• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First startup

Benratt

Any advice on starting up a 2009 M1165A1 for the first time? Got it from govplanet. 1100 miles on it. Been in storage for it looks like 10 years. It has the 6.5L turbo. I have changed the oil and will change the antifreeze. I will check the fuel filter. Any advice on the fuel system, priming it or flushing it? Thanks.

aghumvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would drain the fuel tank and replace the fuel filter. Never know if the fuel cap was off at one time and someone put it back on. (Happened to me on my marine corp slant back from GP)
Might as well change fuel pump and check/replace rubber fuel lines while doing it as well.
Less stress on starter by opening the fuel system once.

Andrew

papakb

I see an awful lot of expensive options being thrown around here. Before I started racking up some major bills I think I'd try to start the truck and then check to see if there's crud in the fuel filter and how it runs. If there is junk in the filter you'll know the tank needs to get cleaned and if it refures to run then you can consider sending the IP out for overhaul after looking at the simpler stuff like a bad $20 fuel pump or a crimped line. If you get lucky and everything works correctly your ahead a couple hundred dollars!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with P,,, Drain/replace all the fluids, prime the fuel system and give it a GO!!
While draining/replacing the fluids pay attention of what comes out, THAT can give you an idea where the problems if any might exist.

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Boy this is a good question with a zillions ways to go. If it was an airplane lots of procedures before first start. If ones training / mechanical skills / time and money are unlimited then... before starting... start at the top of the long list.

I get the deal one can't wait to hit the road or trail and you could ... if feeling very lucky. What do they say "an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of Excedrin pills"

Fuel is very important. Location where once stored too. Diesel is very susceptible to algae. One doesn't want to suck that thru the system and then have to get crazy on a flush to work it out of the system.

Batteries. Have GOOD quality batteries. Electrical gremlins can be found in "new to U" surplus rigs. Checking over all the wiring with an understanding of what it does and connects to would be nice. Many times wires are cut, parts missing, requiring more Excedrin's.

Tires, wheels, hubs, brakes very important too. Don't let the year and mileage fool you.

Lube chart would be handy to follow along. All fluids engine, transmission, diff's, brakes, etc.

Being a Hummwv and for all the years in storage, it is good that your thinking where to start... prior to starting. Just know it didn't come with a dealer prep. package... so your're the one that it falls to.

Anything one misses will likely come back to bite one in the butt...so do your best now. Also a good time to learn the "in's and out's" GOOD LUCK !!!

It's part of the hobby and I'll let the gang here advise, CAMO

Last edited:

Benratt

Thanks to everyone. I’m going to make sure the tank is drained and check the fuel filter then prime the fuel system. I got two new 6TL batts. The oil level wasn’t on the dipstick. So I drained it (it looked good) and new oil filter. Check air filter looked new. Going to check oil in hubs and diffs. I have to put on a new SERP belt and I think I’ll give it a try.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks