• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally pics of my deuce

Banshee365

Hey guy's, a few of you know I finally purchased a '68 M35A2. I have yet to post pictures but I just went over there and took some as well as run it some more and drive it around to see if I can find any leaks. I'm still waiting on the exhaust to get here for the turbo conversion and I need new cab canvas and windsheilds but other than that it seems pretty solid. I drained the air tanks today and didn't get lot's of water. I am going to check all the fluids and replace all 3 fuel filters and change the oil and filters before I drive it home. I have baldwin filters and I still need the o-rings for the fuel canisters and washers for the posts'. Here are some pics, let me know what you guy's think. I'm also going to post some pics that concerned me. By the bumper numbers can anyone tell where the truck came from? I think Alabama.

-Kelly

Attachments

Banshee365

Here are some pics of things that concerned me including the dried oil from the head gasket on the passangers side that I posted about a little while ago. Also an apparent leak from the pan gasket. The exhaust is completely rusted through in several places but it's getting replaced with NOS turbo exhaust when it comes in. That's all for now. What do you guy's think?

-Kelly

Attachments

devilman96

Might want to look a little closer at that pan gasket... Looks like its coming from above, not the pan... proably the head... Do the heads first and see if that kills it... When ya do the gaskets have the head shaved and change all of the freeze plugs at the same time, or at least the 1" plugs in the ends of the heads at a minimum, hunt down brass ones if you can find them. Don't hesitate to yank the fenders and the front wheels off when ya do it... makes the job 1000 times easier!!!

Good looking truck!

Banshee365

I'll check it out the next time I go over again. I didn't see any oil leaking from the head gasket from the top but the compressor and oil filters and such block alot of it. I was alway's told if u buy a deuce you'll do the head gaskets. Would be a good time to get the valves cleaned up and such as well and check for cracks between the valves. What makes the brass plugs better and why change them out? Thanks guys.

-Kelly

Katch1

yeah that oil sure does look like its from up above. nice looking truck overall tho. That personnel heater would look better in my truck, most of the ones I looked at up here had none, go figure :?:

Towman2277

Hey, The brass plugs hold up and last longer to various anti-freeze chemicals, versus the common "thin-plate" ones, or zinc ones. Brass is always better. The oil leak , chances are, is covered by the compressor and filters, but your going by it the right way. Always have the head magna-fluxed to check for cracks before any work performed, to keep from costly breakdown later from an un-seen crack. Overall your truck appears to be in great shape, two thumbs up! Steve

Banshee365

Turbo too, one in very very good shape off an 89 rebuild motor in one of his garages right now. Spins very free. I'm a little worried about this head gasket thing and was hoping to enjoy the truck a little before working on it alot. But that's half the fun.

-Kelly

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if you can find a place to steam it real good, then run it. My leaks weren't as bad as I thought, only the oil filter can gaskets and a small leak at the # 1 cyl. head gasket vent. Only leaks a little if I let it idle too long.

Banshee365

What does the steaming process involve? Sounds like injecting parts of the engine with steam to find leaks, almost like soap on a tires to find holes. Sounds like it could be worth it. Would be nice to do the heads if they are leaking and get them shaved and such it's just more work and money after already paying to buy the truck itself. The truck starts right up, you can just tap the button as fast as u want and it'll fire right up at low rpm first then settle to what is shown in the picture.

devilman96

Not quite... He means steam clean / pressure wash the engine down so you can see where your leaks start at and how bad they actually are... There are lots and lots of leaking deuces on the road with leaks... Drive it and enjoy it for a while.

Banshee365

We'll pressure clean it and run it on the highway a little to get it warmed up and see if the leak shows up. I'd think the head gasket won't leak much until it get's hot. My buddy recommended we pull the valve cover gaskets and check the torque on the bolts before deciding to do the head work.

I'm not bad at turning a wrench and have a very stout attention to detail. Is pulling the heads something I should tackle rather than paying someone to help? I know it might take 2 people at some points in the process but if time isn't an issue it's something I could do with the head wrench and various other tools without getting myself in any trouble. Around here it's about $280 to shave both heads and reseat the valves and such. The thing is I still have to put the turbo and exhaust on so I'd be pulling parts of that off again to do the heads. This is part of the reason I got the deuce, to tinker. I just want to make sure I do it at the right time. Can't wait to get it in my yard and get my greasy mit's on it.

BTW, is it normal for the brake pedal to get hard fairly near the end of travel? The brakes feel solid, mabye something needs to be adjusted. Thanks guys.
-Kelly

Armada

BTW, is it normal for the brake pedal to get hard fairly near the end of travel? The brakes feel solid, mabye something needs to be adjusted. Thanks guys.
Yup, adjust the brakes up at each hub and it should take care of the problem. It's easy to do, the wheels can stay on. Consult the TM.

[thumbzup] Nice looking truck!

Banshee365

I am putting the turbo and exhaust on soon. I need to figure out what my future plans for a pyrometer will be before I put the turbo on. I saw on the site a while back a gauge that had 2 needles and the user put a thermocouple on both sides of the plenum so each sensor read the front and rear 3 cylinders to help troubleshoot any future problems. Anyone know where that could be found on this site, I can't find it. What side tap and pipe plug should I get for the turbo conversion to get the hole there for the future? Thanks alot!

-Kelly

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks