• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finding Fastener Nut/Bolt Sizes from Part numbers?

erasedhammer

I've been going through TM9-2320-289-20P, which has the part numbers for all components, but they don't list bolt/nut specifications (thread count, pitch, length, ect).
Even googling the part number and pulling up random listings for the part don't specify the specific sizes.

I am looking to start replacing all hardware with 304 or 316 grade hardware, and I'd like to be able to reference a parts manual rather than pull all the hardware and measure it manually to order new ones.

I've found https://aerospace-hardware.parts which appears to have all the info I need, but can anyone verify that the information there is full and correct for these trucks? Thanks.

A side note, on page 263 (figure 118 - front springs and related parts) Item 12 and 31 (leaf spring bolts) are not listed in the parts list and are not present in the cross-reference chart at the end. Do the part manuals not have complete lists of all hardware?

Last edited:

KallyLC

I've recently done this, as I needed to order new bolts for my cargo top kit. Some of the websites you can punch the NSNs into will often list the specifications for the parts, but their databases seem very patchy and incomplete. I ended up just measuring and checking the bolts I was trying to replace, but that's a lot of work for what it sounds like you're trying to do.

Hopefully there's a more complete database somewhere. Would be interested to know about that, too.

erasedhammer

I've recently done this, as I needed to order new bolts for my cargo top kit. Some of the websites you can punch the NSNs into will often list the specifications for the parts, but their databases seem very patchy and incomplete. I ended up just measuring and checking the bolts I was trying to replace, but that's a lot of work for what it sounds like you're trying to do.

Hopefully there's a more complete database somewhere. Would be interested to know about that, too.
I don't mind taking a ton of time to do it either. Its a long term project, and can be divided up into small portions.

304 stainless is pretty common to find in higher grades, but 316 is almost impossible to find with tensile strengths around 150k PSI. If I'm going to the trouble of replacing all the hardware, might as well go full-send with 316 stainless steel.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you have/had access to FEDLOG, often that info is there. All these websites that provide, (or not provide) that info all use FEDLOG. Most do not show tech data, since that allows you to KNOW what kind of hardware to look for, and its not going to be a profit to them.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have/had access to FEDLOG, often that info is there. All these websites that provide, (or not provide) that info all use FEDLOG. Most do not show tech data, since that allows you to KNOW what kind of hardware to look for, and its not going to be a profit to them.
Parttarget is another source for searching NSN's with specs for most.

Keith_J

Careful with stainless threaded fasteners. They are quite sensitive to galling. Most important would be thread repair inserts and coils.

A2 is 304 stainless equivalent, A4 is 316..matching nuts are often of slightly different alloy to prevent galling as adding small amounts of sulfur aids thread forming and reduces galling at the expense of reduction in tensile properties. Nuts are typically loaded in compression and shear.

Fastener corrosion has increased due to removal of hexavalent chromium conversion coating due to environmental issues. That lovely golden hue used to be zinc chromate conversion which reduces oxidation of the base zinc coating.

I've got a mess of screws on my SECM body that again need replacing, the truck came with a full set from DRMO. Spent an afternoon replacing all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks