• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First time out

MATT

I am amazed! Friday I took the 1008 out on a jeep trail at about 8500ft. It was a great day, snowing like crazy! The truck performed flawlessly in deep ruts and through tight turns. I ran her through some deep snow drifts and still no problem. Some collegues doubted this old truck would make it, they all chained up and almost go stuck a few times. I am running the Goodyear MTR tires and am very impressed. I had only one problem, a slight fuel leak at the fuel filter, I checkd the air bleed and drain but still leaking.

On the highway I onlt ran her at about 55 mph max, what do you guys run your trucks at? I only wish I brought a camera to show! Next time.....

1008, 4 inch ranch lift and add a leafs in rear, rancho shocks and MTR's, battery tray mod, manual glow plug switch and 8600 gvw

kenny

Your fuel filter has 4 or 5 holes in the back of it that have rubber seals.That is more than likely your leak if it is not the air blead or drain drain.I think the filter is about 18 dollars at Pep Boys and Auto Zone.

If you have the tire size that come on it,it would not be safe not to go over 60 mph for more than a couple of miles.I run my bone stock M1008 at 55 to 60 because I dont like going over 2600 RPM.

Now The M1010 that has 37 inch tires and a lift kit will run about 10 MPH faster and gets better fuel miledge with the taller tires.
13-1/2 to 14 mpg on the M1008 and 16 to 18 mpg on the M1010

Hope this helps.

kenny

I put C 69 on the plate because I have no clue what the real # code is.Also do you know what FH-O2 means?it is the blue sticker on the drivers side front bumper.
I bought this truck 4 years ago thinking I would never find another low mile 4x4 this heavy duty.I never knew how many there were out there or I would have left it stock box and all.
It is now my go any where truck.

kenny

I made it.
It was a frame mount receiver from a Chevy truck.I cut the ends off of it to where it would fit on top of my shackel tubes.
I cut out about 2 inches of the brush guard so that it would fit in tightly and rest on top of the tubes, then I weleded it in.Also the winch mount that slides in to it I made along with the snatch block.
I will post so close ups of it in about 5 min. for you.

Attachments

mangus580

Looks really good!! Thats about what I planned to do for mine.... only I was going to make it go on in place of the shackels...

kenny

I have one problem with it. I wish I had made it 4 inches higher because it drags some times when drive off clifts and some times steep hills. It just plows right through them and never slowes it down any way.
You want to keep the shackels just incase you nead to use them with the snatch block to get the full 24,000 pounds of pull.I have not had to use it yet for my self but may If I ever have to help out a 2-1/2 truck it would work great if I had some thing to tie the rear to

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks