• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finished my M1008 and radio shelter

A3superdeuce

I finally got my m1008 pickup and radio shelter camo painted last weekend now my sons want to put it under some camo netting and "hide " the truck.
Told them that was this weekends fun will have pics up soon.
Have to finish bodywork and repaint on customers M1009 this week also.

Attachments

A3superdeuce

I bought it at a show over a year ago the guy bought it thinking it was the WW2 style and just wanted to get rid if it. It was still new in the cardboard box sealed in a plastic bag. It was just like we used to have in my unit and I bought all that he had so I could cover all my trucks. From what I understand the gov. requires that all netting be destroyed now before sale. (which sucks ). Sorry, guys I don't want to sell any just yet:sad:

ABN173

I would do that.........if I had a 2nd M1008 otherwise no way would I give up the bed space.

That looks sharp though, what are you doing with the inside of the shelter?

I still see netting for sale from time to time. They had low tech radar scattering rings attached, but with today's technology I don't think it's as big of a deal.

-Dale

Last edited:

A3superdeuce

I plan on making it into a camper but, with a military angle to it. Will have fold up bed (s) and plenty of storage racks. It still has all of the outlets that were hardwired into it so I have plenty of the 110V plug ins for heater, tv, or other items. external power is through a 110v cable off of a remote generator right now with plans for an inverter on the truck later.

Netting is the "Radar Scattering " type, We had the same stuff for covering our HEMMITT's back when I was in the Air Cav in the 80's.

niferous

They actually have a newer type of netting that is mesh and then has the fake "leaves". Same Mickey Mouse looking poles. Back around 2003 we got rid of a bunch, and I mean a bunch, of the old style netting. Our TOC and TAC took up about 5-10 acres of tent space and then the whole thing had to be covered by camo netting. We would get the biggest nets they had and then just zip tie them together. One thing about the new netting is that it doesn't let near as much light through. This was for HHC III Corps at Ft Hood. It took about two weeks to set everything up and run all the wires! :p

Anyway I got a bunch of the netting when they threw the old stuff away. We had a motor pool sergeant that didn't understand it had to be de-milled so he was just throwing big bundles into the dumpsters. I gave it all away sadly not understanding that years later I would be bitten by the OD bug! :cry: I probably had 3 bags (they came in big bundles that were then wrapped up into a bag and took 3-4 guys to carry).

SIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHH wish I still had it.

I love the commo shelter though. I spent a lot of time in them at Ft Gordon when I was stationed there. Most of ours were two men shelters on the back of 5-tons although we had a few of the ones on the back of HMMWVs. After I got to Ft Hood we had the commo shelters on the HMMWVs only. All our 5-tons were set up as rolling offices for my section. We had some pretty custom stuff made by government contractors. I wish I had taken pics now as it was all very neat one off stuff. Most of it was classified anyhow though I could have only taken pictures of the outsides.

You need to find an old OE-254 antenna to set-up outside. [thumbzup] Good job though. Makes me want an M1028 or M1008 with a shelter in a bad way!

Rich Johnson

Very awesome. I love shelter carrier trucks. There is just something about a huge ridiculas looking box in the back of a truck that looks so cool. I have an M37 shelter carrier and an S-250 sitting on an M116. I wish I could put it in my 1008a1 but I just cant justify carrying around a full teletype setup that weighs 2k llbs for absolutely no reason other than "It looks cool" I have my M37 for that, and it has all its green radios that I use. If I had another empty 250 shelter I might make it a camper and slap it on my cucv.
I have a whole page on my website dedicated to shelter carriers, check it out.
So can we see some pics of the inside of that thing? What was the designation of what was in it, it sure doesnt look like it was a TTY rig.

A3superdeuce

I'll try to get some pics of the inside it is pretty bare right now as the only thing in it when I picked it up was the breaker panel, the 2 front wall blowers and the amp heat extractor fan and vent. still has antenna door and video access door. it also had 2 sets of tiags for shelter designation one says: shelter electrical equipement on a black faceplate and the one on top of it says: tropospheric scatter radio terminal. There were also 2 data plates with different weights but the same measurements.
I'll check out the webpage as well

A3superdeuce

I used to build movie car replicas a few years back so I have all my own paint guns and tools.
Now I'm doing resto work on all these trucks that I used to drive when Uncle Sam first bought them.
I used to work in a CSMS shop doing the painting of all military vehicles, started out painting the old 4 color alkalide enamel then switched to the CARC 3 color patterns.
Used the TM for the patterns is listed here in the recourses section.