• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First First First

DrYogi

Hello. This is my first post to any forum, ever. If I screw this up, feel free to delete, or tell me what to do.

I'm picking up a M1083 next Friday and driving it back from Georgia. Can't begin to tell you how excited I am. Any insights are appreciated. Thanks.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Ma, an good Luck!

Questions are? Do you know the trucks? Are you a mechanic?
Get the TM, do a real good PMCS, have tools, and a chase vehicle. Be prepared in case of a breakdown with some cash? Then enjoy the ride!

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, read the many post through out the site regarding vehicle pickup and transport, all your answers are here!

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site and the hobby. Do you intend to show the vehicle at events? use as a fun to use truck? Hopefully you have some experience driving a large vehicle like this. Try to locate a member near to you in possession of one to give you the low down. Post up some pictures of the collection and delivery, with the "journey story". Good luck and success on that trip. As said digest the relevant T.M. for the vehicle (well) before setting out. follow tips and hints from the site on "requirements" (of a collection).

Nice truck here is some information in passing.

The M-1083A1 variant, approved in 2000, features a more powerful diesel engine, a better transmission and brakes, added corrosion protection, computerized engine diagnostics, and beefier drive line engine/transmission/differential connection components. Other upgrades in the M-1083A1 include more durable seating material and cargo tarp, beefier door hinges, and reinforced sections that can be used as footholds to gain access to the cargo area.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And read the manuals. make sure you have an understanding of the quirks of these trucks. One of them is the shift from (2nd to 3rd?) that is somewhat significant vs. other shifts/auto transmissions. Cab overs are also interesting if you haven't driven them before.

Read the LMTV/FMTV/M1088 recovery threads. They are all in the same Family, share some parts, but for the most part are similar. It'll give you an idea of things others have run into and such. There's a TON of information here. Take a few hours to read it.

And Welcome, good luck!

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take an air compressor to air the tires up in case the CTIS isn't working. You can buy or make an adapter to use a gladhand with air hose to air the tires, but that is also dependent on the gladhands operating properly, and many of these have bad check valves that make them malfunction. I would actually consider just airing them up with CTIS unhooked to a little higher pressure for better highway mileage. Take a couple non-vented gladhand covers, or a couple smooth plastic cards (like loyalty cards in your wallet) that you can use to cap off a gladhand if you don't have the non-vented covers to put on...in case a front gladhand is leaking. Make sure to take wrenches to adjust and tighten the mirrors. Like mentioned before, check the front hubs for fluid and add if necessary add fluid, it's a pipe plug with square drive. Until you add one you won't have a 12v receptacle, so take a 12v battery rigged up to power your phone or GPS and good windshield mount if you intend to use those. Maybe take a couple spare 12v bayonet base bulbs for the tail lights. Don't trust the fuel gauge!

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and despite the manual saying top speed is 55MPH, plan on doing 49-50mph just in case. 55MPH is pretty much wide open for these and mine wouldn't even do that because of a sticky throttle cable and repaired foot pedal support.

Lmtv772

Banned
Welcome from FL
here's my piece of advi :
Get acquainted with prices for transporting your truck via flatbed. Unless you are MOS 88M and know what you are doing, it is not an recommended adventure for anyone who never dealt with an LMTV.
Remember being stranded on the side of the road is not part of the experience.

I know that this is all very sound advice for a new truck, seriously sound advice! However, once you've got it under control you can't be afraid to drive it. Mine has 27K+ miles on it and I drive it like it were a car. Well not really but you get the point. I get a little nervous every time I read about what can go wrong. I take my PM seriously, however, they can be driven reliably. At least I hope so because it will make another cross country journey in the not to distant future.

DrYogi

Thank you for the insights! I'm buying the truck from another enthusiast, who is also on this site. He has been a great help preparing the truck for the trip. As for future plans; I plan on building a expidition RV. The truck will have a removable camper, on steroids. I also plan on living in the truck full time and traveling the country, for at least a few years. The goal is to hit the road in three years.

NovacaineFix

Welcome from very Southern Southern California.

Enjoy the new ride, your plans to travel in it around the country sounds like a dream.
Take lots of pics and keep us updated on your progress.

Good Luck!