to around $4800-$4900 out the door.

TMike

LeadHead

I'm buying an m1009 for $1500. 90,000 miles on it, runs good, locking hubs wont stay engaged though. He's throwing in some extra Super Swamper tires with it. And a whole front axle for a total of $1650 with the axle. The deals are out there! Just might want to stay away from GL, they seem pretty expensive. Aint anything wrong with buying from a civilian, right?
I'm buying from a member on here.

OP: Great looking truck! What are your other future plans/mods for it?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cliffyp,

EXCELLENT LOOKIN RIG FOR SURE.

And the deals are out there for a while longer because eventually there literally won't be any more of the CUCV's. It could be a while, but eventually they will all be out of military hands.

It just takes time and patience and a ton of luck on any given auction.

I've gone both routes, private individuals AND GL with very similar results. In each instance, I got an excellent vehicle and entrance into a very ... uh, interesting group of folks with like convictions...

I couldn't be happier with mine. You will get many good years of service out of it. Especially if you take care of it.

cliffyp

I forgot to mention that the truck also came with a very nice and brand new tool box mounted in the bed. This alone is worth a couple hundred. The truck currently has some well worn 285/75/16 on it. The guy still had the four stock tires that came with it with full tread. He took them off the truck as soon as he got it. He threw the tires in as part of our sale too. I'm going to take the stock tires around to some of the tire shops and see if I can trade them plus some cash for something in the range of 35's.

As far as other plans for the truck, I don't want to mod it out, just fix up clean. I plan on it being a daily driver and work truck. I'll repaint it. I saw a thread here where the truck was painted an olive green and I thought that looked pretty good. I'd like to put a spray on bed liner. The vinyl seat has got to go. It's mid October and we're still hitting mid 90's here in South Texas and with no A/C that seat is killing me. That will have to be reupholstered to something a little cooler that breaths.

Mainly I want to keep it in good running condition and have a rugged work truck. Use it for hunting and camping trips with my boys. The odometer only shows 41,000 so hopefully it will last a good long time

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks