• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally Got Me A CUCV M1008

gottaluvit

Hello everyone. I finally picked me up the truck I have wanted for years. Had several civy Chevy trucks but always drooled when I'd see one of these units going down the road, or sitting in someone's driveway. This is the real McCoy built for durability and longevity. I remember when I was stationed in Germany and I saw the first one of these units I was amazed how sweet (and tough) it looked. It took 30 years but there is finally one in my own driveway. Some rust lower on body, but two new rockers already hanging in my shed. She runs great other than the driver's hub locking itself 1/4 the way in and a bad tire (yet to ne determined. Pretty much all unmolested other than humvee tires, which I will be switching out tires and rims this weekend with my civy '86. Sound and light discipline (lights/horn) fuse blew already but the previous owner had a 20 amp in there which, to me, was too small for that much going through it. Got a 30 and spares in truck now. Now it's time for a trailer!20150824_183219.jpg20150824_183142.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats.

Be sure to read the stickies for the horn/light trouble spots.

rsh4364

Congrats,I really wanted a 1008 recently when I was looking for a second cucv,but didn't have the $ to deal with a gear swap.So I bought another 1009 and low and behold someone swapped 4.56 gears into it.I bought it online,it was supposed to have 3.08s but....

Waters

I think I remember this truck on Craigslist in Ohio somewhere....it disappeared awhile back. Maybe this is why! Congrats. I too would ditch the hmmwv tires and go more original or at the least more conventional.

gottaluvit

Congrats,I really wanted a 1008 recently when I was looking for a second cucv,but didn't have the $ to deal with a gear swap.So I bought another 1009 and low and behold someone swapped 4.56 gears into it.I bought it online,it was supposed to have 3.08s but....
You got me wondering about my gears now. This seems to shift way later than my civy '86 3/4 ton with same transmission and an NP208C2 transfer case. Heck, that thing is in high gear at 18 mph (not a bit of exaggeration) and this wont hit high gear until 24 mph, feathering the throttle on both. Never took the differential cover off on the civy one but never thought much of it's little bitty c-clip rear differential.

rsh4364

After 30 years we never know what we are getting,especially if bought on line,I knew something wasn't quite right with my newer 1009 purchase on the first drive.It wasn't til I installed a tach and started checking rpm vs mph that I caught gear change.If had known this 1009 had 4.56 gears I would have bought a 1008.

Last edited:

sweetk30

if that warn hub has been apart it might have been serviced wrong .

the black dial cup inside the cap that pushes on the gear can be installed in the wrong clock position . it takes a bit of fiddling and trial but can be retimed .

gottaluvit

if that warn hub has been apart it might have been serviced wrong .

the black dial cup inside the cap that pushes on the gear can be installed in the wrong clock position . it takes a bit of fiddling and trial but can be retimed .
Ok. Good to know. Am tearing into that tomorrow. I will use the other side as my template as I want to clean both sides up and repack them with grease.

welpro222

No grease for the locking hubs, only the wheels bearings. If anything I spray them with a light coat of white lithium grease. I bought a dana 60 front axle that had one side not working, it was caked with grease on the inside. I cleaned it up and it was good to go.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks