• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First trip out the gate...

SMOKEWAGON66

So today ( 1-5-11) im planning on taking my 109 (sans van body) out for its first trip out of town. up till now, ive driven it 4 times around town, twice to the scales and twice just cruisin'. This first major milestone will be a short trip to work (bout 50 miles one way) but it should be fun. since i got the truck on Oct 5th, its leaked no oil from anywhere, started everytime and hasnt shown any reason to think it wont make it, so this will be a test. im hoping it goes fine but as always..i have several avenues of recovery just in case. ill try to take some pics while driving and if i can some at my destination. we shall see how it goes. wish me luck :driver:

OldDominionIron2

Enjoy the drive. I've had my truck for a year, and the longest I've driven it is about 70 miles (one way) to a gathering of friends. I want to make a 350-mile trip this spring/summer, and so far have no reason to believe the truck won't make it.

skidder

Hay good driving, I got my M35A2 a couple of years ago ,I had westfolk get from the base at Anvill Pa. an haul it back to his place,got hooked up with Dave from mass. an towed his duce across pa. to the NY turn pike to the Mass pike disconected an drove mine home to CT. 11 hrs an no problems. The NEXT big run was to Gilbert Pa. to the Red Ball Rally this pass summer 187 mi. an no problems. DO your PRE-Check an stay up on your maintance,an you will enjoy the ride an the peope you meet on the rd. Skidder

SMOKEWAGON66

so..i made it to work with no issues. the truck wasnt nearly as bouncy as i thought it would be, being that its just a cab and chassis at the moment.all the gauges read normal, no unusual shakes or shimmys (as far as usual goes with an old ass deuce). there is some water/coolant seepage around a draincock on the left side of the motor and some coming down from the top of the radiator..im assuming its just because this engine aint been run in so long its just getting used to being alive again. it didnt get hot and there wasnt any CL III's in that area. i took a few pics enroute, but aint brave enough to take any pics at work....although i was tempted because there was a F-35 JSF fighter being towed behind the parking lot my truck was sitting in and woulda made a bitchin pic, but....pesky security cameras are everywhere (sorry kids no photography allowed here...). i wont be able to take any on the way home cuz it'll be dark...i dont get off work till 2330 so i REALLY hope i dont have any issues cuz i dont wanna wake anyone up lol. ill post more and the pics when i wake up tomorrow morning....

Last edited:

SMOKEWAGON66

well i made it back home without any problems...other then i need to fix my dash lights...had to hang a small flashlight off the windshield arm so i could see the speedo...i dont know when my next trip will be but itll be fun now that i know the trucks a runner. heres a couple pics..

Attachments

RAYZER

Nice looking truck! Might be a little squirley without the bed on it though.I've had my deuce for a year now and wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. I just make sure the maintenance is current and plenty of wmo in the tank. Just did a 1000 mile round trip from central fl. To no. Ga without a hickup!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats ! Mission accomplished!

Good lookin' Deuce :-D and booty-full scenery, too :shock:

Looks like you could use a "fisheye" mirror or two, especially on the right side (very helpful) and . . . . OUCH - looks like you NEEEEED a HEATER :shock::roll::mrgreen::jumpin:

Godspeed, Sir !

SMOKEWAGON66

Nice looking truck! Might be a little squirley without the bed on it though.
RAYZER...actually it wasnt as squirley as you'd think. i thought it would be bouncy but it felt almost normal to me... i used to drive M35's in alaska in the 172nd SPT BN. they were all older then most of the soldiers driving them lol...

Looks like you could use a "fisheye" mirror or two, especially on the right side (very helpful) and . . . .
USAFSS.... yah i have a couple spotter mirrors to put on but im waiting for a delivery with new mirror brackets...i dont like the ones i have-they are waaaay to wide..so i ordered some low profile ones, and will put the spotters on then ;)

Last edited:

SMOKEWAGON66

Soooo i drove TGD into work again today, and when i went outside to take a smoke break, i noticed the truck has marked its territory...with a puddle of oil about 8 inches across :shock: now it appears to be coming from the hole at the bottom of the bellhousing so im thinking the rear main has taken a vacation...wont know for sure untill i can get some time to investigate further....man i hope it aint busted....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks