• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally got my first Deuce

creekrider

Well I have been looking for an M35A3 and I was playing with the Craigslist app on my phone yesterday and found a guy in the same town selling an A2 in pretty good shape. Well long story short, I have my first Steel Soldier and boy do I have lots to learn. I was able to drive about 40 miles today and spent the last few hour looking over everything. So if anyone is in Northern Indiana and wants to share a beer and show me the ins and outs I would appreciate it.

Attachments

Nice looking truck indeed! congrats on your first MV! There's a lot of really cool video clips on youtube. Just search for "M35A2" and you'll find a gang of deuce videos showing capabilities and proper operation. Don't forget to look up and save the Tech Manuals for the deuce as they're invaluable in fixing anything that can possibly go wrong.
:driver:

Jesse6325

Congratulations and Nice looking Deuce,:D
I know it's already been said, But find and download the TM's, They are a real lifesaver! The truck itself is actually pretty simple to work on.

creekrider

HTML:
find and download the TM's, They are a real lifesaver
I have been downloading them and reading, there is a lot there. I was going to print them off until I looked at the page count. This website forum has been a life saver on answering questions so far.

Creekrider

Jesse6325

Here is a suggestion. Go through the TM's until you find one you need and just print off that section. Then put the sheets in some heavy duty sheet protectors and then in a three ring folder. That's what I have been doing as I need them.
MUCH better than trying to print off all of them at once!:shock:

BTW, I know you were looking for an A3 originally, but I get the feeling you'll be happier with the A2 for a few reasons.
1. The A3s have a CAT engine and an automatic trans that are both electronically controlled. In the event of an EMP or CME big enough to take down the power grid, anything that depends on a microchip to work will become useless. The A2's 465LDT Multifuel Diesel is entirely mechanically operated and does not even need the truck's electrical system to run. EMP or CME are no threat to operation.

2. The aforementioned Multifuel Diesel is just that. It'll run on a multitude of fuels! (But you probably already knew that!) Waste motor oil, transmission fluid, hydraulic oil, and old gasoline are your friends, and in most cases really cheap or sometimes free!

3. While that A2 of yours may be slow compared to more modern vehicles, I've heard a lot of guys on here say the A3s are even slower. (I couldn't say as I've never driven an A3).

4.The A2 specific parts are a bit cheaper than the A3 stuff, and from my observations seem to be a bit more plentiful and easily obtained.

Personally, I think the A2 front end looks better, but that's just a matter of opinion.
:driver:

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the addiction. Now the fun begins! Lots of questions can be answered on this site, but remember, the TMs are your best friend.:D

AnonymousOne

3. While that A2 of yours may be slow compared to more modern vehicles, I've heard a lot of guys on here say the A3s are even slower. (I couldn't say as I've never driven an A3).

4.The A2 specific parts are a bit cheaper than the A3 stuff, and from my observations seem to be a bit more plentiful and easily obtained.:
Speaking from my truck:

A3 top speed 45 down hill / rpm governor
A3 top speed 15 up steep hills / empty
Not sure how that compares to A2

Cost - yup more for parts. The just not a lot of them out there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks