• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First time Deuce Owner

acvolt145

My name is Chris and I am from central Iowa and I recently purchased one of the M109a4 trucks from Sparta, WI. New to the military truck world- done quite a bit of reading and decided I needed to buy one. I see all the concerns for the transmission fluid and CTIS systems. Truck shows 200 miles currently and is going to get a 280 mile drive home does the transmission fluid need to be changed immediately or what other serviceable items should be at the top of my list?

LanceRobson

Hello, Cris

Welcome to the site. I have never worked on the A3 series so I can't advise you. You'll find that you get a much better response rate if you title your threads so the as much of the key information you seek is in the title. A lot of folks won't open threads if the title doesn't indicate that there is something of interest to them. A good title also helps folks later when they use the search feature.

First, I'd use the search feature in the Deuce forum and maybe use "transmission fluid change" as the start point.

I'd also suggest a new thread witha title like"M109A3 transmission fluid Qs?"

Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Lance

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been researching M35A3's (same thing w/o the box) as of lately and if you're talking what to do and check for immediately before your trip I say:
-check the condition of tires for dry rotting especially if it has flats.
-Make sure the fluids are topped off.
-Check the batteries: if the batteries die the fuel pump dies. Yes its a diesel but I read it a few times
-Dont let the fuel tank go below 10 gallons as I've read it can be a pain to reprime the system and its also a cooling safety measure.
-Electronics work: blinkers, etc..
-Brakes work, etc
-Cup holder for the road.

When you get home:
-Flush the anti-freeze. These CATs dont like to get hot and no telling when the last flush was. Also a good time to check hoses.
-Motor oil/ Tranny Fluid is something you'd have to eye yourself. Again no telling when the last change was.
-Filter change is a must in my book.

Then start looking her over from the ground up I suppose. Hope this helps. I'll be doing this soon myself.

KsM715

I wouldn't worry about changing the fluid just for the trip home. Inspect the fluid but no need to change it before you drive it home. Things I would worry about would be the brakes and the tires. If the either of the fronts are flat when you pick it up you need to swap them to the back and put known good tires on the front.

Oh, and welcome to SteelSoldiers from Kansas

91W350

I agree completely with my fellow Kansan... all the way down to rolling out the welcome mat. Grab a thread and enjoy, I am sure it has been addressed before. Glen

acvolt145

Thanks again guys, hopefully the recovery goes smooth and i believe it with with such a short drive. I was talking about when i get home to flush the coolant and with such low mileage wasn't sure if i should change the tranny from the motor to tranny fluid asap or just when the time allows.

velociT

Once you get it home, change the oil, and change the 15w40 oil out of the tranny to the approved Allison fluid.

With proper fluids the 3116 and Allison should last a long time. Enjoy your 109A4, they are rare.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks