• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Dodge truck - 1962 M43B1 Ambulance

mikeM43

Hello all,

My name is Mike and I live in Poland. My dad and I have recently purchased our first Dodge truck and I love it! Its an M43B1 Ambulance with a date of delivery of 1962 although the frame number indicates its a 1964. I already own an M151A2 but I have never worked on bigger trucks (Im still trying to learn all the differences between a Dodge and a MUTT). In fact Im not a mechanic at all and get all my technical knowledge from army manuals and internet sources. Fortunatelly the ambulance that we bought runs, drives and brakes great. The motor is an original flathead six - it is unknown to me if it was rebuilt in the past. There is no weird sounds comming from the engine or the transmission. The oil pressure gauge shows a constant 60 psi pressure which I think is good although I would like to double check it with a replacement gauge or in some other way. All the electricals work well - stoplights, indicators (Im not sure if these are actually stock), patient compartment lights and ventilator blowers also I get almost 28 volts on my meter at the batteries with engine running. The truck has a Federal siren mounted on the fender - I really love it but consider taking it off beacause as far as I know these were not mounted in factory. I plan to keep it as much stock as possible as Im a member of a Vietnam War reenactment/historical unit and will use it for medical displays and parades. For now the truck needs a fresh coat of paint and a complete set of new decals. Im also planning to change the soft brake lines (they are old) and possibly wheel cylinders. The underbody is covered in rust but as far as I can tell its all surface rust and Im fine with it, Im not planning taking it apart and sandblasting it anyway. At least not for now. I will be also replacing the tires as they are old and cracked, the spare is a military NDT so I only need 4 new.
I drove the truck home two weeks ago and did almost 75 miles and it ran very well. I still need to practice double clutching as sometimes I would grind the gears which sent shivers down my spine every time. Anyway, here are some pictures. Let me know what you think. I would very much appreciate all the tips for a newbie that you can share. Thanks!

Attachments

mikeM43

Hello ReoRider! As far as I know the truck was restored (painted for sure) in 1990s or early 2000s by a collector in Austria (its an ex Austrian army truck) and used as an RV for camping trips. There are several 12v outlets located in the patients compartment as well as inside the drivers cab Although Im not sure if they work as I havent checked the voltage there yet. I only have time to work on it during the weekends and it will take time before I sort it all out. What I have to do first is to change all the fluids in the engine, diffs and transmission and drain the radiator. Any tips on engine oil type? Also the truck has to sit outside for now as it wont fit into my garage. I dont like the idea and will have to figure something out before winter...

Last edited:

DicktheDog

Hello all,

My name is Mike and I live in Poland. My dad and I have recently purchased our first Dodge truck and I love it! Its an M43B1 Ambulance with a date of delivery of 1962 although the frame number indicates its a 1964. I already own an M151A2 but I have never worked on bigger trucks (Im still trying to learn all the differences between a Dodge and a MUTT). In fact Im not a mechanic at all and get all my technical knowledge from army manuals and internet sources. Fortunatelly the ambulance that we bought runs, drives and brakes great. The motor is an original flathead six - it is unknown to me if it was rebuilt in the past. There is no weird sounds comming from the engine or the transmission. The oil pressure gauge shows a constant 60 psi pressure which I think is good although I would like to double check it with a replacement gauge or in some other way. All the electricals work well - stoplights, indicators (Im not sure if these are actually stock), patient compartment lights and ventilator blowers also I get almost 28 volts on my meter at the batteries with engine running. The truck has a Federal siren mounted on the fender - I really love it but consider taking it off beacause as far as I know these were not mounted in factory. I plan to keep it as much stock as possible as Im a member of a Vietnam War reenactment/historical unit and will use it for medical displays and parades. For now the truck needs a fresh coat of paint and a complete set of new decals. Im also planning to change the soft brake lines (they are old) and possibly wheel cylinders. The underbody is covered in rust but as far as I can tell its all surface rust and Im fine with it, Im not planning taking it apart and sandblasting it anyway. At least not for now. I will be also replacing the tires as they are old and cracked, the spare is a military NDT so I only need 4 new.
I drove the truck home two weeks ago and did almost 75 miles and it ran very well. I still need to practice double clutching as sometimes I would grind the gears which sent shivers down my spine every time. Anyway, here are some pictures. Let me know what you think. I would very much appreciate all the tips for a newbie that you can share. Thanks!
Gorgeous truck. Good luck!

Redleg130

Witamy

What a great truck. Very well maintained it appears. They are really fun to drive and people really find them interesting, I would imagine the ambulance doubly so.

My oil pressure runs about 60 too. I have read from several sources that Rotella (Shell brand) 10-30 is appropriate, and that is what I have been using. I have also seen recommended that Zinc be added and I have been using Opti-Lube ( OPTI-LUBE ZDDP OIL FORTIFIER - Quart (32oz), Treats Up To 32 Quarts Of Oil ). Zinc used to be a common additive, but apparently has been removed since engines that use smog reduction are damaged by zinc, but the M37 series does not have smog reduction. Do some reading about these oil choices to see if they are right for you, since there will be some variety about what people think is best. The lubricants mentioned in the technical manuals aren't commonly available or there are potentially better modern choices.

The brake cylinders are fairly easy to work on, and they make rebuild kits for them - New Brake Wheel Cylinder Repair Kit - 1-1/4" x 1-3/8" Bore - CC947623 – Vintage Power Wagons - the people at Vintage Power Wagons are very helpful and willing to recommend collections of parts which has been very helpful to me. You would need a set of drum brake tools and a honing stone (4 in. Engine Cylinder Hone (harborfreight.com)) to do a rebuild of these cylinders, which should be sufficient unless they are corroded/pitted internally. These trucks are very heavy so beefy jackstands should be used.

When you do the radiator, you may consider doing significant flushing since they tend to get jammed up with crud over their lifespans. I used Oxalic acid on mine and it pulled a ton of crud out doing that. It was a chore, but coolant flow was noticeably better on my example. If you do an initial flush and notice a bunch of solids being pulled out this may be of benefit to you. M37 Cooling system maintenance – Stickelman.net was my experience with this.

Getting used to the shifting takes a bit, but once you have the hang of it you will get better. It isn't good for it to grind, but it wont destroy it immediately, just do your best and with practice you will minimize this. It definitely isn't like a commercial car. Once you have the hang of things work on downshifting too.

My general advice for this truck is to get the Technical Manual(s) (the foundational operator manual and others at portrayalpress.com/product-p/tm-9-2320-212-10.htm ) and start getting familiar with the various systems. You can also get these TMs from online sources as PDFs ( steelsoldiers.com/upload/M37/TM 9-8030_M37series_operator_manual.pdf ). I have learned a lot about these trucks just reading these, and doing maintenance on various systems. It will take more regular maintenance than a commercial car, greasing things for instance is a periodic chore that new cars don't generally need but the M37 does.

(apologies for responding to 2017 post, just noticed this was an older original post 🤦‍♂️)

John Mc

Sometimes you see an interesting post and have to respond - only noticing afterwards how old it is.

On the subject of oil, I have been using Amsoil Z-Rod 10W-30 full synthetic oil in my truck with good results. It is specially formulated for these older engines and already has zinc in it. It's not cheap, but if you join their preferred buyers club, you get a substantial discount.

TAKPAK

Hi Mike M43. Yes, just reading the posts here. I also have an M43 ambulance. It's a 1953 (older one) and I like it. Fun to drive. It was totally rust free, but I had to rebuild the engine as it was frozen. It also needed a paint job. It was originally an Air Force unit, stationed close by me, so local history. It is fun to drive. However, with only a 90 horsepower engine, and a vehicle that weighs over 7000 pounds, you won't get anywhere fast, just steady. Some people get "spooked" when you go into curves, as it tends to lean a bit due to the weight, but I've never had any problem. As to oil, I am using a diesel rated oil, Chevron Delo 15-40. Your rig, being an M43B1 should have a newer transmission in it, as well as having come with turn signals. That was most of the improvements for the B1 series. Enjoy it. I have fun taking it to shows. I've even got a couple of skeletons riding in the back, as well as some medical supplies for show. I too had a siren, and I left it on. Be careful when you lower the litter racks, as they are heavy and can pinch real easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks