• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Find myself in an interesting quandary.... (re: XM818 )

ScubaCat

I just won an auction for a "XM818"....Got it for what I feel is a pretty good deal. It is a 6x4, not a 6x6. It has a van body on it and the truck overall appears to be pretty **** clean. Not knowing alot about 8xx trucks, am I going to be modding up a more "rare" truck? I understood the 818 to be a tractor...Did I buy this truck "pre-modded"? If I did, I wont feel so bad about adding a front drive axle and TC to make it a 6x6 again.

I am unsure about keeping the van body as my original idea was to crew it and put a trailer body on it.

Thoughts? Opinions? Random, incoherent ramblings?

Last edited by a moderator:

jasonjc

An XM818 should be a 6X6 tractor. Got one myself , so I'd say it's pre-modded unless someone put the wrong data plate on it.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This auction looked to be from a private individual. It's "premodded". Looks like someone pulled the 5th wheel and put an m109 box on it.

My suspicion is there was a problem with the 6x6 so they called it 6x4.

ScubaCat

Was kind thinking that when pics included a pulled front drive axle.... Either way, I don't think I got hurt in the deal (crosses fingers) as I can add the front drive back...I was going to pull the box anyway. What are the boxes worth? May make a nifty hunting trailer.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Random incoherent rambling....

oeirg pqh -98q3-8 q3480ht qi3nt;lkn[ioh-q893y5ty8 8arhgahga;grnq3;5knyjpu9hne07yue7hnw45gnw4pog5un-w948hg-w48hgwp4ihw;o4n6hpw94hn8w98gtw4p9ngw4pu6ng;5h6unwp6ohnw-49g8h-w4hgw4ngw4;ohnw;4gonupw948ngwp49gpw4ugnp4wn

...But I digress.

When we picked up our XM-818, the front driveshaft had been pulled and laid inside the cab. I got a quick education on the SPRAG front axle engagement and the ease with which many people MISUNDERSTAND its functionality, especially when towing - flat towing OR on with the front axle raised. Hence, the think the drivetrain is FUBAR and liquidate the truck ASAP.

Does your truck have the SAME SIZE wheels and tires on ALL axles? Differing sizes on the front vs rear will cause SPRAG problems in a heartbeat. There's an engineering reason the military standardizes wheels/tires/axles on any given vehicle. OBEY the design.

Hope that helps.
John

nopics

ScubaCat

This is what I got...
http://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/item/747810

What are the 109 shelters worth? Anyone interested in one?

This is my target end result...take out the 1st tandem, crew it, remainder with a box bed.
https://youtu.be/3K0ENBMM8Hg

Random incoherent rambling....

oeirg pqh -98q3-8 q3480ht qi3nt;lkn[ioh-q893y5ty8 8arhgahga;grnq3;5knyjpu9hne07yue7hnw45gnw4pog5un-w948hg-w48hgwp4ihw;o4n6hpw94hn8w98gtw4p9ngw4pu6ng;5h6unwp6ohnw-49g8h-w4hgw4ngw4;ohnw;4gonupw948ngwp49gpw4ugnp4wn

...But I digress.

When we picked up our XM-818, the front driveshaft had been pulled and laid inside the cab. I got a quick education on the SPRAG front axle engagement and the ease with which many people MISUNDERSTAND its functionality, especially when towing - flat towing OR on with the front axle raised. Hence, the think the drivetrain is FUBAR and liquidate the truck ASAP.

Does your truck have the SAME SIZE wheels and tires on ALL axles? Differing sizes on the front vs rear will cause SPRAG problems in a heartbeat. There's an engineering reason the military standardizes wheels/tires/axles on any given vehicle. OBEY the design.

Hope that helps.
John

nopics

Last edited:

Shark Bait

I just won an auction for a "XM818"....Got it for what I feel is a pretty good deal. It is a 6x4, not a 6x6. It has a van body on it and the truck overall appears to be pretty **** clean. Not knowing alot about 8xx trucks, am I going to be modding up a more "rare" truck? I understood the 818 to be a tractor...Did I buy this truck "pre-modded"? If I did, I wont feel so bad about adding a front drive axle and TC to make it a 6x6 again.

I am unsure about keeping the van body as my original idea was to crew it and put a trailer body on it.

Thoughts? Opinions? Random, incoherent ramblings?
Pam I mistaking or does one of the pics show the transfer case still in place?

Dave

ScubaCat

Pam I mistaking or does one of the pics show the transfer case still in place?

Dave
It does, Im just presuming there's a problem with it if the front drive axle is removed...Hoping Im wrong. Only reason I can see to remove it is if there is a TC issue, a drive axle issue. It would weigh less and have less parasitic drag, giving more MPG I suppose...

tobyS

I saw that one too. Don't assume anything on this truck. That TC may work fine and they just changed out for maneuverability and or mileage. Remove the back driveshaft and see if they (front and rear output) turns (with no grinding or lose outputs).

The bobbed one you show seems to have a deuce bed. I'll bet you can about trade the box for one. Those are some nice seats.

dilligaf13

It's a lot more work to switch to that I beam steer axle than it is to swap a trashed TC or front axle. My guess is they wanted a 6X4 for the above listed reasons.

ScubaCat

I'm thinking shortened 1082 trailer bed with crewed cab will be tits. The seats alone are worth $800 and is part of the reason I grabbed it. The more I think about it, the more I liked the idea of the 8xx series...

I saw that one too. Don't assume anything on this truck. That TC may work fine and they just changed out for maneuverability and or mileage. Remove the back driveshaft and see if they (front and rear output) turns (with no grinding or lose outputs).

The bobbed one you show seems to have a deuce bed. I'll bet you can about trade the box for one. Those are some nice seats.

tobyS

I'm thinking shortened 1082 trailer bed with crewed cab will be tits. The seats alone are worth $800 and is part of the reason I grabbed it. The more I think about it, the more I liked the idea of the 8xx series...
I had an 817 dump truck (sold) and went through the TC. I like your idea but these are not great highway trucks. The substituted, non driven steer axle would do much better on the highway...so that should be a potential trade item.

Attachments

ScubaCat

Yeah, heard that about these. This will see little highway use. Called the auction facilitator and verified that the front drive shaft and drive axle are included (this was NOT included in the listing info so i'm glad I asked.) Perhaps there is nothing wrong with the system but it was done for other reasons. Sell of the van body and front axle assembly and I will be set to start mods.

Never really read up on bobbing a truck, do they use front axle spring assemblies on the single rear axle? If so, is it over or under sprung?

I had an 817 dump truck (sold) and went through the TC. I like your idea but these are not great highway trucks. The substituted, non driven steer axle would do much better on the highway...so that should be a potential trade item.

tobyS

Yeah, heard that about these. This will see little highway use. Called the auction facilitator and verified that the front drive shaft and drive axle are included (this was NOT included in the listing info so i'm glad I asked.) Perhaps there is nothing wrong with the system but it was done for other reasons. Sell of the van body and front axle assembly and I will be set to start mods.

Never really read up on bobbing a truck, do they use front axle spring assemblies on the single rear axle? If so, is it over or under sprung?
It's over. Yes, someone here probably has some or go to a place that would have a school bus boneyard or other straight trucks. They should have the springs and frame mounts from something that is not too old. You will find many threads on bobbing, even air ride.

BigDawg41

A member of our group has a M109a3. Congrats. Looks like you got a good solid truck. Any parts you remove for your mod I'm sure you could sell locally. We are always swapping /selling parts to each other.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks