• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally starting my summer M105 project, stuff and info needed

DesertDutchman

Was given a 105 trailer and need to get it running for my trip to San Onofre on the July 4th holiday.
Need LED light replacement info, bolster wheels to run HMMWV 37" radials and idea for a good brake setup, as I will towing my camping equipment and BBQ gear for a weeklong stay at the best military beach on the West coast.
I actually lifted my 2006 F350 10" to accommodate the trailer.

Gonna strip it down, clean it up and repaint itwith the best rattle can paint job I can do on my nights off. May even Rhino Line the inside....

Anyone have ideas for building this into a low buck offroad adventure trailer? Shelter ideas? I figure two Diesel and two water jerry cans. Two spares for the trailer and a spare for the truck (I have a Prerunner angle mount TireGate). I want to hint the desert, Death Valley/Panamint in October......

So Ideas, pics, website, whatever, help me out here.....

DesertDutchman

Bolster trailer on ****, out of my range.....
item number removed is in MI. Wish I had that kind of $$$...two full sets would be perfect!!!!
Sorry for the mixup, since I wasn't selling, figured it was for informational purposes....

Last edited:
Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got a 105 trailer from a buddy I need to go to KS and pick it up but trust I will be watching your ideas on this one good luck and please keep great ideas and pics coming our way
KK

DesertDutchman

First off, sorry for posting the item # for the eBay item, it was edited out.....

Now, where was I...oh yeah, I found some great LEDS that change color from white (running lights) to amber (turn signal) for my superduty. I found a post on here that lists the bulb types for the tail lights on the 101/105 and was thinking, instead of buying the $139 LED replacement lights, I could do a LED swap for about half that.....so I figured it all out and I was right, so if there are 6 bulbs total, two 1156 and one 67, I can get the bulbs for about $10 a piece and be done with that.
So, one item out of the way.
I read somewhere there is a MIL connector to 4 pin convertor for the lights out there. Is there a 7 pin to MIL one? Thinking of a string of LEDs like my line of fire on my F350 for a third brake and reverse light setup as well, so there's the back up light issue solved. Now I'm looking for an enclosed white LED array for the underside for work/location lighting which I would run from a solar powered charging system for when I'm remote and need a little more vision.
Is there a conventional landing leg I can use that's long enough to replace the wheel with? Too heavy and is a b!tch to actuate...yes, I can lift the tongue of the trailer unloaded (6'11", 295lbs, not a small man), but with a ton or so in it, it's not gonna happen!!!

Next, skinning the cover....would like to make the whole assembly foldable and storable, to cut down on drag while mobile, so I'm thinking short stake sides, no more than 18" high.
Thining of making a receiver for the tailgate to carry a hitch haul to bring along a stainless grill, or maybe a swing arm for the trailer sideto locate it still in back, but unlockable to the side for clearance and stowability....ideas folks?

DesertDutchman

Bolster wheels convert M105 to 16'5" HMV tires?

Is this true, I can get BOlster Trailer wheels that fit the bolt pattern of the M105 and allow the use of 16.5 tires? I run 37's on my F350 and HMV tires on my Suburban...
I have asked some questions of this but have had no SOLID info on if they work.....and I need info on swapping brakes or converting to air over hydro....any SOLID answers for me?
Rhino lining purchased for the interior of the trailer and plans sketched for initial build of stowable tent....and looking for a good weld shop to weld in a 2.5" receiver for the Hitch Haul and swing arm....

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Member 3DAngus had some of those 6-lug bolster wheels for sale in the Classifieds. Contact him to see if they are still available.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You could always convert the trailer to surge brakes. That would negate swapping out the axle. Yes bolster trailer rims work fine, but I do not know if the tires you want to run would work or not.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I know for sure that the HMMWV bias tires will work on the bolster wheels, so don't see any reason the radials would not.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks