• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First purchase 2008 refurbished - M1123A2

cryptofile

Got mine, a 2004 M1123 about 6 months ago. Like most of truck culture there's no lack of things to blow money on. So as a break from all that, some cost-effective suggestions.

Most auto parts stores carry a rear view mirror that you can tack on in minutes with self-tapping screws for around $20.

I recommend a pinball hitch (google it) from ebay, MME, or FedMilParts. HarboarFrate sells a "hitch extender with step" for around $30 - so you put those two together and it makes getting in and out of the hmmwv's "truckbed" a lot easier.

Mine had the fan thermostat disconnected when I picked it up so the fan ran full speed all the time, maybe useful for deployed state "over there" hot situations but my guess is you'll want it to operate more normally so you may want to prioritize connecting that back up and adding the ground harness that is commonly recommended. Because the fan ran wide open all the time for its whole lifetime, I found myself having to replace the water pump almost immediately (water pump runs inline with fan.) Good news is a $100 Duralast water pump from Auto Zone - the one with 2 ports on it - and a very fine local diesel mechanic fixed that issue, so that's now better than new IMO.

If its slow to start don't run out and replace glow plugs... assuming you see smoke indicating that fuel is getting in there, use a little ether in the air intake to encourage a cold start.

Here's hoping the covid delays are over and your EUC can come quickly. Mine took around 8 months last year. Yeah, that sucked. Worked out well in the end. Give yourself some time to enjoy the Barstow area: https://www.barstowca.org/residents/about-barstow/history.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got mine, a 2004 M1123 about 6 months ago. Like most of truck culture there's no lack of things to blow money on. So as a break from all that, some cost-effective suggestions.

Most auto parts stores carry a rear view mirror that you can tack on in minutes with self-tapping screws for around $20.

I recommend a pinball hitch (google it) from ebay, MME, or FedMilParts. HarboarFrate sells a "hitch extender with step" for around $30 - so you put those two together and it makes getting in and out of the hmmwv's "truckbed" a lot easier.

Mine had the fan thermostat disconnected when I picked it up so the fan ran full speed all the time, maybe useful for deployed state "over there" hot situations but my guess is you'll want it to operate more normally so you may want to prioritize connecting that back up and adding the ground harness that is commonly recommended. Because the fan ran wide open all the time for its whole lifetime, I found myself having to replace the water pump almost immediately (water pump runs inline with fan.) Good news is a $100 Duralast water pump from Auto Zone - the one with 2 ports on it - and a very fine local diesel mechanic fixed that issue, so that's now better than new IMO.

If its slow to start don't run out and replace glow plugs... assuming you see smoke indicating that fuel is getting in there, use a little ether in the air intake to encourage a cold start.

Here's hoping the covid delays are over and your EUC can come quickly. Mine took around 8 months last year. Yeah, that sucked. Worked out well in the end. Give yourself some time to enjoy the Barstow area: https://www.barstowca.org/residents/about-barstow/history.
Ether is usually discouraged in this style of engine. Engines with pre-combustion chambers and glow plugs can become severely damaged if ether is used, even if used sparingly.

Ajax MD

In anticipation of Maryland's vehicle safety inspection, I equipped my wife's HMMWV with reverse lights using a kit from Black Dog Customs.
I also installed a license plate light and an interior rearview mirror.

I decided that I really wanted to keep the truck as military as possible and I found what appears to be a genuine AMGEN interior mirror that the military just doesn't bother to install:

When the mirror arrived I thought "This thing is so small as to be useless." I was wrong, it works fine in conjunction with the other mirrors.

Action

I decided that I really wanted to keep the truck as military as possible and I found what appears to be a genuine AMGEN interior mirror that the military just doesn't bother to install:
Uh. That is just made by the person selling it. The description states the bracket has a patent.

As far as a rearview mirror. Take $3 and some fishing line to a junkyard. Use the fishing line to get the mount off the windshield. Buy mirror adhesive at store.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are cheap rear-view mirrors for sale everywhere. Mirrors that fit Toyota FJ's, mirrors that fit old antiques, etc...

I was gonna install one in my M1025 but...

Now I own a second set of sponsons and rear hatch lid, so I'm considering cutting in windows and a rear windshield wiper. Then I can install one.

Either that or finally install that rear-view camera.

Havick206

Just keeping everyone updated. Still in EUC purgatory. Slowly collecting some parts I'll need for sure as they come up.

I just got a new warehouse, so I'm looking at keeping my eye on GP to see if I can snag a few decent deals and even some non running ones as parts queens.

Havick206

Quick update. EUC just got approved and the SF97 is on the way also.

For everyone else's sake here's the timing. Won bid 01/20/21. EUC approved 04/25/21.

I'll keep an update of the title and tags side of things when I get around to processing that in MT.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ether is usually discouraged in this style of engine. Engines with pre-combustion chambers and glow plugs can become severely damaged if ether is used, even if used sparingly.
It is yours, You can ruin it if you want.
Nitro works good too, hook up the bottle, She will start

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1) Welcome to the best site of it's kind.
2) Nice truck (12k buys a rusted, beet up 4X4 pickup in my area)
3) I like the configuration, I agree with you to keep it this way.
4) When are you buying the next one?.... Yah, I know, "this is the only one I want". That'll last a few months. Hope you have a long driveway! :smile:
:driver:

Havick206

1) Welcome to the best site of it's kind.
2) Nice truck (12k buys a rusted, beet up 4X4 pickup in my area)
3) I like the configuration, I agree with you to keep it this way.
4) When are you buying the next one?.... Yah, I know, "this is the only one I want". That'll last a few months. Hope you have a long driveway! :smile:
:driver:
As for your point #4, once I do the dry run with full on road title and tags I plan on buying as many as I can get my hands on (without overpaying) now that I have a massive hangar and full workshop with heavy duty in ground lift etc to store them in.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for your point #4, once I do the dry run with full on road title and tags I plan on buying as many as I can get my hands on (without overpaying) now that I have a massive hangar and full workshop with heavy duty in ground lift etc to store them in.
The force is strong with this one...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks