• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Post: Need some advice regarding shocks and bumpstops

JCole

Greets,

I recently purchased an unfinished project. You may have seen it around the net for the last couple years. It's a Hino FB Turbo front half with a Canadian Bombardier M35a2 back half. The frames are joined in the center.

I need some help figuring out how to set up a bump stop for the rear axles. It seems that the front-rear axle will travel upwards until the axle housing contacts the frame. As I plan on using this truck for some moderatly rough offroading, this obviously wont work out well if the housing can slap the frame. Is there some sort of rubber bump stop in place to prevent damage ? I'm running 395 XML's and might end up stuffing a tire into the deck unless I limit travel.

Secondly, are these vehicles designed without the use of shock absorbers ? What would happen if I were to install them on the rear ? Can the shocks serve as extension limiters or will I need to find a shock that extends enough ?

Thirdly, I have to plumb in new brake lines. I'm not sure how they came from the factory, but it seems like I could run the brakes solid along the frame, then use a small rubber section to allow for flex, and then run them along the trailing arms and down to the axles. This would allow for a minimal amount of rubber hose and I wouldn't have to worry about tearing out a line from over extension. Any thoughts ?

Some pics:

20090228-hino5 by ColeSpeed, on Flickr

20080319-hino2 by ColeSpeed, on Flickr

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
b
Greets,

I recently purchased an unfinished project. You may have seen it around the net for the last couple years. It's a Hino FB Turbo front half with a Canadian Bombardier M35a2 back half. The frames are joined in the center.

I need some help figuring out how to set up a bump stop for the rear axles. It seems that the front-rear axle will travel upwards until the axle housing contacts the frame. As I plan on using this truck for some moderatly rough offroading, this obviously wont work out well if the housing can slap the frame. Is there some sort of rubber bump stop in place to prevent damage ? I'm running 395 XML's and might end up stuffing a tire into the deck unless I limit travel.

I would look for some of the hydraulic bumpstops to keep it from slamming into the frame. Custom mounts would have to be made.

Secondly, are these vehicles designed without the use of shock absorbers ?
Yes no shocks stock in the rear.
What would happen if I were to install them on the rear ?
Adding shocks would help a lot. It is on my list of things to do.
Can the shocks serve as extension limiters or will I need to find a shock that extends enough ?
Nope, you will rip the piston out of the body. Use nylon limiting straps or chain.

Thirdly, I have to plumb in new brake lines. I'm not sure how they came from the factory, but it seems like I could run the brakes solid along the frame, then use a small rubber section to allow for flex, and then run them along the trailing arms and down to the axles. This would allow for a minimal amount of rubber hose and I wouldn't have to worry about tearing out a line from over extension. Any thoughts ?
Thats the way they are installed stock. It has served us well.

Some pics:

20090228-hino5 by ColeSpeed, on Flickr

20080319-hino2 by ColeSpeed, on Flickr

Hope this helps.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is crazy and awesome. Crazy and awesome is the best kind of awesome.

Kohburn

timken bump stops would outlive any solid rubber ones due to being taller and designed to squish for increased load capacity. it would obviously be a custom application but the bellowed bump stop should do the trick of not wearing out as fast while protecting the frame

zout

JC - pm me the full VIN # please.

The cab is an early Hino cab from the late 80's and then turned into a model production of an FE - then turned into the NE which discontinued the cab over into a long nose.

Plus if you can get better pics of the suspension - axle to frame areas that will be a significant help to those that are looking.

Have you looked into air bags ! or are you just wanting axle stops beacuse you are already bottoming these out.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A simple Google search for USA 6x6 will get you plenty of reading. (notice the tag on the wiper)

JCole

A simple Google search for USA 6x6 will get you plenty of reading. (notice the tag on the wiper)
The wheels were set up as double headlocks with a custom backspace. Usa6x6 did the work and got the backspace wrong. I'm having slavers made for the front wheels, otherwise the steering knuckle touches the wheel.

Edit: spacers not slavers. **** autocorrect.

Last edited:

Jake0147

All the original was is a (good) rubber bumper contacted by a pad on the axle mounting hardware. If you don't have the bump stops, you've more than likely still got the mounting holes. If you don't have the axle hardware with the pads... Probably one of the Timbren load boosting rubber baby buggy bumpers would be a valid solution.

Attachments

JCole

All the original was is a (good) rubber bumper contacted by a pad on the axle mounting hardware. If you don't have the bump stops, you've more than likely still got the mounting holes. If you don't have the axle hardware with the pads... Probably one of the Timbren load boosting rubber baby buggy bumpers would be a valid solution.

Thanks for the picture. Any chance you could take a pic of the front rear axle bump stop ?

Flat Black

bumping this for updated info and pics. Plans were driveshafts and brake lines, a flat bed and potentially a bed mounted crane or winch. Cheers