• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fishing for Freedom, Quincy Il.

mbehne

Well as the title says we attended a fishing for freedom fishing tournament this weekend. Needless to say, it was a huge honor to be able to participate and I had a total blast taking a Veteran fishing for the weekend. We had decent weather, fishing was tough but we managed to finish 7th. More importantly, my Vet was able to catch a bunch of fish just no really big ones. The reception for all of our vets was touching, they had approximately 120 soldiers participate this year (90 something last year) and the local communities really did a wonderful job. Probably the most touching part was last night at the banquet, the brass from Ft Leonard Wood showed up and gave a speech thanking the Veitnam Veterans for thier service and for helping bring awareness to our next generations of vets. They then gave them the welcome home they deserved but never received.

So far this was the longest trip with my truck and the first pulling the boat. Just shy of 100 miles and she ran flawlessly.

To any veteran on here, especially any Vietnam Veterans, God bless you and thank you for your service!!! Welcome home.

Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

mbehne

Thanks Wreckerman! I couldn't think of a better way to spend a weekend... fishing AND the MV. Forgot to mention one of the funniest parts...picture this, about 2 miles into a 50 mile trip to the weigh-in, after a long day on the water. We're rolling down the road, all of 50MPH, and Alex, the Veteran, looks at me and says " It feels like your bringing me home", choked up and unable to reply with any sense we roll on, then not five minutes later he is sound asleep. He woke up about 30min later and I couldn't help myself so I told him " no denying your all still Army ...If you can sleep in this you can sleep anywhere" he just laughed and said it was way more comfortable without the vest. Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks