• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally, I get to bring mine home!

hwcurtice

WooHoo, I finally got the email I've been waiting for yesterday. It only took 72 days....

So, on 10/26/2010, I get to bring my very first auction item home. A Kasel MFG CO M101A2 3/4 Ton Cargo Trailer.

Now, before I head down to the base to get it, I did ask, both the person at the base and the GL people in AZ, if I needed a temporary permit to pull it home. 'Um, ask your local DMV person.' was the response. So I'll go in Saturday and ask. And most likely, just to be safe, get one anyway...

Question I have, these have hand brakes, right? How do I know if they are engaged? Are there markings on the trailers? 'On' 'Off'?

Yes, I already have the hitch and the magnetic lights. Figure I would do what others have done and drop the tail gate and place them on the bed. Bungie the tongue post up to make sure it stays up.

I think I have everything covered. Right?

Scarecrow1

Hi I am STILL waiting on my EUC to clear to pick up mine..... so I am not sure about the hand breaks..... I did how ever go to our local guard unit today and put my hands on one they had out back ...Both the handles where pulled straight out horizontally ..so I beleive that to be in the locked position ...I also measured the toung height and found it to be 26 inches so I will need to extend my hitch about 6 inches up to be level ...I also have mine with the bowes, rails and cover on it ....I have been advised to remove the cover because of the drag it will produce .I found the trailer to be a bit wider than my blazer and am worried about my mirrors ability to see around it .....So you may wish to check on that also.....In SC we don't need to license tags on utility trailers but I still will need to pull it thru two states before coming home so I plan to put paper tags on it..... as far as the lights are concerned I too have a set of the magnetic lights but am worried that the tail gate will bounce to much to provide a stable platform to keep them from coming lose so I am including some zip ties in my kit to take with me ...Please take note of my name and let me know how you made out ........Good luck and Gods speed ....:)

mistaken1

According to Recovry4x4 "The only bolt patterns offered on the 101 trailers was the large 5 lug pattern shared with the M37 and the 8 on 6 1/2 pattern."

For an A2 should be the same wheel as on the M1008.

The M101 is not that big. I pulled mine home with the M1009. The trailer had a MEP002A in it at the time (bows and tarp in place). No problems.

I set it up to pull behind the Expedition, it works great.

Now the M105 is a bigger trailer.

Attachments

KsM715

Hand brakes..... Both handles, handle up, brakes are off. Handle down (parallel to the ground) brakes are on. You'll under stand once you get to it. When you push them down you will feel the tension on the cables, and youll feel the tension release when you pull up on them.

Edit: Bring zip ties or some wire to tie the stock MV trailer plug to the frame rail so it doesnt get bounced off its little holding mount and drag on the ground. Bring some extra length of chain (5/16, or 3/8" should be ok) to extend the safety chains. The stock ones on the trailer are usually to short for a pintle hitch mounted on a plate that fits in a receiver hitch.

Last edited:

hwcurtice

Thanks for the advice on the chain. About how long of chain should I have? Foot? 2 foot?

Do you know where I can get the pin(s) to disable to surge brakes? And turn this in to a tilt bed after I remove the bolts?

hwcurtice

Okay, I go to get my trailer tomorrow, so:

1. Picture posted showing, I guess, a rim, I can't see yet due to web page issues. So I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at.

2. What length of chain should I have with me? From the pictures from GL, the safety chain looks long enough, I'm just going to use quick releases to make sure they stay connected to the truck.

3. And I know I've asked this, where can I find the pins to disable the surge brake for transport home?

4. Top speed for towing this home? Other than start out slow and hope to get up to cruising speed...

Items I am taking with me:

Patience.
Duct tape
Quick release to attach safety chain to truck.
Zip ties
Bungie cords
Magnetic lights
See through envelope for temporary trip permit.
Trip permit
Tire gauge.
Air compressor with full 10 gallon tank.
WD-40
Penetrating oil.
Assorted paper work neded to get on to base to recover trailer from the lot.

Hopefully extra chain to extend safety chains
Hopefully pin(s) to disable surge brakes.

So, am I forgetting anything

TenGAUGE

How was your trip home? I had to pull back a M105 approximately 150 miles from home, usually about 65 mph. The trailer was too big for what I wanted. I want a M101. I waited 75 days for my EUC to clear and finally got the trailer I didn't quite want. A friend of mine got a M101 and now I will have to bid and wait again. I heard that once you get the first EUC over with that the second one is only a couple weeks, we will see. I want a M101 to make an awesome camping trailer out of with some TLC.

Marshall

hwcurtice

It actually towed quite well. I was a littte worried. I purposely avoided the m105 because of the size. it's almost too much for my truck to pull when empty! So now a little paperwork and modifying, and I'll have a great utility trailer for many uses.

Last edited: