• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally Got My ARB Air-Lockers...

Rolling_Eudaimonia

you may want to invest in heavy axle shafts . The stock shafts will not take much stress . I had an ARB in the front of a full size Bronco It would plow through snow up to the grill with my four wheeler behind on a trailer . The trailer tires were small and not even touching the ground . The bronco literally dragged the trailer on top of the snow .
That is a concern of mine how much stress can the stock axles take. However, a this point I just don't have the cash for new stronger 16 spline axles. New axle shafts of a stronger material and gear set are future up grades. Basically when I put lockers into A3 axles.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I would really love to get a Tatra T-815-7 series 8x8 truck with the capabilities shown in this video I think would fun to play with.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uHaj5bDSgRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

so until then I will make my M35A2 as close to this set as possible.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it strange that my M35a3 spun all six wheels on hard dirt climbing a very very steep hill? This was after it was unable to climb any further.

One of the easiest methods to increase traction is to add weight...load you truck!
When vehicles are tested at the APG, it's with full load.
Even the Tatra uses dummy loads to improve traction.

Last edited:

shannondeese

I am also putting ARB air lockers in my Deuce but mine is bobbed. I am running off the stock air system but I'm not using any electronics. I am going to plum a line to them using a stock air operated wind shield wiper knob. I can get 90 psi through it and I don't have to ever worry about a solenoid going out. And it looks factory. One for each axle. Just a simpler way than the instructions called for.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

One of the easiest methods to increase traction is to add weight...load you truck!
When vehicles are tested at the APG, it's with full load.
Even the Tatra uses dummy loads to improve traction.
Weight is fine-- but one of the problems with weight is shifting dynamic loads. You know you get 3000lbs in the box but if the bias is to left side the load could be 10 or 20% greater on the left side than on the right side- thus giving the left side a traction advantage over that of the right side of your truck. And if you have open differentials your weight advantage is lost. If you have lockers weight dynamic loads that shift during driving will not affect the traction of the truck much. Even semi-tractors use lockers to increase traction and prevent what I'm talking about from happening.

I plan on having chains on my truck in the winter too for even more traction and weight. Because you really never can have enough traction.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I am also putting ARB air lockers in my Deuce but mine is bobbed. I am running off the stock air system but I'm not using any electronics. I am going to plum a line to them using a stock air operated wind shield wiper knob. I can get 90 psi through it and I don't have to ever worry about a solenoid going out. And it looks factory. One for each axle. Just a simpler way than the instructions called for.

I have air switches... Electric Air types like this rated for 150 PSI maximum. I have two of them on order- One for the front differential and one for the rear tandem diffs.

Air / Electric Toggle Switch, 3200-1A, K295-362-1, 08-02934

Check it out they are cheap and they are 24volt they look cool if you ask me.

flyxpl

The selinoid bleeds air off when shut off , you will need to make sure your setup will bleed the air out of the locker , not just shut the air off . If the air is not bled off the locker will stay locked until the air in the system leaks out .

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I've been noticing that M35A3's sell much cheaper than they had been in the past. I think I'll buy one and get three Axles with CTIS hubs, tires, and a few other parts and have a super deuce made up for myself-- So I'm probably not going to put the ARB's into these axles on "the Duke"... Instead I'll wait and build the truck correctly the first time. But I will post pictures of the ARB's as proof next to my truck that I did indeed purchase them.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have air switches... Electric Air types like this rated for 150 PSI maximum. I have two of them on order- One for the front differential and one for the rear tandem diffs.

Air / Electric Toggle Switch, 3200-1A, K295-362-1, 08-02934

Check it out they are cheap and they are 24volt they look cool if you ask me.
...or use a switch already on your deuce for front axle drive engagement, one connection to air supply, one to piston or whatever is controlled (it will vent when turned back off). Also comes with matching indicator light.

Attachments