• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First HMMWV, is there something I should replace before hitting the trails?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not so much replace, but go under the truck and check all the halfshaft bolts for tightness. They are notorious for loosening or not being tight enough, and as they back out eventually they will shear, leaving you in 3 wheel drive until they are replaced (only moves in HL or L at that point). Also the spindle nuts in the hubs should be checked.

A set of rock sliders/jack rails is also a good idea depending on what type of trails you want to go on. I know I tended to beat up the bottom edge a lot trying to fit on the jeep only trails.

Nothing really special needed to hit the trails other than making sure everything is in good working order.

0golf0fun

Not so much replace, but go under the truck and check all the halfshaft bolts for tightness. They are notorious for loosening or not being tight enough, and as they back out eventually they will shear, leaving you in 3 wheel drive until they are replaced (only moves in HL or L at that point). Also the spindle nuts in the hubs should be checked.

A set of rock sliders/jack rails is also a good idea depending on what type of trails you want to go on. I know I tended to bead up the bottom edge a lot trying to fit on the jeep only trails.

Nothing really special needed to hit the trails other than making sure everything is in good working order.
Awesome advice! Thanks man!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will want to learn how to do "BTM" or Brake Throttle Modulation.
Basically, you apply the brakes a little bit and hold them with your left foot, then use your right foot on the accelerator pedal until the engine overpowers the brakes.
What the partial brake application does is causes the torsion differential gears to bind, and it ends up acting like you're driving a straight axle truck, and both tires will turn even if one of them is up in the air (which is pretty common on some trails)

These things don't flex, so get used to tires off the ground.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum!!
Just make sure ALL the preventive maintenance has been done, all fluids and filters etc., put eyeballs on everything between the bumpers.
If you just got it from auction there is about a months worth of work to be done first, assume nothing, check everything.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read up about how to drive it off road, it's not like 4 wheeling a jeep. The suspension doesn't articulate like a jeep or other 4WD trucks. And don't forget it's 7 feet wide and doesn't fit all the places a Jeep fits.
As long as the jeeps aren't folding in the mirrors you'll probably fit.
I know first thing I do on the jeep trails is fold my mirrors forward all the way to keep them from getting hit.

0golf0fun

Depending on the truck’s history, it may be worth checking any rubber component on the truck. In particular, check date codes on tires. They can look perfect, but let loose at any moment if they are old. Not too dangerous off road, but unsafe at road speeds.
Thanks, that's a good idea. DLA warns buyers of the tires potential condition. Traveling home tomorrow, will complete preventative maintenance and tire checks, for sure.

blutow

Thanks, that's a good idea. DLA warns buyers of the tires potential condition. Traveling home tomorrow, will complete preventative maintenance and tire checks, for sure.
Yeah, if it’s an auction truck, almost guaranteed the tires are unusable at road speed. There are places that sell used or old stock tires w recent date codes for reasonable price. I just bit the bullet and went w new tires (about $2k). Some folks will swap out to new rims to expand tire options and get rid of the run flat donuts. I like the original split rims, but not many options in the oem size.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wash out and clean “the stack” (radiator and oil coolers)

change all fluids

look for leaks

look for tire cracks

look for loose axle hubs

look for fuel leaks on full tank when tilted up and down to ensure fuel cell is secure.

Last edited:

0golf0fun

Yeah, if it’s an auction truck, almost guaranteed the tires are unusable at road speed. There are places that sell used or old stock tires w recent date codes for reasonable price. I just bit the bullet and went w new tires (about $2k). Some folks will swap out to new rims to expand tire options and get rid of the run flat donuts. I like the original split rims, but not many options in the oem size.
Yeah, I noticed that too, not many options. I haven't checked the tire dates yet but regardless I should probably swap them out. Just sucks buying tires when they end up costing half the price of the truck.

thoner7

I’ve been waiting for mine and have a bunch of questions too.

I’d hope every bit and bolt on this thing are SAE !?

What level respirator do you need for sanding the CARC Paint!?

I’ve been looking through the TMs —things seem hard to find. I found the lubrication table with capacities of fluids and lube points, but there was no part number listed for oil or transmission filters. I also haven’t found the procedures for doing the fluids. These are more self explanatory but I can’t really find them in the TM, that’s the point. I won’t be able to find difficult repair items.

I also couldn’t find the ignition switch on the parts manual. I searched for ignition and starter. I saw it called a rotary switch in another part’s diagram, but searching for rotary came up with nothing as well. Was looking for a wiring diagram and wire gauge for installed a keyed power cut off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks