• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Deuce, Info check

whyme

going Wed do pick it up from Mechanicsburg, unless i can find someone here that can help me it looks like its getting towed 90 miles west to State college, check out my thread in transportation if you can help in that department.

as of now it has no brakes, i have yet to get a look at it so that's anyone's guess.

searching has resulted in me finding this info:

Dot 5 silicone brake fluid only

transmission and transfer case take gl-1 90w gear oil, not sure how much each takes. also the axles take the same?

engine takes 15w-40 motor oil, again have yet to find capacity sure ill find it tho

need suggestions on cheap source on filters, classifieds and ebay i know, just wondering if anyone knows of a great deal.

Batteries seem to be personal choice? biggest CCA battery that you can fit in the box? ill check out the local interstate dealer for deals.

seems im not making the journy home to ny with it right away but rather get it off the lot and store it in pa till i can get it road worthy.

TexAndy

Brakes might just need to be given fluid and bled of air. Also, you could have some wheel cylinders with light surface rust causing them to stick.

That can be fixed by putting some air pressure on the system. Just get some fittings, tube, and a regulator to hook your deuce cab air supply up to your master cylinder. Start with the regulator fully closed and slowly open it to no more than 15 or 20 psi.

Don't forget coolant.

You should also take some spare belts in case your water pump or alt belt decides to die. I don't remember the numbers off-hand, but O'Reilleys is the best place I've found for deuce belts and hoses. They cross-reference to NAPA part numbers, too.

An air hose that will hook up to your cab air or the glad hand so you can air the tires off the deuce compressor would be good, too.

Everything else you've listed sounds good. For the amount of oil and type you need for various stuff, check the Lube Order under the "resources" page.

I picked up 2 1000 CCA Maxx batteries from the local walmart when I picked my deuce up. Plenty of power, even in the winter, and started the truck even after it sat around for a month or so.

Heavysteven

I bought the filters from Deuceman51.

Also took a little under 10 gallons of gear oil.

I would change out all the vent springs before you hit the road.
Also, lube the air pack and check for lose bolts between the transmission and transfer case. Include the bolts holding the steering box.

6x6guy

Your better off having it towed- and working on it at your leasure- and not be in a hurry, forced into a situtation that could be avoidable.
I went to Great Lakes to check out a truck before a auction, and this guy was going through his truck ( getting it ready for the road trip) checked his fluids and levels and was on his way.
I passed him up about a 1/2 hour later- with his hood up, low crawling under his truck.
I like to learn from other peoples misfortunes, you can't assume anything from anybody
especially from GL- dealing in goverment surplus- nobody else wants!!!