• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finding Deuce Stuff

ARYankee

Ok. I know I can check GL or OD Iron as far as parts but what about fluids. I went to Walmart and got some anti-freeze and engine oil. They didn't have much of a selection of items. I used the recovery list from a previous post to get what items I felt I would need for my local recovery tomorrow. The brake fluid was purchased at O'Reilly's Auto and I got to small bottles. I was just wondering what auto parts stores yall use.

littlebob

I'm just wondering what type of brake fluid you purchased? If it is getting released from the
Military, it probably has dot 5, not compatible with the others. I went to a local wholsaler a block away from work to get the 5gal pails of engine oil and gear lube. Napa also has them,
I bought my grease there.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my area the local Farmers CO-OP has the best prices on oil. For other deuce parts that can be had on the civilain market I use NAPA. They are the only parts store around here that have a clue. At Autozone, Advance, ect. if they can't look it up on their computer they are lost. When they ask make and model tell them "AM General M35A2" and see how far you get.rofl

:rant:

A true parts man is a dying breed. Nowdays all you have to know how to do to become a parts man is work a computer. You don't have to know anything about parts or vehicles as long as you can enter it into the computer.

jjfricko

the people at my local parts store (advanced auto parts) dont know a thing about any type of vehicle they cant even operate the computer properly

littlebob

I plan on using mine for rallys and parades, should I keep the DOT 5 since it will be sitting alot?

You can search the threads, but if I understand it they both have have drawbacks. The advantage of the dot5 is it will not absorb moisture like the
dot3&4 that turns it into an acid that eats up all of the metal parts. I'm going with the dot5 beacause I don't know how often I will take it out and be able to boil out the moisture.

Wild Horse Hans

You guys are right about auto parts places these days. I was a parts man before computers when we had racks of books on the counter. You had to know the vehicles and the systems just to get into the proper book. Today they just punch models into the computer and it does the work for them. Up to a point that is. If the computer does not know, niether do they.
Pretty sad really, we used to be able to look at something wierd and know something that would work in it's place. NAPA still seems to have real parts men, and most of the independent parts stores as well, but Autozone and the like are all clerks, not countermen.

ARYankee

I got 2 small DOT 5 brake fluid bottles at O'Reilly's. I'm going to try NAPA or Tractor supply. I wasn't too sure how much fluid I would need but at least I have some now. Thanks for the input guys, it has been a great help since I'm new to this.

Ridgerunner

It's always the same type of people that work at the chain discount auto parts stores. None of them are "parts guys" their just "Cashiers".

My wife dosen't know the difference between a carburetor and a starter if you held both of them in front of her, but she could do just as good of a job as anyone that works at AutoZone or Advanve Auto. Heck, for that matter my mother could work there too.

I like when I go in there and ask for a 1/2"x20 lugnut, then they need to know first, "what year, make, model, and if the car was equiped with air conditioning". All that for a standard lug nut. I will go there only if Im desprate and as a last resort. Their just Cashiers!:roll:

Fluids for the Deuce, I go to Tractor Supply or NAPA

Last edited:

rockman

RR, hold on a second my oldest daughter works at Advanced Auto Parts and is getting pretty good at parts...:-D I like the employee discount..

My challenge is finding GL1, missing at NAPA and TSC here in NE TN...

steelandcanvas

In my area the local Farmers CO-OP has the best prices on oil. For other deuce parts that can be had on the civilain market I use NAPA. They are the only parts store around here that have a clue. At Autozone, Advance, ect. if they can't look it up on their computer they are lost. When they ask make and model tell them "AM General M35A2" and see how far you get.rofl

:rant:

A true parts man is a dying breed. Nowdays all you have to know how to do to become a parts man is work a computer. You don't have to know anything about parts or vehicles as long as you can enter it into the computer.
Very well said. I try to use my hometown NAPA whenever possible, they are a bunch of race car fanatics, and get a big kick out of my Deuce when I come by. Bunch of neat Guys.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A good parts man will compare your part if you bring in what you need ( you should always bring in your old part to compare if possable) even though they look it up on a computer.

My '93 Ford F350 threw a belt one Sunday. Being a Sunday the only place that was open was Autozone. I took in the old belt but the "counter guy" wouldn't even look at it, just started asking questions and typing. He brought out the new belt and it was alot longer than the one I brought in ( I checked, he didn't). I tryed to explain to him the problem but he would have no part of it. He said that was the right belt according to the computer and I was wrong and still wouldn't compare it to the old one even after I tried to show him. I even asked if I could go to the back and find a belt by compairision but he still insisted I was wrong so I ended up storming out empty handed :-x.

Another time I blew a coolant hose on my Freightliner. It was a 1" dia. hose about 3" long. I could see a Advance within walking distance so I headed out. I walked in and asked for a length of 1" hose. They asked for make and model. I told them that it wouldn't be in their computer but they asked again so I told them. You should have seen their heads spin. They said no way but I said surely thay have a piece of 1" hose. They did say I was welcome to look at their hose selection so I did. I found a hose ( that fit who knows what) with several bends but had a 3" staight section so I said I'd take it. They acted like I was crazy and seemed to not know you could cut a piece out of a hose like that.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
parts "men"

I don't know about all you fellas, but I grew up on a farm. We MADE things work. When I was in the military, we didn't have all the "options" so we made do. Didn't have computers or even books sometimes. Did have welder, taps and dies. "Adapt, modify, survive" I am VERY new here at S.S. and a new MV owner. I respect the VAST amount of knowledge and information that this site and it's members share openly and freely!! THANKS TO YOU ALL!! (bailing wire can go a LONG way if it has to!) :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks