• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire Truck Owners

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While my fire Jeep is not a Military version, I spent a lot of time but not so much $ outfitting it with all the hose, nozzles, ladders, adapters, hand tools, manuals and everything else it came with from the factory, and also what would of been reasonably been added to it in it's 50 years of service. The pump, all hose, and everything else work as it should. I get 488GPM at draft out of it when it was rated for 500 GPM when it left the factory 50 years ago.. Not bad at all.

In my opinion, a fire truck without any gear is only 1/2 way there to being restored.

I caution anyone who is going to put hose/nozzles/hose adapters/fittings on their truck make sure you find out what thread pattern it should be, or what you want it to have. Bastard threads (and yes, thats a slang term in the fire service) can make you go nuts. If it doesnt matter to you, go with National Hose/National Standard threads (NH and NS are the same thing) on everything and you'll be OK. Thats what most departments use throught the USA. Unless your FDNY, Phily, and some other big cities with their own thread pattern... If the coupling/fitting isnt stamped NH or NS and you cant check it with known NS/NH threads, be VERY wary.
Free hose that doesnt connect to anything (unless your looking to have it for show only) is useless.

boomer

Emmado,
I agree with you, as for not having the accessories- it's still in progress. There is another post on this site with a varirty of fire trucks. Mostly older, and mostly not (or half) restored.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ASSUME that the 530's would all have NH/NS threads on them. The US Navy likes to use NPSH (National Pipe) threads for their stuff, but I bought an Ex USN Akron Brass Water Thief (that orignially cost Uncle Sam $800)with NH 2.5 inch threads and 1.5 inch NPSH threads on it for $50. I changed the 1.5 inch threads to 1.5 NH with a call to Akron Brass and $60. :)

It sucks going to fire muster flea markets finding boxes of fittings for $5 each that ARENT the threads you need. I have a set of lightweight 1.5 and 2.5 inch NH male and female couplings that I test everything that I am looking to buy for my rig so I know it is NH threads. Buyers at fire musters in PA need to be especially carefull as Philly's FD threads have spread to depts outside Philly, and there is Philly threaded stuff all over down there. Thankfully FDNY stuff has stayed in NYC, and the surrounding depts have NH threads.

One interesting note is in the days after 9/11, lots of out of NYC depts sent trucks to stand by in FDNY fire houses to cover calls. Those trucks had NH threads, and it was incompatible with the hydrants/standpipes/FDC connections in the city. Lots of adapters were emergency purchased by FDNY for those out of town trucks.

Bottom line: If you are going to equip a truck, go with NH/NS threaded hose/nozzles/fittings. Anything else, and it's an uphill battle for compatibility. Also, if you see hose on Ebay that ISNTstamped NH or NS on the coupling, just assume it is NOT NS/NH threaded...

I'll bet a few bucks your local FD has NH threaded stuff.

Last edited:

jasonjc

BUMP

Does any one here have a list of the equipment came on the 530C fire tucks??

I need to start getting "stuff" for mine but don't want to waste $$ on stuff that was not on it or is the wrong style.

And thanks Emmado22 for pointing out the thread thing. All thought I was on a fire department for a few years, I would never have thought about the threads.

DeucesWild11

My Bobbed deuce used to be a firetruck and it still has the rear PTO which I assume ran the water pump or something. Also a reserve tank behind the seat for something as well.. I have the original data plate on the door from when it was a firetruck as well.. Not sure if that helps you or anyone else..

NEIOWA

I ASSUME that the 530's would all have NH/NS threads on them. The US Navy likes to use NPSH (National Pipe) threads for their stuff, but I bought an Ex USN Akron Brass Water Thief (that orignially cost Uncle Sam $800)with NH 2.5 inch threads and 1.5 inch NPSH threads on it for $50. I changed the 1.5 inch threads to 1.5 NH with a call to Akron Brass and $60. :)

I'll bet a few bucks your local FD has NH threaded stuff.
Bastard threads are most often found on the two coast or in medium or larger cities/metro areas (250000+) Smaller communities mostly are going to have standard NH.

It looks to me like DOD standard for 1-1/2" is/has been NPSH (standard pipe thread) in 25ft lengths. At least that is all that I've seen in DRMS listings over the last 10years (I have a bunch of new in box NPSH that is useless to my FD).

jasonjc

maybe in here somewhere..

TM 5-421 0-21 7-1 2

Full text of "ARMY_TECHNICAL_MANUAL_TM5_4210_217_12"

Mike

Thanks I went and looked back at my -12 ( I got and corpyed it from my local library;)) All I could find in it was a load plan, but it just said thing like 1 1/2" water nozzle. It did list alot of stuff but no details. I now the truck had one of 3 sets of equipment depending on what the truck was to be use for, brush , structure or air craft fires.

Bastard threads are most often found on the two coast or in medium or larger cities/metro areas (250000+) Smaller communities mostly are going to have standard NH.

It looks to me like DOD standard for 1-1/2" is/has been NPSH (standard pipe thread) in 25ft lengths. At least that is all that I've seen in DRMS listings over the last 10years (I have a bunch of new in box NPSH that is useless to my FD).
The TM says that it uses NH (American national fire-hose coupling thread). So the military used the NH thread for the fire trucks.

And the tank behind the seat is an oil tank for the primer pump. The primer pump is a small eletric pump that sucks up the water into the main fire pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks