• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally Got It!!!

Chieftawny

Nice looking truck! If you dont mind me asking, where did you get it from? Im new to this so im not finding any "nice" trucks like that around here. Colemans Surplus here in town has a bunch, but they all need some help!

whyme

look at the GL sites, some nice fresh ones sitting around when i did my recovery. otherwise private sales... and to be clear, any former military vehicle is gonna need a little help.

Chieftawny

any former military vehicle is gonna need a little help.

yeah but these need hoods, fenders, battery boxs, fuel tanks, axles, and the list goes on. and they start ard 5k. they do have a non turbo one thats a little broke-in. they had it ready for customer pick-up and some kids broke in and stole it, taking it through the local mountains making some new trails then left it. that one is only 4200.

my69camaro

Do they get up and go any better than an A2? As soon as my EUC clears (Someday) I will be picking up an A3 in WI and plan to use it around the farm. We've got a few large trailers and my current A2 is less than stellar above 10mph under load.:p

AceHigh

My opinion- the Allison has the jump to it! It takes off great. That tranny is used in lots of medium trucks and buses and it a proven product. It should have a higher top speed, with the singles and all.

ohfiredude

I picked up mine in April. After turning the CTIS off and leaving it off the tire problems slowed down a lot. I have one slow leaker that loses about 3 pounds a day and one that loses a pound a day and will fix them over the winter.

Nice truck, mine was desert tan and even had the same seat conditions,,lol.. New pax seat and a crumbling drivers seat.

I don't mind the slow speed anymore. Mine runs smooth as silk about 48-49 mph at 2550-2600 rpms. Under nice road conditions I get 10-12 mpg on the highway.

As far as I can tell so far I have the only A3 in the state. I missed the local MVPA/SS camp out this year. Sadly it was on the other side of the state, a long crawl at 48mph. There are a few deuces in my area and the occasional jeep or CUCV.

I'm using my truck for working on my property these days, it is far tougher than a pick up and wayyyyyyyy more fun to drive.
Thanks! I hear ya lonegunman...The truck seems so huge when I am driving it. You just feel its power. When I was driving the truck back home, I was going about 45-50 in a 55 zone. Everybody kept their distance. If I had of driven like that in my not-so-big car, I would have gotten run off the road! LOL!

ohfiredude

I'm jealous, that's one good looking truck. Hope it serves you well.

Also, i would like to add i think the A3's look great. Some day...M35A3 with winch
Heavysteven, thanks! I am looking forward to using it. Just got my temporary tag (still have to xfer the title) today, so I will be driving it again. As time goes on, I will do paint touch ups, add a cargo cover & bows, and a hard top. I will keep you guys posted.

ohfiredude

Nice looking truck! If you dont mind me asking, where did you get it from? Im new to this so im not finding any "nice" trucks like that around here. Colemans Surplus here in town has a bunch, but they all need some help!
Chieftawny, I actually found it in the SS classifieds. A guy in Shiloh, OH was selling it. The pics looked good, so I went out there to see it and the rest was history. The best thing to do to get a nicer truck is have the money set aside and wait until a good one comes up. It may take a day or a few months, but it will come.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats that one is a true beauty, are you going to leave the CTIS system intack or will you remove it? I just ask because I have heard or a lot of trouble with this and there is apparently darned little to no parts for them? the truck is really buautiful though and I love the drop sides, Nicely done and you WILL have tons of fun with this one

ohfiredude

Other than the tear in the driver seat nice score.Hope the tranny holds up,heard some bad stories about them allison automatics.
Billy Bobbed...Thanks! I mostly hear Allisons are reliable. The fire dept. I volunteered with would have all kinds of problems with the trucks, but never one had a transmission problem. All the trucks had Allisons. I guess you can get a lemon...hopefully mine is not.

ohfiredude

Do they get up and go any better than an A2? As soon as my EUC clears (Someday) I will be picking up an A3 in WI and plan to use it around the farm. We've got a few large trailers and my current A2 is less than stellar above 10mph under load.:p
my69camaro,

Actually, I think the A2s have more pep. I maxed the truck at around 52mph. A cousin of mine drove an A2 in the Guard. He said he could get that truck to go 65. From what I hear, the A3 is a workhorse in varied conditions, not so much of a "road" truck.

ohfiredude

Congrats that one is a true beauty, are you going to leave the CTIS system intack or will you remove it? I just ask because I have heard or a lot of trouble with this and there is apparently darned little to no parts for them? the truck is really buautiful though and I love the drop sides, Nicely done and you WILL have tons of fun with this one
Karl, thanks for the comment. I am going to leave the CTIS on the truck for now, but I am leery of the problems it has. It seems to work fine now, but it may be contributing to the leakage in my left rear tire. We'll see.

cyberspace_7

ohfiredude - The truck seems so huge when I am driving it. You just feel its power.
When I borrowed my dad's M35 for a classic car show (first prize for 4x4 stock class) and cruise (big hit by the way)! Anyway I was on the way home and hit a stop light. A lifted F250 pulled up next to me with a 6-8in. lift and huge tires. It was funny to look down at him with my stock 6x6. Not sure he knew what to think...I don't think he was used to looking up!:-D