• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Post - Looking at a M101A2 - Have a few ?'s

pbcolt

Hi all -

Looking to possibly buy a used M101 - probably an A2 to build as a utility hauler/camping trailer. Plans include a custom lid that both holds a rooftop tent and hinges so half of the trailer can be accessed with the tent on. Down the road I'd like to put a removable slide out camp kitchen in it. The tow vehicle will be a '14 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition - towing capacity of 4700lbs. Because of the somewhat limited towing capacity, I'd like to: swap out the surge brakes/axle/steel rims/tires with a dexter axle with electric brakes and a bolt pattern to accept some 17" alloy wheels to match my 4Runner and smaller tires. I'd also like to swap out the pintle hitch with a 2" max coupler hitch.

A few questions hopefully you guys can help me with:

1. Is there a market for the parts I will be taking off my trailer? If so, how much could I realistically expect to sell those things for?
2. Has anyone added a telescoping frame system that would allow an annex that comes with a rooftop tent to be used?
3. Considering the weight of the bed, I'm wondering if it would be better to buy a m116a3 or just a m101 frame and build a custom box on top of it given my need. Thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

harleyhouse

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

Please edit your user profile to list your State of residence. The U.S. is not a state. ;-)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
YOu can buy a M101(with the 5bolt m37 wheels) and convert it to surge brakes if you can't find an A2 for a reasonable amount. Its all bolt on.

John Galt

1. You may be able to get a few dollars more than shipping cost for small parts and probably scrap value for large parts. Remember, people that buy these trailers tend to be somewhat frugal and know that you can buy an entire trailer for $500. I was able to sell my basically new tires for ~$75.

2. Yes, several of them on Expo. Although good efforts, I am not a fan of most. To do it correctly (be able to set it up with one person), I would use linear actuators (4) to raise and lower the rack and machined slides/guides (not tubing inside of tubing). For simplicity, I would pick a height and go with a stationary rack.

3. The beds are heavy, I thought I saw it posted that they are ~500lbs. As mark said, putting them on a diet is a challenge when doing an expo build. Not much to take off but a lot to add on. My trailer is pushing 1600 lbs empty. I do have a 116A3 rolling chassis in my yard right now and it is significantly lighter without the bed. You could probably get a decent amount of cash back selling a bed in good shape though.

1Louder

I would buy a M116A3 and build the box you want to build. That is if you want some other than an open box with a cover. There are lots of cool M101 trailers on here and Expedition Portal but that style does not fit my needs. Everyone is different. I recently bought a M116 and just did an axle conversion on it. That was the best route to make everything work with my FJ. It now has electric brakes and a torsion axle. Lots of weight from the trailer has been dropped. I can now work on building the box for the trailer to support a pull out kitchen in the back and storage up front with side doors. As for parts pricing no idea. I am in the same predicament. I will clean up and attempt to sell all of the stuff pulled off of my trailer.