• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First fuel leak located - sort of…

Rrent

I guess it’s all relevant- “good news”: I found the end result of a fuel leak. Some know I’m planning on new hoses and a lift pump to (hopefully) aid in a starting problem.
Now I just need to find where the starting point of this leak is…
I’ve been told it’s probably fuel line filter (spin on by a previous owner) to injector pump or the IP itself.D60FD406-D6E2-4DA8-83EB-9E1475002AC4.jpegF35EABB7-62AD-41B6-9F4C-7D0A973D17FF.jpeg

cucvrus

From here it is centered and leaking from the injection pump into the block valley under the intake and out the weep hole at the rear of the black valley and coming out the flywheel / torque converter cover hole. Please grade me on my wild guess. Thank you. And no use doing the I will dance around the injection pump problem. If it leaks there is no cure. it needs over hauled. Bottom line. Do it right and do it right the very first time. Drive on and enjoy. Or NOT. Do or do not. There is no try. Take Care.

Rrent

From here it is centered and leaking from the injection pump into the block valley under the intake and out the weep hole at the rear of the black valley and coming out the flywheel / torque converter cover hole. Please grade me on my wild guess. Thank you. And no use doing the I will dance around the injection pump problem. If it leaks there is no cure. it needs over hauled. Bottom line. Do it right and do it right the very first time. Drive on and enjoy. Or NOT. Do or do not. There is no try. Take Care.
I “you-tubed” changing the injection pump - looks like one of those jobs that I’d rather write a check than do myself. This has me trying to find a local guy. Central Texas area - if anyone out there is or knows of someone.

cucvrus

I “you-tubed” changing the injection pump - looks like one of those jobs that I’d rather write a check than do myself. This has me trying to find a local guy. Central Texas area - if anyone out there is or knows of someone.
It is simpl. I can walk you thru it. I have convinced many here to do it. Don't watch YouTube. They do it the hard way.

Rrent

It is simpl. I can walk you thru it. I have convinced many here to do it. Don't watch YouTube. They do it the hard way.
Is it a remove intake, unplug and unbolt IP, install “new” IP? If yes, what is the best currently available replacement? Or is there an easier/better way? Thanks in advance

cucvrus

You can do this. Yes the intake must come off. Take a few pictures and write notes to boost your confidence. No wizardry here. Everything fits together easily and no special tools are needed. Most is 13mm & 15mm deep & Shallow socket, 15mm swivel socket, 15mm wrench, a 16mm or 5/8 line wrench, a 3/4" wrench. and a few basic hand tools and wrenches. Let me know if you want to get started. You can remove the old pump and send it off for rebuilding. If you never done it before I would say 3-4 hours and it's off. https://dieselcare.store/collections/rebuild-services
I used these guys for the past 15 years and never had any major issues. Others opinions may vary. Stay in Touch. I and others are here to help. I will not direct you to reading a book. Take Care.

Rrent

You can do this. Yes the intake must come off. Take a few pictures and write notes to boost your confidence. No wizardry here. Everything fits together easily and no special tools are needed. Most is 13mm & 15mm deep & Shallow socket, 15mm swivel socket, 15mm wrench, a 16mm or 5/8 line wrench, a 3/4" wrench. and a few basic hand tools and wrenches. Let me know if you want to get started. You can remove the old pump and send it off for rebuilding. If you never done it before I would say 3-4 hours and it's off. https://dieselcare.store/collections/rebuild-services
I used these guys for the past 15 years and never had any major issues. Others opinions may vary. Stay in Touch. I and others are here to help. I will not direct you to reading a book. Take Care.
I ordered a rebuilt injection pump from Hillbilly Wizard and will start all the fun when it arrives. Until I get the M1009 a little more presentable it is living at the business I own - about 40 miles from home/home garage. Getting all the tools I might need to the truck is tricky- so, I’ll probably just leave my wife’s Camaro locked in a warehouse at work to free up space to work indoors - at home. I mention this because my goal will be getting this done in a weekend. The only real question my research-to-date has left me with is “timing” the new pump. I’ve got 4+ decades of gas engine experience, but only about 4 months of diesel engine know how.

cucvrus

Timing is as simple as lining up the pump line with the line on the timing cover. May need moved back a line or 2 but most times line on line gets it done. Good Luck. If it takes an entire weekend I would be sad. But if you don't need a core I would let all the lines hooked up to the pump until the original one arrives. We will all be here for positive guidance. Take Care.

Rrent

Timing is as simple as lining up the pump line with the line on the timing cover. May need moved back a line or 2 but most times line on line gets it done. Good Luck. If it takes an entire weekend I would be sad. But if you don't need a core I would let all the lines hooked up to the pump until the original one arrives. We will all be here for positive guidance. Take Care.
Weekend is more of a time frame for my Camaro at the warehouse. I’ll probably start on Saturday, in case I decide to finish on Sunday. I’ll send the IP on the truck back as a core after I get the new one on.
If I understand correctly - I’ll turn the pump gear (by turning the motor by hand) to get the bolts out and then just lineup the dowel on the pump, match the lines new pump/existing timing cover and I should be good to go?

Barrman

That sums it up pretty good. Then you get to crank and crank and crank and crank on the engine to get the IP primed and the lines bled of air. Make sure your batteries are up to the challenge and have a way to be charged. Pulling the glow plugs is a good way to let it spin faster with less resistance.

cucvrus

I would use a 15/16" socket on the main front bolt of the crankshaft. Turn it clockwise but do remove the glow plugs to remove and prime the injection pump. It makes things so much easier. And I never had to crank very much to get it primed. I just leave all 8 nozzle nuts loose and cranked 30 seconds and left it set. The prime suction is still there after you are done cranking. But only crank in 30 - 45 second intervals. Give everything a rest a few minutes. that is also how starter relays get burnt out cranking excessively.

Barrman

He is correct. I exaggerated a bit about the cranking. Since these engines normally start instantly any cranking more than 2-3 seconds seems like a very long time. 2-4 sets of crank for 30 seconds, let it sit for at least 2 minutes, repeat should have you running just fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks