• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally in the Jeep club :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That looks great.

I love the M38A1-it's the best military Jeep there is. Never should have sold my first one.

mikey

Thanks everyone! I'm very excited. There is practically no rust on the body or frame, which is great. Cosmetically, she is in excellent shape. She drives in all gears and 4wd works. It's still 24v, which is great as a lot of Jeeps I saw for sale were converted to 12v.

She leaks a little oil, the carb probably needs a rebuild as it starts and idles very rough. It does run fine after maybe 10 minutes of warming up. The starter sounds awful and the clutch feels rough. Of course, this being my first jeep, the starter and clutch could be fine. Some gauges don't work and the batteries are mismatched.

I've only driven it off the trailer and into the garage, with a short loop around the yard, so I have to really get to know her before I know all the flaws, but so far I'm very happy.

Just like he helped me when I was brand new to deuces, I got some great advice from Clinto while searching for Jeeps. Thanks to Clinto for his guidance and of course thanks in advance to SS. I know this site, and my fellow members, will help make my Jeep experience a great one.

Clinto I'm still waiting for the thread on your new Jeep!

Mikey

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Amer-team

That is a nice looking M38A1. We should all be so lucky to get one that looks like that but needs a little work. Sounds like you need to get it started, take it for a 10 or 20 mile run. Get the old gas out and some new in. You might dump a can of carb cleaner in if it has been sitting, before you take off. Starter may be an issue if you think it sounds bad, but a good rebuild place can take care of that.

They all drip a little oil. An older gentleman once told me that if you had a picture of a jeep hanging on the wall, there would be a spot of oil on the floor. It might be perspective in your photos, but it looks like the windshield is canted back a bit? Have fun.

mikey

That is a nice looking M38A1. We should all be so lucky to get one that looks like that but needs a little work. Sounds like you need to get it started, take it for a 10 or 20 mile run. Get the old gas out and some new in. You might dump a can of carb cleaner in if it has been sitting, before you take off. Starter may be an issue if you think it sounds bad, but a good rebuild place can take care of that.

They all drip a little oil. An older gentleman once told me that if you had a picture of a jeep hanging on the wall, there would be a spot of oil on the floor. It might be perspective in your photos, but it looks like the windshield is canted back a bit? Have fun.
From the deuce world I know that if it stops dripping, then you have a problem. I wasn't sure if Jeeps were the same. The drip is slight but might be coming from a plug. I'll degrease the engine and go from there. I was thinking of changing the plugs anyway due to the rough start as well as fresh gas and some carb cleaner.

It's funny that you should mention the windshield. Whenever I got a "first" deuce or "first" five ton, the biggest problem I had was that I had nothing to compare it to, so I'm not sure what's normal. To this day with the deuce, that's still one of the challenges when a well meaning member says "pull X and inspect". I'm not sure what X should look like even if it's wrong.

This is my only Jeep and I have nothing to compare it to. So, I have no idea if the windshield is correct. That's also why the jury is still out on the clutch and starter. Perhaps those are normal in a 62 year old jeep ;)

I'll get some better pictures of the windshield tomorrow (snowing today) and I'd appreciate it if you gave me your opinion on it.

Thanks

Mikey

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The windshield is definitely canted back a bit.

102_0191.jpgIMG_1437.jpgIMG_1436.jpgDSC_0298.jpgDSC_0295.jpgDSC_0215.jpgDSC_0214.jpgDSC_0204.jpgDSC_0202.jpgIMG01166small.jpg

I am willing to bet they removed the thick gasket under the frame and moved the windshield locks on the dash further down in order to pull it back. I would imagine their goal was reduced wind noise and buffering.

DSC_0220.jpgDSC_0221.jpg

mikey

Thanks Clinto and Amer-team for the windshield tip. Clinto, I think you're half right. The windshield locks are pretty loose. They hold the windshield upright but they look like they can unlock with a good bump. I did not know there was a gasket under the frame, but I had already been eyeing the idea of tightening the locks. So, now the million dollar question. I'm familiar with all the vendors and surplus dealers for the deuce, but where do I get this gasket and who are the "go to" places for the jeeps?

Thanks

Mikey

bigbe5678

Hi Mikey Great Jeep My dream I remember back in the late 70s the DRMO was releasing them in lots 3 at a time I was too young to bid :-( I remember going down to Bayone NJ base and they had about 10 of them in a ware house never ben used with an inch of dust on them. I wonder what happened to them Good Luck with it [thumbzup]

mikey

Hindsight... It's a bitch! I think there are hundreds of people on SS, myself included, who are KICKING themselves now for not buying the $50 Jeeps in a box in the 80's. I was barely in high school when I last saw those, but even back then I understood that I wanted a military Jeep and that it was an incredible opportunity to be too young to take advantage of.

I wonder if the deuces that we have been so lucky to be purchase for scrap prices will be the same in another 30 years, and I wonder how many people will be kicking themselves saying "I remember when they auctioned those deuces off for $1000 each!"

Let's hope so, because I'm holding on to mine ;)

Mikey

Amer-team

Mikey, if you don't subscribe, either or both Military Vehicles magazine or MVPA magazine, Supply line are excellent publications for running down parts on most vehicles. We can PM for names of a couple of vendors that I have dealt with. If you are just missing the windshield gasket that is a piece of cake and not too expensive. If you need pictures of something let me know. My M38A1 is a 1953, stock original with some Vietnam era modifications so as vinyl seat covers. It now has 12,500 miles on it and when I bought it 28 years ago, it had 4800. We have replace the master and wheel cylinders. New front crankshaft seal and the new one leaks and the little seals on the transfer case shift tower and they still leak, so I leave piece of cardboard under it, and enjoy it.
Have fun and keep me posted if you need something.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks