• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First CUCV purchase. What should I look for?

TexVet

Good morning, everyone.
New member. First post. Been scouting this site for awhile. Finally getting around to buying my first deisel on Tuesday (maybe).
It's an 86. Purchased from an auction in 2009. Supposedly with a new engine, transfer case, brakes, shocks and fresh coat of "primer." To which I would assume it was the carc paint.

Besides fluids, operating temp, ensuring the transfer case shifts properly, and a rust inspection, what other things should I look for?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

MarcusOReallyus

Welcome! :beer:

Vacuum lines. Easy fix, not a show stopper at all, but can make it a trailer-it-home, instead of a drive-it-home. But sounds like you'll get a drive test, so no problem. But take a look at them. They might be borderline, which could let you drive home, but would need work. Less than a $20 fix. Easy.

Check out the battery wiring. If it's been converted to 12v, be a little skeptical. Not that converting is a bad thing, but it's often a butcher job which will take some untangling. If it's done well, no problem. Some here are stuck on 24v and will give you grief for converting, but 12v systems are starting a lot of trucks every day, and have for a few decades now.

If my 24v starter dies, I'll probably do the Roscommon conversion to mine. Until then, it ain't broke...

Supposedly with a ... fresh coat of "primer." To which I would assume it was the carc paint.

I don't see any reason to assume that. Unless you set on keeping it historically accurate, it doesn't matter anyway. CARC is tougher than most paints, I hear, but other than that, the only thing it gives you is a reduced infrared signature. That's not particularly useful for a civilian working truck. :D Depends on why you are buying it, of course. If it's a worker, CARC just doesn't really matter.

Enjoy!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

Make sure you read all the stickies for the common CUCV issues.

Also on a side note, per the site rules you need to change your user profile and add your State of Residence. The US is not a state. ;-)

TexVet

Thanks, I'll make sure to take note of vacuum lines. It is in running and driving condition. The only negative I have been warned about is "some play in the steering that takes some getting used to." But I was told that it has been this way for a couple years. So I'll check for bushing wear as well as broken linkage.

Since the family has had it, they have replaced the batteries, starter, and one generator. It IS still on the 24v system.
I'm not stuck on the 24v. I also follow the rule of not messing with things if it isn't broken.

I only assumed is was carc because they said the gov did it. I will eventually put fresh paint on to clean it up a bit. There's a CUCV on ebay right now that has the basic look I'm going for.

This will be a just a 4x4 for me. I plan to turbo. Whether Banks or scavenged 6.5 parts. I live in a hilly area and my Jetta doesn't do well on said hills with even a light dusting of snow.

TexVet

Welcome to the site.

Make sure you read all the stickies for the common CUCV issues.

Also on a side note, per the site rules you need to change your user profile and add your State of Residence. The US is not a state. ;-)
I'll give em a read.
Aaaannnnnd roger

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Academy! :mrgreen::jumpin::cookoo:

Be patient. The right truck will come along. A little story - I always wanted a Crown Victoria P71 Police Interceptor. I spent over a year searching for one. I searched a 100 mi radius from my house. I test drove a bunch, and wasn't satisfied with any of them. I put the word out to a few friends. One of them called me out of the blue. He found me the car of my dreams. It had full carpet and cruise control built into the steering wheel (both are VERY rare options for an Interceptor). There was no cage in the back. The back seat was factory original, and the rear doors had factory interior door panels. It had a driver side spotlight. I spent 10 minutes going over the car with a fine toothed comb, and decided it was the one. A couple of hours later, I drove it home. That was 7 years and 52,000 mi ago. I still love that car, and am thankful I was patient.

My advice: Read, research, join a local MV club, get to know others afflicted with OD Fever. Make friends that own CUCVs. Learn the trucks by offering to help your new friends with maintenance. Check the Classifieds section here. Don't jump on the first truck you see.

My 2cents

Last edited:

TexVet

Thanks for the welcome.

I suppose you're right. I have been actively searching a little over a year now. I guess it wouldn't kill me to wait longer.

As my screen name implies, I am a veteran. I've been hooked on MV's for a while. I first got an itch for the m1008 when I was voluntold to participate in a post clean-up and instead went wheeling in one that I grabbed from the motorpool.

I assume there are local group threads on here?

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a quick search and found these MVPA-Affiliated Clubs:
Central Jersey Military Motor Pool – www.cjmmp.org
Military Transport Association – www.mtaofnj.org

Also check the Upcoming Events Forum for events in your area.