• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire Dept Needs Help

Chief 15

Good afternoon. Our volunteer fire department has a M1078. One of our folks left the ignition switch on, and of course that killed the battery. We use two 12-volt batteries to power the truck. They were disconnected and charged separately; however in the process, the charger was put on the wrong terminals when they switched to the second battery, and something blew. There is no power now. Is there a main fuse we can check? We need the truck for a Toys For Tots event.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok. You mentioned batteries were disconnected for charging. Is this correct? If only the single battery was reverse polaritied, then that battery is shot. Check both batteries for voltage to start with.

Ronmar

Well the charging backwards is one issue, but this almost sounds like the batteries were not installed correctly.

Define “tested as ok”. Voltage, or voltage under load. Do they pass a CCA test? Not ok untill it holds a load with acceptable volt drop.

as mentioned, check connections. Under load the voltage at the power panel test points should be no more than 3% lower than the voltage at the batteries with the same load. IE: all the lights turned on, measure battery voltage and power panel voltage. Bad connections are common on the polarity device inboard of the spare tire since those are out in the weather. A bad connection will pass full voltage untill you try and pull some current thru it, so voltage is not good until tested good under load…

A basic lower rate load tester, 75-100A can do this properly at the power panel test points.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He might be saying that they connected the charger to the truck instead of the batteries.

Sounds like the batteries were disconnected and charged in the truck. I have nothing more to add but perhaps this will help the others come up with ideas.

Guyfang

Staff member
Good afternoon. Our volunteer fire department has a M1078. One of our folks left the ignition switch on, and of course that killed the battery. We use two 12-volt batteries to power the truck. They were disconnected and charged separately; (If the batteries were disconnected, when you charged them, Its hard to damage the truck electric system. Or am I missing something here?) however in the process, the charger was put on the wrong terminals when they switched to the second battery, (Were the second battery terminals hooked up to the charger? Or did someone hook up the charger to the truck wire harness terminals?) and something blew. There is no power now. Is there a main fuse we can check? We need the truck for a Toys For Tots event.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parts that might be smoked due to reverse polarity: alternator, alternator regulator, TCM (transmission controller located with keypad), transmission VIM (vehicle interface module located under PDP power distribution panel).

GopherHill

I know this isn't really useful but..
This is one of the few drawbacks to using military equipment in volunteer fire departments. Personnel need training using these trucks but probably won't get it or won't pay attention. I made a cheat sheet for our M35a2 but still only a select few are allowed to drive it. Just my opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks