• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finishing up my M1028

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am now in the final stages of my M1028 rebuild. Been working on it off-and-on since June 2010. Still need to rebuild the injector pump, re-pack front hubs, and install a new harmonic balancer.

Attachments

jets1959

Wow!!! Looking good!!! The projects you have left aren't that bad. Just hope they didn't glue down your intake manifold with the same stuff they did mine. I had to use my engine hoist and had the front wheels off the ground before it broke loose. Still would like to know what they use so I could use it on other applications.:popcorn:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mikeV - I built those rims in 1985 and ran the same tire/wheel setup on a civi K30 4WD SRW for 10 years. When I decided to build my M1028, I planned to use the same tire/wheel.

The tires are 44" tall and there is hardly any rolling resistance. 1900 RPM @ 50 MPH with surprising power. I run 35 PSI for good road contact.

To clear the 44" tire height, I raised the truck 5" with springs and Zero-Rates from Off Road Design. The Zero-Rates provide for forward-backward relocation of the axles. I had to relocate the front axle 1" forward to clear the inner fender. And still had to trim the fenders to the maximum.

To balance the monsters, I used Balance Masters behind each wheel which automatically balances the entire wheel assembly via 40 ounces of Mercury at 15 MPH. The truck is smooth as silk at all speeds and rides better than my wife's Honda. I documented the entire rebuild in my rebuild thread (below).

Thanks for the accolades.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
usmc80 - the seats are factory with new cushioning and black seat covers from LMC.

All sheet metal is original, with the exception of the hood, which is NOS. Please review my rebuild thread. The tailgate is original.

KF4ACN - What the **** is a tier?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks