• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Time Armour Buyer help

Churlish Church

I've had my m923a2 for a year so now and I'm nearing where I want to be with it.

So that means its time to get another toy!
I've been looking at a few different armored vehicles but haven't come to a conclusion. I'd like your all's help.

Pretty much I want to get apc or other armored vehicle that fits the following criteria:
Under 16 tons
$40,000 or under
With a turreted gun(Either gun or gun turret)
Prefer something that would be easier to moderate maintenance skill

Thanks for all the input!

Last edited:

teletech

I don't know that you are going to find anything that fits that requirement list.
Would a Ferret be big-enough and the little MG turret be enough turret? If so, that's the only thing I can think of that easily checks all the boxes.
Under 16 tons means a scout car or recon unit. The CVR(W) and CVR(T) are a sweet spot for size and weight, if you are willing to roll the dice and do your own import.
An Abbot would be just about 16t and fairly easy to work on, but too much money. There are a few more APC options if a little cupola turret is enough.
If you want something with a turret, plan on $60K+ unless you do your own import, in which case you *might* be able to squeak in under $40K.
Everything armor is hard, heavy, and hurts as well as being expensive. Maintenance can be life-threatening if you aren't very careful because of all the heavy parts and because everything winds up being shoe-horned into a reinforced metal box nothing is easy to get to or has enough space around it.

I'm not saying armor isn't worth it or you can't do it in your window, but it won't be easy.

L1A1

In an issue of "Classic Military Vehicles Magazine" there was an article on the restoration of a couple of French AML armored cars. If i recall, the owners paid the devil to find spare parts for their projects. Still, pretty cool armored cars.

Always liked this one myself:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old stuff, half tracks, scout cars, wheeled stuff, parts are expensive, the tracks are getting scarce and VERY expensive. Parts for these two vehicles are drying up fast. As for tracked stuff, you should check with your local law makers, it is not possible to drive full track vehicles, rubber or not, on the roads around here. If the vehicle damages the road, imagine what you would be billed to fix it. Parts are also a big issue for tracked things. They are very high maintenance vehicles and the chassis parts are hard to find and if you do find them, new at least, there is a "rule" that the people that make and sell the parts cannot sell to YOU, for less than they bill Uncle Sam. These examples are for US vehicles. I have no clue how tough it is to try and acquire and then repair/maintain a piece of armor from out of the US.

Don't think for one minute that armor isn't fun to tinker with and fun to drive/operate, I am fortunate to work for a place that trusts me enough to get elbows deep into the equipment and to operate things, but I see first hand how much attention they need and that if it weren't for all of the parts that have been acquired over the past 40 years, there would be not a snow balls chance in he'll that the equipment could be kept alive.

rustystud

Old stuff, half tracks, scout cars, wheeled stuff, parts are expensive, the tracks are getting scarce and VERY expensive. Parts for these two vehicles are drying up fast. As for tracked stuff, you should check with your local law makers, it is not possible to drive full track vehicles, rubber or not, on the roads around here. If the vehicle damages the road, imagine what you would be billed to fix it. Parts are also a big issue for tracked things. They are very high maintenance vehicles and the chassis parts are hard to find and if you do find them, new at least, there is a "rule" that the people that make and sell the parts cannot sell to YOU, for less than they bill Uncle Sam. These examples are for US vehicles. I have no clue how tough it is to try and acquire and then repair/maintain a piece of armor from out of the US.

Don't think for one minute that armor isn't fun to tinker with and fun to drive/operate, I am fortunate to work for a place that trusts me enough to get elbows deep into the equipment and to operate things, but I see first hand how much attention they need and that if it weren't for all of the parts that have been acquired over the past 40 years, there would be not a snow balls chance in he'll that the equipment could be kept alive.
So very true ! I was a 1811 in the Marines (Tank Crewman) on the M60A1 with Rise Passive. When we pulled PM on these beasts it was a major project and I know as a mechanic how much parts cost. Just on a monthly basis we would spend over five hundred dollars on consumables ie: filters, oil, grease, etc. The "track pads" alone cost in the thousands (for a set) let alone a bad "road wheel". If you broke a suspension torsion rod that by itself was in the thousands also. These where easy fixes that broke on a regular basis. If major work was done it was sent into the shop where civilian contractors would repair them. That usually involved the engine and transmission. We usually took care of the final drives and sprockets ourselves.
Just a few days ago my son was talking about Tanks and I told him "yes I would love to have a M60 of my own" but the reality of ownership is another thing all together. By the way. Tanks are a kick in the butt to drive !!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks