• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finding original build date of R1 ?

hmmwv-newbie

My local DMV is giving me trouble over registering and I’m probably going to have to prove to them it’s over 25 years old before they’ll fork over that license plate!

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are probably going to have to register it as a 2005, when the military had them rebuilt they got a new build date and that is what will be on your SF97
The original serial number along with when it was originally built is gone, you did bid on a 2005 yes?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So far what I’m getting from them is they refuse to register it unless 25 years old, something about FMVSS
I do not mean to sound harsh but that was research that would have been best to do before buying a 2005, just 7 more years to go......

hmmwv-newbie

I had others tell me it was doable in this state until I found out they’d bought ones from the 90s guess I should have asked that question first.

There supposedly is another route to go here, something called a bonded title…

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had others tell me it was doable in this state until I found out they’d bough ones from the 90s guess I should have asked that question first.

There supposedly is another route to go here, something called a bonded title…
If a bonded title will work then go for it, I have done a bonded title in Texas and other than a few hoops to jump through it was no sweat.
Hopefully someone from AR will jump in with some useful suggestions, but as far as your OP you have a 2005 and there does not seem to be any way to prove otherwise.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no way to tell actual original build date, but if it's a 3 speed it's 1993 or before, as they started the A2 4 speeds in 1994 I believe

hmmwv-newbie

Yes 3 speed but it got a new 6.5 put in it with the rebuild. I guess they ran out of money to upgrade transmissions on these because 100% of the R1s for sale are 3s.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes 3 speed but it got a new 6.5 put in it with the rebuild. I guess they ran out of money to upgrade transmissions on these because 100% of the R1s for sale are 3s.
It is because the 6.5L was all that was available, the 6.2L had been discontinued just like the NP218 transfer case, all the three speeds remained three speeds as there would have been too many other changes that would have to take place, diffs, half shafts, geared hubs, and many other things would have to be changed, it would have been nice if they at least upgraded to serpentine belts but they all kept the V belts also.
All the R1s that have 4 speed transmissions (and some do) started out as A2s I think..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks