• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Findlay 2015 Armed Forces Day Event May 15

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Findlay: Drive home more eventfull than show... read on

Great event - was nice to make it out there for the first time and meet with a load of SS names and put faces to them.

Tiz a shame that I brought the wrong pickup for the vast pile of stuff Gimp and Dave collected for me.... had a rumble going by Buffalo, that stopped, then getting to Rochester, I thought I needed to clean my sunglasses and or side view mirror - looking a little misty, oh, not misty - smokey! Slowed down and by the time I had stopped, smoke was billowing from the right rear. Walked around the back to see flames pouring from the spoke holes in the rim... One handed dialed 911 as other hand squirted the little fire extinguisher in the direction of the brake drum/bearing.
Let me tell you - I was glad I carried one, as in the 7 -8 minutes it took the fire dept to arrive, I am sure I'd have lost everything if I hadn't.
Two tows later, one off the thru-way (only operator in the area allowed to cover that section, but too busy to take me home), then the second one back on to it and home.

Wheel bearing went, melted oil seal, oil then poured out on hot hub, ignited, blah blah. Pics to follow.

Anyway, as far as the show - it was a riot. Much enjoyed the Beefco hospitality, maybe not so much Kips low blows (just kidding) and every ones impersonations of the Geico gecko and or Sean Connery.

Steve - yes, you were correct, I was "glad you meet me" (your quote)...
Bigsarge - Craig (apparently pronounced Kreg) great that you are now looking at your first purchase!
Shirehorse - so pleased I had a central console en route the Chinese buffet! Lighting forge for transfer lever extn tomorrow.
Kip - wife loved the shirt, "Its dirt coloured too", not sarcastic either!
Mack123 - motions already in progress re cloth flag.
John? UPS duals (appologies, memory fading) sorry to bring up CDL medical and BMI! - but everyone else loved the story.
Carnac - got to 'see you' though you were too busy for me to say hello.
Art - what can I say
bunches of others....

Gimp and Dave - thanks so much for your efforts re my GL stuff. Great to meet you. Appreciated the tent space too.

Zi-bo-ba-be-ber-deeee..... ah just call me Howard

and yes, English Al-U-min-E-um, is stronger than al-oo-min-um. wink wink.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sorry to hear of the troubles. My cell died or I would have tried to call. Next time bring a m101 trailer!

Edit, it was cool to find out you do voice overs for Sean Connery!

Shirehorse

Thank you guys for an awesome first show!

Howard, you're not bad for a Scottish Italian.

20150516_001427.jpg Also, for posterity.

Edit: the orientation of the picture is relative to [redacted]'s and [Redacted]'s BAC at the time the incident took place.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great event - was nice to make it out there for the first time and meet with a load of SS names and put faces to them.

Tiz a shame that I brought the wrong pickup for the vast pile of stuff Gimp and Dave collected for me.... had a rumble going by Buffalo, that stopped, then getting to Rochester, I thought I needed to clean my sunglasses and or side view mirror - looking a little misty, oh, not misty - smokey! Slowed down and by the time I had stopped, smoke was billowing from the right rear. Walked around the back to see flames pouring from the spoke holes in the rim... One handed dialed 911 as other hand squirted the little fire extinguisher in the direction of the brake drum/bearing.
Let me tell you - I was glad I carried one, as in the 7 -8 minutes it took the fire dept to arrive, I am sure I'd have lost everything if I hadn't.
Two tows later, one off the thru-way (only operator in the area allowed to cover that section, but too busy to take me home), then the second one back on to it and home.

Wheel bearing went, melted oil seal, oil then poured out on hot hub, ignited, blah blah. Pics to follow.

Anyway, as far as the show - it was a riot. Much enjoyed the Beefco hospitality, maybe not so much Kips low blows (just kidding) and every ones impersonations of the Geico gecko and or Sean Connery.

Steve - yes, you were correct, I was "glad you meet me" (your quote)...
Bigsarge - Craig (apparently pronounced Kreg) great that you are now looking at your first purchase!
Shirehorse - so pleased I had a central console en route the Chinese buffet! Lighting forge for transfer lever extn tomorrow.
Kip - wife loved the shirt, "Its dirt coloured too", not sarcastic either!
Mack123 - motions already in progress re cloth flag.
John? UPS duals (appologies, memory fading) sorry to bring up CDL medical and BMI! - but everyone else loved the story.
Carnac - got to 'see you' though you were too busy for me to say hello.
Art - what can I say
bunches of others....

Gimp and Dave - thanks so much for your efforts re my GL stuff. Great to meet you. Appreciated the tent space too.

Zi-bo-ba-be-ber-deeee..... ah just call me Howard

and yes, English Al-U-min-E-um, is stronger than al-oo-min-um. wink wink.
Glad you were not hurt during your flame out.

