• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Road Trip

JR

I am going to be going on a 4 to 5 hour journey from Va Beach to the Rally in Syria VA. Any advise for a first time road tripper? I know I am going to at-least go to northern tools and pick up a bottle jack and a giant socket wrench so I can change a tire if needed. What are the lug nut size on these anyway? Any other tool recommendations?

JR

do you have to hold the bud nuts sometimes to get the lug nuts off? will an open ended wrench work?

spare tire equipment

minimum equipment to change a deuce tire; 1 1/2" hex socket, 13/16" square socket (1 1/2" budd socket combines these), 3//4" breaker bar with long extension, hydraulic bottle jack, 2 jack stands (one for the axle, the other for the extension), piece of steel pipe (cheater bar for breaker bar) 3' minimum, 5-7' better, a piece of 2x6" maybe 24" long (drive inner tire over this to remove outer tire, no jack required), can of PB blaster, wire brush to clean wheel before putting spare on.

Nice to have stuff; tire pressure gauge, some way to add air to tire (gladhand with hose and locking tire chuck (I have a CO2 tank with a regulator set up), air tools with appropriate fittings, a helper (aka soldier 2)

Note that this is just for replacing the flat with the spare. To actually fix the flat is another job altogether requiring some special tools and skills. With the availability of spare tires (sometimes as cheap as $100 per tire on the rim) throwing an extra tire/rim combo in the back is also a good idea.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Spare fuel filters for all three cans.

Two hot batteries (running the truck with dead batteries can kill an alternator).

Five gallons of water and min two gallons of anti-freeze.

At least one gallon of oil.

Dot 5 brake fluid (at least a quart) and a small funnel to get it into the MC.

Min 5 gallons of diesel fuel (the only thing that lies more than a career politician is a deuce fuel gauge).

There should be a deuce recovery check list on here somewhere.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
and a couple sticks of possum jerky...

Heavysteven

Well, I carry almost every tool I own in mine. I even have an 8 ft ladder and creeper. Probally over kill, just don't want to be stuck in the side of the road. Spare filters and belts are a must.

I have an quick connect air connection under the glove box for my impact gun.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Spare fuel filters for all three cans.
Two hot batteries (Dead batteries can kill an alternator, and a good freaky night).
Five gallons of water and min two gallons of anti-freeze.
At least one gallon of oil, used is OK if yer gonna sell the truck anyway.
Dot 5 brake fluid (at least a quart) and a small funnel to get it into the MC. (I use tiny funnels for other things to.....)
Min 5 gallons of diesel fuel (the only thing that lies more than a career politician is a deuce fuel gauge or a feller named Wreckerman).
2.5 gallons of paint thinner in case ya want a REALLY Hot startup!!
There should be a deuce recovery check list on here somewhere.

Gosh and golly gee...I guess that about covers it.:roll:

Attachments

JCKnife

Y'all are talking about recovery but OP is asking about road trip. Not necessarily the same thing...

(i.e. I think he's gonna drive a long way ON PURPOSE, not because he has to :wink: )

rlwm211

I would suggest making sure your tires have proper inflation.

Top off all fluids including the oil, radiator, transmission, transfer case and differentials.

If this is your first extended drive with your deuce you have no clue as to how or what it will consume on the trip, so stop after 30-40 miles, and check a few things to make sure you are ok.

Hub temps should be consistent and warm to the touch but not so hot you cannot place your hand on them.

Your engine should hold a pretty steady temperature and about 170-180 degrees perhaps a few more on a hill and less downhill.

As to changing a tire, I have a torque multiplier and that is an invaluable tool for dealing with the inners and outers on Budd wheels. I doubt you will find one available locally, so I would get the proper socket for the nuts and also the inner. An 8 ton jack and jack stands are a must as well.

My operating philosophy is if I bring the tools, I will probably never have to use them. I am sure I am not alone in this belief.

You can bring all sorts of spares with you, but you are not travelling so far from home that you cannot return for parts and support. Now, if you go a thousand miles or more, then it is a different story. Even so, there are members here who regularly travel a thousand miles in their deiuce to a show and back and manage to make it intact and without major issues.

RL

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks