• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Time Buyer of CUCV questions

Corvette1974

Hello,

I am looking around for CUCV's and have done much research into them. I have pretty much lived here on the forum reading about them and the problems with them, but since I may be buying one sometime, I have one question.

What are the things I should look for / ask when looking at one or buying one? I know with C3 Corvette's it's all birdcage, birdcage, birdcage, but with these trucks are there any things I should know to ask or look for?

Let me know

Thanks,
Will

True Knight

Speaking of the birdcage, I have to go through my 75 and fix all the rust it has developed over the years. And all the hairline cracks in the fiberglass. I wish my dad would've taken better care of it when it was his!...

Electrical is always a big issue. People already don't know how to work with wiring, then people hear that it is 24v and they think it's black magic or something! So make sure someone hasn't made a rats nest out of the wiring.
And check for leaks. Some can be a pain to fix.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rust and hacked up wiring are the big ones. Seems that Andre the Butcher loves to hack on the CUCV harnesses. Good deals can be had on trucks purchased through the GSA but you better believe, they have been bastardized for the purpose they were obtained for.

ryan77

If u buy one off gsa or gov deals plan on replacing the harness!! Last 2 ive bought ive had to replace the harness due to people not having their sh7t squared away!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hello,

I am looking around for CUCV's and have done much research into them. I have pretty much lived here on the forum reading about them and the problems with them, but since I may be buying one sometime, I have one question.

What are the things I should look for / ask when looking at one or buying one? I know with C3 Corvette's it's all birdcage, birdcage, birdcage, but with these trucks are there any things I should know to ask or look for?

Let me know

Thanks,
Will
Look to see if a big truck is near :shock:

dstang97

rust and hacked up wiring are the big ones. Seems that andre the butcher loves to hack on the cucv harnesses. Good deals can be had on trucks purchased through the gsa but you better believe, they have been bastardized for the purpose they were obtained for.
^
this

86m1028

If u buy one off gsa or gov deals plan on replacing the harness!! Last 2 ive bought ive had to replace the harness due to people not having their sh7t squared away!!

I picked up one not to long ago from gsa with 11k on the clock & not one wire cut.

Even had the seatbelt buzzer still in it. I guess I got lucky.

On the other hand, I did get one a few weeks ago from g.l. that some stole the relay & glowplug card from (after it was bought & PAID for)

But thats a whole other story that some on here dont like to hear.

Last edited:

Corvette1974

Speaking of the birdcage, I have to go through my 75 and fix all the rust it has developed over the years. And all the hairline cracks in the fiberglass. I wish my dad would've taken better care of it when it was his!...

Electrical is always a big issue. People already don't know how to work with wiring, then people hear that it is 24v and they think it's black magic or something! So make sure someone hasn't made a rats nest out of the wiring.
And check for leaks. Some can be a pain to fix.

I am currently going through the birdcage process on my '74 and somehow my car has escaped the dreaded birdcage rust, even though my car has led a abused and not well taken care of life before I owned it. There is no rust in the corners and only some in the body mount area. I even removed the original windshield myself without it breaking and I'm going to reinstall it after the 'cage is done.

Will

Corvette1974

So what I gather is the stuff which I would have thought to look out for is what I should look out for. I refuse to buy a vehicle with butchered electrics, as they can be **** to deal with. Rust and leaks are something I already look for, so that shouldnt be a problem. I'm still looking for "the" truck at the moment, so I'll keep you guys posted. Let me know if you have a CUCV (M1008 or M1028) for sale.....

Thanks,
Will

Skinny

I would highly suggest paying more than you want for purchase price to get one that has been well kept. If you buy some junker thinking you'll pick it up cheap and fix it, you will be time and money ahead to just spend alittle more now.

Obviously don't stretch yourself too thin if you can't afford it. I spent more than I wanted to but am so happy I took the time to score a mint M1031 with low mileage. Only maintenance items need replacing, everything unbolts easily, and I don't spend time undoing someone else's mistakes.

True Knight

I am currently going through the birdcage process on my '74 and somehow my car has escaped the dreaded birdcage rust, even though my car has led a abused and not well taken care of life before I owned it. There is no rust in the corners and only some in the body mount area. I even removed the original windshield myself without it breaking and I'm going to reinstall it after the 'cage is done.

Will
Good stuff! Yeah even being in CA, sitting outside inop for 10+ years created a lot of rust. The t-tops didn't have a very watertight seal. It's one of my many projects! I love my Corvette!

I would highly suggest paying more than you want for purchase price to get one that has been well kept. If you buy some junker thinking you'll pick it up cheap and fix it, you will be time and money ahead to just spend a little more now.

Obviously don't stretch yourself too thin if you can't afford it. I spent more than I wanted to but am so happy I took the time to score a mint M1031 with low mileage. Only maintenance items need replacing, everything unbolts easily, and I don't spend time undoing someone else's mistakes.
:ditto:
It's always good to start with something that hasn't been butchered.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Corvette1974,

Welcome to Steel Soldiers! This site is a phenomenal resource! I suggest also joining a local MV club as well as the National Military Vehicle Preservation Association. You can learn a great deal from the people in your area that have already paid the price with bloody knuckles to rebuild their MVs. You might even be able to find one for sale in really nice shape that doesn't need a frame off resto!

The cooling system is critical on the 6.2 diesels. If the radiator is shot, replace it immediately. That heavy cast iron block holds in a lot of heat. Good luck in your search!

Last edited: