• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Post from Canada!!!

MilChevyguy

HI SS members...
Ive been bitten by the bug....first got a M105 trailer to "use" at home...(convinced the wife)
Now I have an 1986 M1010 ambulance coming....I think I am in trouble (haven't told the wife)

I joined up at work, but will post some pics once I get everything organized.

Im in Canada and just getting in the the Mil vehicles...been bored with cars now for a while and dabbling in
offroading and 4x4.

Great Forum...and I hope you guys don't mind the Newb Canadian asking all the questions....DONT WORRY I always search first!!!

:tank:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers. Most of the guys have the MV / Wife balance all figured out and it seems to work well for most of them.

They put their wives on one side of the scale, put the MV's on the other......and when the wife gets too heavy, the scale tips and she slides right off.

Then, for a while you buy more MV's to balance the scale until a new wife comes along and pushes enough MV's off to find room for herself.

It's really quite simple so Enjoy the 1010, while ya can.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome, from the other side of the lake.

MilChevyguy

Thanks guys,

From what I can find out my trailer is pretty rare here in Canada, its a M105 with 20inch rims, 1.5ton and made in 1988....full tarp, dual hand brakes, and air brake, full size landing wheel. (if anyone sees anything unusual on this trailer let me know some details)
The M1010 is an older 1986, 6.2l 4x4....just got it so doing a full inspection soon!!!
FS575358.jpgTrailer.jpg

Last edited:

charlietango

your trailer is the standard CDN MLVW trailer that differs from the standard US model in that it has the drop rear AND front gates. Mine is the same, yours however is in far better shape. It has been upgraded to the MLVW bolt together style rims vs the split rings. These trailers are good and heavy duty, too big for your 1010. ;)

kawkev

Welcome from the deep south!! Don't waste your energy trying to deny the madness!! Channel that energy into research and finding parts. That's a nice looking 1010 and trailer. Glad to have you aboard!! As far as the wife,,,,,,,,, well,,,,,,,,,, lotsa luck. :grin:

MilChevyguy

Thanks to all for the welcome!!!

>>>Ok I have a keeper (the wife that is!!).....she saw this post and said "cool" is that for the farm!!!

YES I guess that is a blessing because she knows we own it now!!!

Charlietango...do you really think trailer is too heavy for the M1010?? I can push this trailer around on level group pretty easy...supposed to be 2200lbs registration, but it can't be that heavy...I can't be THAT strong!!!

Anyway I figured I would have to move the loop down about 8inches with a spacer and I can haul it with my Excursion or Suburban too!!!

Dang those bolts are TOO tight by hand, anyone know if they stake the nuts on these pintle loops??

charlietango

I think yours is the M104CDN and they do weigh that much. Don't forget its small and it rolls easy. Try to lift the tongue, that will give you an idea. They carry 1.5 tons, which is probably okay to pull on a 1010 but the lunette (Ring) on the trailer is WAAAy too high for a standard pickup and the tongue weight will be diving onto your hitch, (unless you can raise your receiver claw about 8 inches on a standard pickup truck bumper) The MLVW (M35) claw is about 40.5" from what I remember to get that sucker riding level. There is a trailer designed for the CUCV series with 16" rims called the M101a2

You towing that with a Titan?

Last edited:

MilChevyguy

Right now I have an Excursion that I can tow this with or 2- 1500 Suburban trucks.....not to dump on the Titan, but can that pull a trailer that heavy??

I have a steel tube spacer for the ring to be lowered 8inchs...but my problem is the 4 bolts holding it on the trailer...REALLY TIGHT, broke an L-handle and a regular socket.
Gona try some heat on the nuts and see but its too cold right now since Im working outside.

The guy I bought the trailer from dropped it off for me so I haven't towed it myself yet....would look great behind my green Excursion though!!!
Im gona check the tag and paperwork again and see if it is a M104 or M105....seems I can't find any pics of this type of trailer, only the US style.

charlietango

only reason I asked is because I came across the exact same picture with a series of other pictures on the same site location from a guy on a Nissan forum talking about towing his trailer with a Titan, and I watched an auction on GCsurplus with that exact photo sell for a lot of cash. I think its a bit big, personally. Ironically a few weeks back I saw an excursion with an 18ft enclosed trailer doing the death-wobble down the transcanada before jack-knifing into the ditch. Had it loaded too heavy, around 6500lbs if I recall and it wasn't distributed properly.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but the dual tailgate model is the M104CDN4
https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm...htype=&lci=&str=1&ltnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos looks like your trailer bud! (admins; I know im not supposed to post auction links but this one is over and I'm trying to determine what trailer he got, any issues with that please send me a message)

Read this thread, especially the part about the braking;
http://www.cdn-ntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4873&p=71837 -this may be the guy you bought from

Last edited:

MilChevyguy

Charlietango...my heart just dropped.....I just paid double for this trailer and it sold for $1700 ! ! ! !
That is the same pic from the ad I saved and I posted here ! ! !

DID I just get ripped off or is this trailer worth it??.....can you send me the link with the Titan? you can PM it or post here too.

Thanks for the update but sometimes ignorance is bliss !!!

charlietango

sorry i since edited my post to reflect that forum convo,

its a lot for that trailer I think, and it definitely pays to shop around. It is however a nice looking trailer. How is the rust under? you south-easterners still use that bloody salt...

Ripped off , are you happy with it? All this really means is you have to buy an M35A2 to go with it. I'd say suck it up and see the rainbows in all this lol. Now go talk to the wife ....

I didn't mean to bum you out here, my intention is that you tow that beast safely. They do run away if your not careful and i've seen them roll over on the back of an MLVW down un-even grades

Last edited:

MilChevyguy

.....oh man, I should have joined up here on SS BEFORE going shopping for Mil trucks and trailers:cry:

I guess if I don't get this hitch thing sorted out and the M1010 doesnt work to tow it...Im in trouble

Is the value of a M1010 good at $4000 in Canada? the others I saw listed were 5K -7K...so it seemed like a deal

If I start looking for an M35A2.....I prob get a bad one too.....BUT I would love one.....ANYONE listing one in Canada??

charlietango

do a search, there are ways of bringing them over. From private hands in states that don't require titles (sometimes there aren't titles) purchased before the EUC's were signed are all good to go. There are some in Neepawa MB right now, shipping would be a lot. Ignorance is in fact bliss and you have to swing with the punches getting into this hobby. Learn from your lessons but LOVE what you purchase, no matter what. I have been in this game over 10 years (i'm only 34 years old too) and can help guide you, but I can never make promises lol

M35's, just find a good old runner. Even the bad ones are awesome. You need tools, you need to read, and read some more. I have an M1009 and been through a lot of the typical CUCV and Deuce headaches. I got through them all, reading, asking questions, reading some more...

I bought my 1009 for around 5k, so yea your 1010 was a good market price for sure

here is my fleet (sans 104 trailer) http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?95578-MacRae-s-Fleet

Last edited:

MilChevyguy

Thanks CT...I def like your fleet....
I had some money set aside for a late model dually, but that has quickly changed to the Mil trucks addiction!!!

I see lots of US stuff that is great, but don't know if I can get into the paperwork to get them into Canada.....I mean how hard can it be dealing with 2 Governments ! ! ! !

if you can PM me the details of the trucks listed in Neepawa...I that is a start for sure!!! Maybe I can sell off some stuff and get going.