• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finished my M915A1 AC Install (HMMWV Kit)

agazza2

Purchased one of the HMMWV AC Kits and installed this system in my 1984 M915A1. I did mine slightly different than reb87 with the same kit. The HMMWV kit is the same as the one for a M915A1 with a few exceptions: AC bracket, brackets for roof mount are about 1" narrower and do not fit the roof in the correct spot.

My requirements for this install was to retain the spare tire, and be able to mount the evaporator in the same position as the kit for the M915A1 install instructions. This would give me room behind the seat to store over the road items. The install went very easy and only additional item I needed to purchase was 4' more of #6 Red dot hose. I ended up ordering 2 AC Compressor mount brackets. The first from AP Air, prior to finding the original bracket from Red Dot RD-9-10055-0P.

I used most of the parts from this kit for my install with a few remaining HMMWV parts that I will list for sale, along with the AP Air compressor bracket for the NTC-400 motor in the classifieds. Today I took the truck down to ThermoKing of Austin TX (a Red Dot Distributor) for the AC system to be vac'd down and charged. They also did a nitrogen charge to check for any leaks. The system takes 4.7lbs of R134 freon, and definitely blows very cold. I think only low blower speed will be utilized. I am very happy with this kit, which would also be a great one to install in a M35, or M923/931A2 series truck. Red Dot and AP Air makes a great assortment of brackets for all the motors. Now for a few pics of my install.

20130921_155505.jpg20131003_185015.jpg20131003_180104.jpg20131003_185025.jpg20131010_170227.jpg20131010_170237.jpg20131010_171815.jpg

agazza2

Why did you choose to use the red dot bracket over the AP one?
The Red Dot one included a belt, and bracket for a 1/2" breaker bar to tighten the compressor. Also the AP Air one required you to undo one line going to the compressor to install the bracket. But the AP Air bracket actually looks stronger and is about $36 cheaper. Here is a photo of the AP Air Bracket for comparison.

AP Air 995-126.jpg

Artisan

Good job! Gotta love the BENDIX Fan Clutch too!
I like it better than OE. I have spares fs.

But your drawing almost THIRTY Amps w/ just the A/C system off that
time bomb of a 24V Transformer Rectifier. I PM'd you the link to my build
thread where were trying to find a resolve.

FreightBoss

Has anyone had problems with the air compressor on the M915a2? I just blew up my second in as many weeks. I am using my M915a2 commercially...I read on a string somewhere that when the engine has a governor it create very high crankcase pressure...could that create some sort of back pressure on the air compressor?
first air compressor.jpgThis is the one I blew 11/10

This is the one I blew 11/13

this weeks air compressor.jpg

freightboss tractor in better times.jpg

Last edited:

74M35A2

Do you mean air compressor or A/C compressor? If A/C compressor, check to see you are in the appropriate operating ranges for refrigerant and oil level.

If air compressor, should pull a new thread for Q&A.

agazza2

I have a M915A1 with a headache rack on back. will the ac unit you have work on my truck and can I ask where you got it from and the cost of it?
Yes, the HMMWV kit will work, I had to purchase a few hose fittings to do the configuration that I wanted. The fittings are readily available from RED DOT distributors. I have sold the truck, and do not have the receipts to look up which fittings. But if I remember right it was just straight fittings to replace the 90 degree fittings.

I bought these on GL when they had them, along with a A2 AC kit. If you watch the large commercial auction sites, they still come up, but are around $1100. After trying to find all the parts individually for my FMTV, I would happily pay to have everything I need in a kit for $1100. Hope this helps

ac kit for 1984 m915A1

Purchased one of the HMMWV AC Kits and installed this system in my 1984 M915A1. I did mine slightly different than reb87 with the same kit. The HMMWV kit is the same as the one for a M915A1 with a few exceptions: AC bracket, brackets for roof mount are about 1" narrower and do not fit the roof in the correct spot.

My requirements for this install was to retain the spare tire, and be able to mount the evaporator in the same position as the kit for the M915A1 install instructions. This would give me room behind the seat to store over the road items. The install went very easy and only additional item I needed to purchase was 4' more of #6 Red dot hose. I ended up ordering 2 AC Compressor mount brackets. The first from AP Air, prior to finding the original bracket from Red Dot RD-9-10055-0P.

I used most of the parts from this kit for my install with a few remaining HMMWV parts that I will list for sale, along with the AP Air compressor bracket for the NTC-400 motor in the classifieds. Today I took the truck down to ThermoKing of Austin TX (a Red Dot Distributor) for the AC system to be vac'd down and charged. They also did a nitrogen charge to check for any leaks. The system takes 4.7lbs of R134 freon, and definitely blows very cold. I think only low blower speed will be utilized. I am very happy with this kit, which would also be a great one to install in a M35, or M923/931A2 series truck. Red Dot and AP Air makes a great assortment of brackets for all the motors. Now for a few pics of my install.

View attachment 456661View attachment 456664View attachment 456663View attachment 456665View attachment 456666View attachment 456667View attachment 456668
I dont have the tire mount on my truck. I have a head ache rack installed instead. I would really like to have an AC kit system installed on my truck if I could.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a correct NOS red dot a/c kit for the m915a1 trucks available..... pm me.......

Z

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks