• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire extinguisher placement in M37

dcbrown

Evening folks. Can anyone tell me the precise type (a photo would be awesome) of the correct fire extinguisher for a 1953 M37? Also, where were they routinely mounted? I am assuming that maybe the Pyrene Heavy Vehicle type would be right for an early Power Wagon, but wanted to check with the experts. Thanks for any help.
Chris

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe you are correct about the type of fire extinguisher. I had a picture, I can't find it now, but it showed the fire bottle mounted lengthwise on the tranny hump to the right of the shifter knobs.

zak

Here's a picture of the bracket mounted on the passenger side cab wall. This is the correct mounting place and bracket. The picture is a little fuzzy because I had to blow it up. After a certain year(1955 I think) they were no longer included.

Attachments

Bill W

As Mentioned it was mounted on the pass side foot well. The ext and the first aid kit was deleted in 1953 but that did not stop me from putting both in my 54,model :eek:

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess the pic I had showed it in the wrong location.

Why do I suddenly have Weird Al singing "Everything You Know is Wrong" in my head?

dcbrown

Thanks a ton fellas. The photos are extremely helpful! Was the bracket screwed into the interior wall with metal screws? Was it tack-welded? I just want to make sure I do it right. Thanks again.
Chris

GUNNY 155

Given the time and money we all put into our MV restorations I hope we all have a real fire extinguisher some place on our vehicles along with a pair of good leather gloves. Just an old FD Battalion Chief sounding off here! If you have a vehicle fire that is not quickly controlled the end result is always a bad one. Also remember as soon as you have the fire controlled disconnect the batteries.

M-37Bruce

Very Good Advice Gunny

Given the time and money we all put into our MV restorations I hope we all have a real fire extinguisher some place on our vehicles along with a pair of good leather gloves. Just an old FD Battalion Chief sounding off here! If you have a vehicle fire that is not quickly controlled the end result is always a bad one. Also remember as soon as you have the fire controlled disconnect the batteries.
Behind the driver's seat maybe?