Chuckling as I sit here legs uncrossed and yes I spell it aluminium, the correct way.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
re
bunches of others
I'd appreciate anyone who wants to fill in the gaps - it will help focus my gray matter.

Steve; - yes, you were correct, I was "glad you meet me" (your quote)...
Craig (Bigsarge...); - (apparently pronounced Kreg) .... I think you need to buy a tent before you get a truck.
Brian (Shirehorse); - so pleased I had a central console en route the Chinese buffet! Likes sabot suchi.
Kip(_ _ _); - nice hat, dude
Mack123; - Alabama
John?; UPS duals (appologies, memory fading) sorry to bring up CDL medical and BMI! - but everyone else loved the story.
Andy(_ _ _); second half of the nearly bald "Cake" brothers (John already mentioned)
Carnac; - got to 'see you' though you were too busy for me to say hello.
Art; - where DID you get that feather?
Gimp(gimpyrob); - "let's start at $300"
Dave(mwmules); - "forbidden planet" story
"Stretch"; - Jeep engine hider
'lawnmower long hair'; - Stretches engine hiding assistant
Jeff (Junkyardwarscrusher); target of the jeep engine ploy, also enjoys watching others strapping his load.
Steve (stagg) & _ _ _ ; brothers from KC, one a combat eng' & likes to blow things up!
_ _ _(cbear); Navy guy, sat next to me Sat evening.
Rich (westech) ; "Wanna buy some bulbs?" (Victoria's fella - funny how you remember womens names at a mostly guy event!!)

that's all I got. Sorry if we had a great chat but I omitted to mention you, though with my sarcasm, that may not be a bad thing...

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
re

I'd appreciate anyone who wants to fill in the gaps - it will help focus my gray matter.

Steve; - yes, you were correct, I was "glad you meet me" (your quote)...
Bigsarge; - Craig (apparently pronounced Kreg) .... I think you need to buy a tent before you get a truck.
Shirehorse; - so pleased I had a central console en route the Chinese buffet! Likes sabot suchi.
Kip; - nice hat, dude
Mack123; - Alabama
John?; UPS duals (appologies, memory fading) sorry to bring up CDL medical and BMI! - but everyone else loved the story.
Andy_ _ _; second half of the nearly bald "Cake" brothers (John already mentioned)
Carnac; - got to 'see you' though you were too busy for me to say hello.
Art; - where DID you get that feather?
Gimp; - "let's start at $300"
Dave; - "forbidden planet" story
Stretch; - Jeep engine hider
'lawnmower long hair'; - Stretches engine hiding assistant
Jeff(junkyard wars crusher)_ _ _ ; target of the jeep engine ploy, also enjoys watching others strapping his load.
Steve(stagg)_ _ _ & _ _ _ ; brothers from KC, one a combat eng' & likes to blow things up!
_ _ _ ; Navy guy, sat next to me Sat evening.
Rich(westech)_ _ _ ; "Wanna buy some bulbs?" (Victoria's fella - funny how you remember womens names at a mostly guy event!!)

that's all I got. Sorry if we had a great chat but I omitted to mention you, though with my sarcasm, that may not be a bad thing...
Got a couple.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a great time, as always. Meeting all the new folks was nice. My radiator broke apart in Ravenwood WVa, and the Advance Auto had one in stock. I lost 1.5 hours changing it out, but Ferro was glad he didn't have to come get me.

cbear

Cory works as well. Had a great time hanging out. If the wife lets me steal the baby wagon to tow the trailer, I'd definitely do it again. Got back to Cincinnati with no issues other than my cargo getting wet. I even think the trailer lights worked on the way home.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just got home and pretty sure I passed Shirehorse going through Indy yesterday evening. As usual had a great time and thanks to JW for adding oil to the 6.5.

jw4x4

I was going to let Kip do it, but that dipstick cable in your van is so long, it would have dragged in the dirt.
I had a great time, as always. Ate like a king and didn't need to leave the grounds. Also got lots of nice comments on my "Short Bus'.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Second night under a normal roof since leaving home a week ago. Yep, I got sick and have laryngitis so I sound like some squeaky girl when I talk (and no my gonads are not wrapped too tight and no I have nothing in my fifth point of contact).

EMD, I guess Murphy got passed from me to you. Sorry.

As soon as I get packed up at BFR, it's finally off to home.

Shirehorse

I was going to let Kip do it, but that dipstick cable in your van is so long, it would have dragged in the dirt.
I think I need an adult after reading that.

Yes MWMULES, that was me. I'm surprised you didn't get dripped on by my weeping Pinion seal. The M813 marked it's territory the whole way home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks