• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First M35A3

YOUNG GUN

I'm new here so hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

A few weeks ago I picked up a 1996 M35A3, and i've gone through all the fluids at this point.
I've been driving it quite frequently (5 days a week and around 60 miles each time).
The transmission temp has been running anywhere from 160-200 and the 200 was max in stop and go uphill traffic.
Today I finally decided to take it for a little off-road tour in some mud (nothing serious though) no tire spinning high rpm stuff, I took it pretty easy really, some low range stuff with the air locker engaged, etc.

I'm trying to describe what I was doing, but maybe I'm rambling now.

Main point of this...my transmission temp reached 275!!!
The TM says 160-200 I believe, so this is way over that.
I've searched other posts and haven't had much luck finding a similar issue.

Any suggestions, help, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

autigers35a3

Change the oil in the trans. Change both external and internal filters.
Consider going with DEXIII for trans fluid.
Erik's has both filters.
The oil in your trans could be very old .
How many miles on truck?
Search engine here is great.
You will probably be told very soon by many A2 drivers to check the search...
Good luck!!!

YOUNG GUN

- 10,500 miles and 345 hours on the truck
- I'm planning on changing the trans fluid and filters this week, even though the fluid looks fresh.
- I'll try searching some more, but I haven't seen the same issue yet.

I've seen some guys get blasted pretty good on here for posting a question that's already been discussed, so I'm reading all the TM's and searching threads for info

Thanks for your help!

YOUNG GUN

Also, after about 20 minutes of 40 mph driving (back home), the temp dropped right back down under 200??? I don't understand, but we'll see what happens after new fluid and filters.

Thanks for all your suggestions, and the warm welcome.
I've been looking around on here for a while, and this forum contains a wealth of knowledge.

YOUNG GUN

@Gimpyrobb: I've got an infared temp gun, so I'll do that tomorrow.

@goodguyzy: It couldn't have been me, I've only had my truck for a few weeks. I am however over that way fairly regulary. Where is the cooling fan located? I didn't think there was one besides the engine fan on my truck, I'll take another look.

YOUNG GUN

Are we talking about the large fan that runs directly off the front of the engine?
If so, it's always on... I thought they were suppose to run when the engine is running.

goodguyzy

when the engine reaches 225 it comes on, you will defiantly hear it. when driving you will also notice a power loss. I'm still no expert but it is pneumatically operated

YOUNG GUN

"Converter Out Fluid, Maximum" @300F

"Sump Fluid, Typical Continuous" @200F

Which location does the A3 take the transmission temp from?
I looked in the TM's with no luck.

Thanks

ranchhopper

Dont know much about A3s but if it has an external oil cooler you might want to make sure its not clogged with oil and dirt in between the fins it seems like it only cools at road speeds.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I first recovered my A3 the trans temp gauge hovered around 150 for normal highway driving and about 200 - 225 for stop and go traffic. Once I switched to Dexron III, it dropped to 115 - 225 for normal highway driving. With the Dexron III and short trips of less than 10 - 15 miles, the temp gauge doesn't move and stays near the 100 mark, which is the minimum gauge temperature. It takes a number of miles for the transmission to come up to temperature. That being said, when I get in very heavy stop and go traffic in warm weather, it will shoot up to about 175. When the fan comes on, it very quickly drops to about 150 while still in the traffic with the fan running. When the fan goes off, it quickly again rises to about 175. Returning to highway speeds, it drops back to about 115 - 125.

Your cooling fan should not be running all the time. If it is, you need to troubleshoot it.

YOUNG GUN

Sounds similar... so far in very heavy stop and go traffic (1.5 hrs straight one day) trans temp was 200, but thats the hottest its been on the road, typically it runs about 160 (even in fairly slow traffic).

Then the first time off road...VERY slow driving, low range, and front diff locked in... temp hit 275 but did not go any higher. Once I got back on the road, it cooled off back to 160 in about 15-20 minutes.

I was taking it really easy, so its hard to imagine that it would get that hot?

Sounds like I have some fluid and filters to change, and some other things I need to look at, like the fan operation, and the trans cooler.

Again, thanks for all the help everyone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks