• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally got our Deuce!

ATPTac

When you change the brake master cylinder, make sure you have plenty of tools, a concrete pad to be working on, and a plan. Did I mention tools? You will find the manufacturer installed the MC first than built the rest of the truck around it. The best way of getting to the top, outside bolt is to have a 9/16 deep well socket, a six inch extension, a universal joint extension, a second six inch extension, and a ratchet to thread through the frame hole where the back of the MC is connected to the line going to the air pack. That, and taking the rubber boot off the front of the MC while removing/installing it and it's "easy". And check your wheel cylinders to see if they have a cup inside the rubber boots, or just the spring. DO NOT discard those cups if you have them. Learn to search the threads here by finding what others have said on their behalf.
Ok, it sounds like I have the tools needed covered to do the MC. Thanks for the tip on the wheel cylinders...

Nationwide, that appears to be a pretty common saying with these trucks. That's the 3rd or 4th time I've heard it from varying people... :lol:

rwminck

Hey, My dumb a$% bought a Deuce via EBay with just pictures and someone's word. Funny thing is I am a Sheriff and am trained not to take people's word if you know what I mean. Hope that makes you feel a little better, even if only for a second..Ha

Beast.jpg

Yea, looks good right.. it should, all the rust is painted over!

ATPTac

Hey, My dumb a$% bought a Deuce via EBay with just pictures and someone's word. Funny thing is I am a Sheriff and am trained not to take people's word if you know what I mean. Hope that makes you feel a little better, even if only for a second..Ha

View attachment 469117

Yea, looks good right.. it should, all the rust is painted over!
All in all I think we got a good truck. It definitely has its problems (which one of these trucks that hasn't been fully restored doesn't?). But that's one of the reasons I got into MV's was to have a fun project. It definitely gets overwhelming at times, but I just remind myself to take it one step at a time and have fun with it.

I just got done servicing the front brakes, replacing axle seals, boots, packing wheel bearings, etc... I'm going to do a write up on everything once I get done with the rears. Both of my front wheel cylinders were in fact leaking, but were just now starting to weep through the boots. Also had a pretty decent size chunk of friction material missing out of one of my shoes, I'll get more into that on my write up, but it goes to show how important it is to inspect your brakes when getting a truck.