• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire extinguisher that fits existing mount M1009

Hi guys
Ive been searching for a fire extinguisher that fits in the existing mount in my m1009. Hoping someone can give me brand, model, link, etc to something that is known to fit properly. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
They came out with a 2 3/4 pound Br by metal craft and after Halon became a bad thing were replaced with a 2.5 pound dry chem 3 type and 2 class 4210-00-889-2221 made by whoever had the lowest bid, AMEREX Corp, Buckeye, Pyro chem, Kidde and many more. At change over a lot of if not most of the brackets were changed also so no real telling which one you have, I have seen some that had 5 pound mounted in them in the back.

Hmm ok I thought it was standard. Is there a way to tell which mount I have? I can post a picture if it helps.Fx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpg From the way yours looks I would say it's a 2.5 dry chem that the PO tried to jam a larger size bending the forks at the top out. Just about any new 2.5lb will work and the usually come with a very similar bracket if not the same one. Plus if you ever need to use it, it will work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozarks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys ... I know this is an old thread but where exactly is this mounted ... is this on the driver’s side next to the transfer case shifter? Thanks!

jasonjc

Just a note on those bracket's, I got a fleet of bus here at work and I can tell fire extinguishers "A" does not fit bracket "B". They are all just a little different in size. Best is to just an extinguisher with the bracket.

Ozarks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a note on those bracket's, I got a fleet of bus here at work and I can tell fire extinguishers "A" does not fit bracket "B". They are all just a little different in size. Best is to just an extinguisher with the bracket.
Do you have a make/model/part number and source you could recommend? Thanks!

dougco1

Guys ... I know this is an old thread but where exactly is this mounted ... is this on the driver’s side next to the transfer case shifter? Thanks!
Yes, there should be a raised plate that the bracket mounts to. If not, just mount the bracket to the floor pan with short self tapping screws.

jasonjc

Do you have a make/model/part number and source you could recommend? Thanks!
Personally I prefer the 5lb ones that have the hose and if you get one with the metal head they are refillable. Just get one that comes with the bracket. Shop around prices very. And take it out and shake it every month or so or the powder will pack down. I think the military used "purple K" its the type of powder and its better for fuel fires but cost more.

ssdvc

Personally I prefer the 5lb ones that have the hose and if you get one with the metal head they are refillable. Just get one that comes with the bracket. Shop around prices very. And take it out and shake it every month or so or the powder will pack down. I think the military used "purple K" its the type of powder and its better for fuel fires but cost more.
LOL!! Purple K ! Use it once and then totally write off the equipment it was used on. That stuff makes a HUGE mess and is not friendly to anything, fire included.

Ozarks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks