• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fit on a uhaul?

hughscpa

Will a hmmwv fit on a uhaul trailer? I am trying to get a hmmwv home from NJ to IL and a guy is heading to NJ and will pull it home if I can rent a trailer. Any other sources would be great.

Flyingvan911

I personally think a HMMWV will be too wide. If you can find the width you can go by a u-haul and measure a trailer. It should be somewhere in a TM or someone on here can tell you.

autigers35a3

Tires to wide for a UHaul car dolly?
I have seen the UHaul dolly but never used one.
If the tires or 2 wide maybe 2 skinny tires of some kind to load and tow.
Not sure about the tranny and towing. You could take the drive shaft out.

nattieleather

Look around your town and see if you have a u-rent-um type place. Many of them will rent equipemtn trailers which will be big enough with ramps for the truck to fit on.

richark998

Try to find a trailer like this one. It is a deckover with a 16 ft bed and a 4 ft dovetail. At 8 ft wide it allows 6 inches extra on each side for the HMMWV. Place the rear wheels directly over the rear set on the trailer and balance is great for a gooseneck trailer. I've been hauling mine for a couple of years now on all kind of roads - including panic stops- and it works out great. My HMMWV was originally an M998 but with 1025 configuration it probably weighs in at the 7880 lbs given for the loaded 1025. TM55-2320-280-14 gives info on tie down procedure. I use the tiedown points up under attached to the frame, though, it gives me a better angle on the chains and does not put side stress on the shackles.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you not want to put stress on the shackles? They are tie down points. When we would rail load the HMMWV's on bilevel railcars, we would put one chain to each of the shackles, and that made the RR guys happy.

I have a similar trailer, a bit longer, but same setup. Works great for moving my M998, WWII jeep/trailer or anything else I need to haul.

richark998

The shackles are really designed for a straight downward pull like on the railcar or in an aircraft where the railroad roadbed is banked and in aircraft, turns are banked. This pushes the g forces straight down and the shackles only need to keep the vehicle from moving forward or backward. On my trailer I tie the chains off on the rail on the side of the trailer about 6 inches out from the vehicle. Going around corners on a highway puts some pretty high sideways forces on the chains, especially if my deck gets ice on it. I just feel more comfortable pulling with side forces on underneath tie points that are held with 4 grade 8 bolts each.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Richark,

I guess Im not following you. When we would rail load (or airload) the HMMWV's, the chain binders did not run perpendicular to the shackle. They came off on angles going to the sides, and often a foot or so infront of the vehicle. I'll see if I can post a pic iof what Im talking about.

I guess in the end it may not really matter, or be a personal preference type of thing, it is just interesting seehing how people do the same task differently. I use the 5,000# USGI 8 foot vehicluar straps, (not the standard CGU-1B 5000# 20 footers) one per shackle. Here is a picture of them I found online New U.S. Military 7'6 Inch Ratchet Strap, Military Surplus, Brand Not Specified at Sportsman's Guide I bought a bunch of them brand new at a MV show for $5 each... Quite a steal. We used the them when we airloaded vehciles on C5A aircraft when I was in.

I also use webbing Axle straps with D ring on both ends for going thru the tiedowns on the vehicle AND on the trailer. I dont like metal to metal contact as it wears metal and damages paint.

Last edited:

richark998

Here's a crude cut and paste of what it looks like from the side - pretty much like the manual says. The chains run from the mounts on the frame to the outside of the trailer where an attachment rail is. I use .375 high tensile "truckers" chains instead of straps so DOT just glances and passes instead of looking for tags and wear threads on straps. On my MUTT I do use the shackles though. On it and my lighter vehicles I hope I can go to ratchet straps.

Attachments

I just used vehicle haulers, LTL for shipping from FL to TX when I bought mine. It was much cheaper than having a trailer built. If you plan on hauling HMMWV to places then it would be worth while to have one built. Try using smaller tires to mount in place of the actual HMMWV. If you guys can ever get your hands on some M113 road wheels it will fit onto any tailer that can carrier the load. When I was in Iraq, we got boried and mounted road wheels for fun and drove around our FOB. Look in G503 under HMMWV- modifications you can see my test drive phots.

G503.com Message Forums • View topic - My Iraqi Lowrider and shadetree Armor

I live in the city so having a trailer to store was not ideal for me.

Last edited:

emr

asking if it fits a trailer rented from anyone requires the width and length of the trailer being rented before anyone can answer the question :) just sayin... :) and chains / straps are never straight down. :) well im sure u can but really :)and that pic is more than a thousand words, a very nice job and some one with experience on it there for sure , for no experience I would go with a longer wider trailer or have it hauled just sayin again :) When i put the Mule and M 38 on my 16fter they hang over like that front and rear and I strap below also... there are a guzzilion ways , some will even will work :) :beer:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks