• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First deuce--need help.

dirtyfingernails

I test drove a 1971 am general with LDS-465-C and air shift this morning. The rear hubs had been flipped, so it only had single tires (900s). It started right up, cold, stopped very sharply and didn't seem to burn any oil-no obvious blue smoke (although there was a little on start up). A few drips here and there, but it seemed pretty tight to me. I drove it about 15 miles down a country road maintaining about 2000 rpm. It held about 30 lbs of oil pressure throughout the drive. The body is several colors, green, sand. It was a forestry truck in MS. It is titled too. Asking price is $3200. I fell in love. Wife even okayed it for the driveway. I'm an extreme novice with this truck. It sounded like the air pump on the drivers side had a bad bearing, but I'm not sure--just a little tweek randomly. No real rust--minor stuff in my opinion. What else should I check out? Is this an okay price? I really need to know what to look for. I stood on the brakes about 5 times and there doesn't appear to be any leakage inside the wheels. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Steve

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$3200.00 Doesn't seem bad. Does it have a winch? Soft or hard top? Air shift, title..that's half the battle now..good brakes. Only the noise would bother me. See if they'll let you have a mechanic look at it, or maybe see if someone from here could go with you to look at it again. Sounds reasonable.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Brakes are reasonaly inexpensive and easy to do, but 30 lbs of oil pressure going down the road seems a bit low to me.................

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had trucks that had 30 going down the road and lasted long time! Powerplant engineers rule of thumb, 10 psi per 1000 RPM. The intermittent compressor noise might be regular operating noise and you're just noticing it when its compressing.

dirtyfingernails

No pictures and no winch. I was concerned about the oil pressure at 30. I suppose it could have even been the gauge. So, sound reasonable to you guys or should I keep looking? I know I'm asking a lot when you haven't seen it. What should the oil pressure be? The guy had plenty of dueces and said if something went out he'd replace it. Was a very nice fellow in Live Oak Florida. Thanks again.
DFN

jwaller

doesnt sound too bad. maybe a few hundered more than I'd pay but if it is close and you dont have to drive 1000 miles to get it. thats worth something. and he will fix anything that breaks, thats priceless.

citizensoldier

sounds good

How do the axle seals look? Are they leaking all over? What about tire condition? Did you put it through its paces? 6 low all gears,check all fluids,ingage the front,drain air tanks,check brake fluid,and on and on and on
I am new to the deuce scene also but that oil pressure seems low compared to my truck. But from what I hear they are hard to kill and it could go a long time with no problems.
Price seem ok but hard to say without seeing it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: sounds good

LDS motor is a nice benefit. I would accept the oil pressure running low as long as it has some at idle warm(5-10psi). Not a bad price, I have about that into mine . If you can afford it I would say go for it, you will really enjoy owning driving and maintaining one. Good luck!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Live Oak eh? Sounds like that might be Matt. If I can get my ducks in a row, I'll be up there next weekend getting my cab for the M108.

texas-5-ton

Steve,
I used to own a 71 exactly like you are talking about and that was the best vehicle I ever owned. Seemed like it was even more dependable than my modern day transportation. That truck never let me down. Wish I still had it.
Chad

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks