• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

first long haul

cosmobius

I would like to introduce myself to everyone and say that of all the forums i am currently involved with, this one seems to be populated by the most knowledgable and helpful people. I have not posted before but I have been reading the posts here to help me decide what kind of vehicle i want to buy. I finally decided on a M1028 and found a winner. I am driving to pick it up tomorrow. It will be a 250 mile highway journey in the truck. It seems to be in excellent shape but i am a bit nervous about driving it for the first time that distance. wish me luck! I will post phots when able. Thanks to all!

saddamsnightmare

February 19th, 2010.

Cosmobius:

Good luck on your trip with the M1028, remember, she may not be geared for higher speeds, so you may want to get used to the truck by not pushing her too hard. Often a lot of our trucks have sat much of their lives, and it takes them awhile to get used to being used regularly. Often we end up replacing deteriorated rubber components that fail or are on the edge of it. I will say my 1963 Swiss Unimog S404.114 has given me very little cause for worry once she got through her teething problems (she had 10,000 original miles in April 2007, she now has 18,000+, and ditto for my M35A2 in the icon annexed. Her last 5 years in the military and with her two earlier private owners saw her get about 1200 miles use in 5 years, since 2007 she has run about 9 or 10,000 miles.
She was last overhauled in 1989/1990 for Desert Shield/Desert Storm, when I got her she had about 19,000-20,000 miles on her, she's now at about 31,000, mostly high speed (for her) road hauling.
If you let us know your route, you may get a list of Steel Soldiers members in the area that could give you a hand should you have any problems (and we hope you don't).
At least most of the M1028 components are not gonna give you a hernia working on her. Stay safe and have a good trip.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan;)

moleary

If my experiences are any indication - take extra belts, radiator hoses, and plenty of fluids (for the truck and you). It wouldn't hurt to have a good spare tire on your recovery.

Most importantly, don't push the motor. I blew one up because the truck was willing to do more than the engine was.

cosmobius

Thanks guys. my route is as follows. i tried to post a map but couldn't get it to work.

I pick up the truck near Twin Falls, Idaho and will travel on I-84/ I-86 to Pocatello. From Pocatello, I head north to Rexburg and then turn off toward Tetonia. I am toying with the idea of renting a trailer for this journey. The truck seems like it is in great shape from the photos but without examining the belts, hoses, fluids, etc. I would probably feel better trailering it this distance.

I appreciate everyone's willingness to assist should any problems arise and likewise, it anyone ever needs any help in Eastern Idaho, I am ready and willing.

cosmobius

The trip was noisy, slow, and bumpy with no tunes and no drink holder for my coffee. I LOVED IT! The truck ran great. It is solid, great looking and i really want to sleep in it tonight even though it is about 10 degrees outside. I can't wait to start wrenching on it. The first addition is a block heater!

Thanks for all the help and words of encouragement. You guys rock!:)