• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First M1009

Screamer27

This is my first post on here, so Hi everyone.
Well my father was one of those crazy people who got one of the m1009's at Jeff City, Mo on 1/29/09. Deffinitely not a steal, but in my area, its impossible to find a k5 with no rust. It will be used as a daily driver, but it will also be used by the Local American Legion for Parades and such.

I am an ASE certified mechanic who has worked in many different GM dealers here local, and have been on the lookout for a beat up m1028 to use as a plow truck, and my father (retired military 31years of active duty) kinda got the itch and wanted a m1009. He have been browsing GL for over a year and a half, and he found 2 that he finally liked. His first choice ended in a bidding war that we gave up on and it ended up over 4k at Jefferson City, this one was his second Choice, ending at $3550. He filled out the EUC, and now we wait. I know everyone is going to say where are the pictures at, so here they come.

Attachments

appalacious

Looks great to me.
Note that the brushguard has the camo pattern on it. I didn't realize the military did that.
Even the pintle has the pattern.
J

crazyplowboy

Very nice looking truck, be careful though I am learning that OD Green machines seem to multiply fast. (Honey I promise I don't know how that wrecker and HEMMT appeared in the backyard) Good luck avoiding the green sickness, I am loosing my battle.

Screamer27

The letters on the back note it as a Missouri National Guard truck, has 54k miles, after looking at it, it looks to be repainted sometime down the line, along with quite a bit of maintenance in the not so distant past. Hopefully it will be a good truck / toy for him. He's driven many of them over the years, he got out of the Army in 01' so he was in when they first came in, and when they started to go out. He always loved the m1009 and wanted one in good shape, so hopefully this one fits the bill. I'm just not looking forward to the 5+ hour drive there and back.

Bobert

That thing looks nice. I like when the government puts a bunch of new parts, tires or paint on vehicles before they sell them.

I've seen a few around Des Moines, If you see one on the west side by 42nd that's probably me. There is also a guy with a m1008 around there. I try to hoard all the parts/ accessories that I can so if you need someting check on here or I might have some.

Mine looks somewhat like this now.

Attachments

mistaken1

You won the best looking truck out of that lot. The other one that went so high was nice too. I previewed/bid them both but ran out of money before you guys did! LOL Congratulations! Are you going to drive it home?

Screamer27

When we get down there, We will toss a coin to see it drives it home :) So yeah, we plan on driving it home. Bobert, I have probably seen you around. I use to work at Crescent Chevrolet when they where in business and drove down 42nd daily. A very good friend of mine lives off of Kingman and Polk Blvd. I have seen a decent looking 1008 driving around with a blade on the front, First saw it in Altoona, then in Ankeny, then on the southside, so I know it gets around. My dad is good friends with some of the maintence crew at Camp Dodge, so we stopped in and talked with them a few times. They must have got about 100+ of the duece replacements, all lined up in the back by the firing range. They also told us that they got word from higher up, that all of the CUCV's have to be gone by the 1st of October 09. Some have state plates (DNR TRUCKS) and will go GSA auctions, but the rest of them will go to GL so they said. 2 of their 1009's have the convoy style lights like a duece does, both beacon lights mounted on poles. They also have 2 super nice 1008's and 2 1028a2's. One of those will be mine. The bad thing is, 90 percent of the trucks they have, have spot rust, or some nasty holes at places. They all seem to drive, because each time I go on the base, they are never at the same spot twice. So if your in the market for another one, you should be able to get one or two. Also where about on 42nd are you from? My dad works over at Holmes, in the sales department, so if you drive over by there, you will probably see a m1009 sitting in their employee lot, that is once the EUC clears.

Bobert

I will have to start saving my pennies. Hopefully I'll find a hiding place by then. My dad was in the guard too and we occasionally go spy all the vehicles out there.

Right now i'm in Ames during the week, but my cucv lives about as far south off 42nd as you can go before hiting the river or in pieces in my sisters garage just south of the freeway. I'm not sure where that guy with the plow blade lives, I just see him parked at the greenwood on the weekends.

You might check out www.purplewave.com, das took over the state surplus over from ipi and they still have a 1009 or 2 and some bigger trucks that would have gone on gsa but now on that newsite.

Screamer27

Thats funny, I'm in Ames most weekends. My girlfriend goes to school there and has an apartment up there, off of South Dakota / Mortensen, right on the corner there. If you drive on South Dakota, its the building exactly on the corner of those two streets. On the weekend, Look for a old blue GMC plow truck, or Orange 88' IROC Camaro thats me.

jw4x4

That M1009 has a pattern very similar to mine. I bought 2 at once from Drexel Gardens in Indy. I have since sold the other one to Westy. Nice grab and congrats!