• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

first MV, well parts of anyway...

illtemper

hello all,just signed up, great site.
I don't have any MV's yet,but have always wanted some. let me get to the point.

this may sound blasphemous or be the wrong place for this post,if so move it or delete it accordingly.

I just got a set of axles and 2 speed t case from a 71 kaiser M52a? wish I could have got the whole truck,but it was mostly cut up and gone when I got there. I know this stuffs in good condition and would love to use them,but the only thing I have that comes close is a 63 chevy c60 2 ton. I refuse to let this go to the scrap yard like the rest of it did,but what the heck do I do with it? I'd like to make an offroad recovery veh. out of them. any ideas?

most sites have little respect for anything over 2.5 ton stuff,so I really appreciate this one. being a truck driver I have a solid respect for bigger equipment. just like I read somewhere on this site earlier; "something to pull a stuck 2.5 out with"? , that was in reference to a 10 ton, but I think a 5 would do it as well.

my budget is low ,but I do have access to a shop.

any ideas would be appreciated. thanks...jon

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Unless you are planning on using the C60 for the conversion, not many civy trucks will work as the 5T axles are SO big.

Welcome it is addicting i started with a M813 and now have a M35A2 w/o winch,M322 ammo trailer and comming soon a M35A2 w/winch.I started in November of 2007!My wife likes them but is forcing me to get rid of some.

illtemper

I am thinking about using the c60, do you think a 2 ton frame would handle these monstrous things?

I read somewhere that the fronts are rated at 18000#,and the rears at 44000#,is that accurate? the freightliner I'm driving is rated less than that and I haul 80000# over the road, of course I have a trailer.

thanx for the welcome. theres just something about the simplicity,brute strength and reliability of military vehicles that's hard to deny,I'm afraid I have a new hobby...jon

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Jon, you should be OK if you only read this thread. If you have ventured into other threads I feel its too late already and you might as well put a GL block on your credit card. Welcome to the site, you have now been condemned.

m.walker

Thats the way it starts , I bought some axles . I then found a 5 ton at forestry auction cheaper than what I paid for the axles ! Then I got a trailer , then two more trucks , then another trailer , then another truck . The more you get involved with this hobby the cheaper you'll start to find things ! Then you'll wake up some day with a small fleet ! Your pickup in your avatar looks cool , any bigger pics ? Oh and welcome aboard , and no cure for the OD addiction . It just gets worse !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks